Hello World,
    As the title states, I am new to this site and to Blackberry but this weekend I will be purchasing the BlackBerry Storm 9530 as my college graduation gift from myself. I've been doing some research and even though their are mixed reviews on the Blackberry Storm, once I was able to go to the Verizon Store and play with it; I fell in love with it and feel that this is the best investment for me right since I'm a college graduate. However, there are some questions I want to ask you guys because I know some of you have already had the phone for a couple of months.

Number 1: I know that there are different updates to the phone. There are official ones and unofficial ones. So which one is the best?

Number 2: I wanted to have a nice screen protector and case for the phone. Now I heard that the Invisible Shield was good, however I also heard of accounts that once the Invisible Shield is applied to the phone, that the click screen does not work as properly. So which screen protector do you use for your BB Storm so there are no starches and fingerprints on the phone? Also are the silicone case good for the phone to prevents minor nicks and bumps?

So that's it. I know that this site is the best and I know ya'll will guide me into the right direction. If there are anything else you can inform me on, that would be greatly welcomed.
    05-19-09 01:10 PM
    Welcome to the Storm and to CrackBerry! The majority of the community here are extremely helpful and welcoming! I am sure you will learn so much!

As for your questions, I personally cannot help you with the first. I have not upgraded to any of the leaked OS builds. I use the screen protectors you can buy at Verizon, and they work just fine. I also have the Innocase II on my phone, and I love it.

There will be a flurry of other responses for you, though!
    Last edited by Morf32; 05-19-09 at 01:28 PM.
    05-19-09 01:19 PM
    OK well 1st i would say the .141/5.0 hybrid as your os

2nd i would say get the incipio feather it comes with two screen protectors and cleaning cloth as well.

or if u want maximum protection you can go with the otterbox deffender.

OH YES AND WELCOME TO THE COMMUNITY
    05-19-09 01:25 PM
    Hi and welcome.
    05-19-09 01:30 PM
    what is 5.0 hybrid ? what does it do to improve the performance of the BB Storm?
    05-19-09 01:40 PM
    First off welcome! Don't mind my low post count, you will soon realize that surfing the forums will be your best friend to the point you really won't need to ask questions because its been asked and answered numerous times before.

I am currently running .132 and have had no issues to date. The stock .75 OS is managable until you feel comfortable with taking the plunge on installing a leak, which is easy to do.

For me, I ended up buying some generic lot of Storm supplies on eBay and they have worked perfectly fine for me. It included two or three rubber cases, a holster case and a plastic cover case. Its all about preference on what you like.

This is also my first BB and I really don't know how I ever lived without it!
    05-19-09 01:43 PM
    Welcome,
    To help answer some of your question..I stuck with the official os for about two months and just couldn't take it anymore. I followed the very informative and easy guides on this site and update my os with the leaked .132 and I love it.
    As for the screen protector and case, I bought the screen protector at verizon and purchased the seidio hybrid case off of this site. Would not recommend as it dropped out of holster once and it broke, so it is now taped together so I don't feel like my $60 dollars went to complete waste.
    05-19-09 01:43 PM
    what is 5.0 hybrid ? what does it do to improve the performance of the BB Storm?
    http://forums.crackberry.com/f132/95...d-beta-204517/

This link will help explain what the 5.0 hybrid is better then i can. I'm running that os and really like it, I have tried them all. After a few times upgrading your phone it becomes pretty easy and the performance of the phone improves.
    Welcome to the blackberry world!
    05-19-09 01:46 PM
    if you research in the os forums u will see this hybrid and it will tell u all about it there .. you will have to upgrade to .141 and them the hybrid
    05-19-09 01:48 PM
    Hello World,
    As the title states, I am new to this site and to Blackberry but this weekend I will be purchasing the BlackBerry Storm 9530 as my college graduation gift from myself. I've been doing some research and even though their are mixed reviews on the Blackberry Storm, once I was able to go to the Verizon Store and play with it; I fell in love with it and feel that this is the best investment for me right since I'm a college graduate. However, there are some questions I want to ask you guys because I know some of you have already had the phone for a couple of months.

Number 1: I know that there are different updates to the phone. There are official ones and unofficial ones. So which one is the best?

Number 2: I wanted to have a nice screen protector and case for the phone. Now I heard that the Invisible Shield was good, however I also heard of accounts that once the Invisible Shield is applied to the phone, that the click screen does not work as properly. So which screen protector do you use for your BB Storm so there are no starches and fingerprints on the phone? Also are the silicone case good for the phone to prevents minor nicks and bumps?

So that's it. I know that this site is the best and I know ya'll will guide me into the right direction. If there are anything else you can inform me on, that would be greatly welcomed.
    Hello and welcome to Crackberry! You picked the right place to get advice on ANYTHING berry related. As far as my personal take:

1. Try your official OS for a few days or weeks. If it works out great for you (as it has for me and many others, morf being one ) there's no dire need to download an unofficial unless you really want to. If you have a really bad experience with the original (.75) then you'll have to shop around with the leaks. Different OS's take differently to every Storm. You'll have to try them all out to see which one maximizes ur experience, ya know.

I did a poll here that shows (thru the stats at the top of the page) just how many ppl download leaks...b/c the original OS just didnt take well to their phone. With these OS's it's trial and error. One that works for some, may not work for another.

2. I personally thought the original screen protector that came on the phone from jump start was the best. It was nice and thin, and you hardly notice its there. The Verizon one's made my screen very cloudy. As far as cases go...i only use the silicon ones. They're great! I have a clear (or white) one, and a black one as well. Keeps my phone protected well!

Hope this helps...and again, welcome!
    Last edited by shaydakiss23; 05-19-09 at 01:59 PM.
    05-19-09 01:54 PM
    Number1: I agree you might want to get used to your storm a bit before upgrading your software. Not sure why you would want to stay on .75 even if it works fine though. The new OS leaks are much improved but you should break yourself in using the original software so you have an idea where your coming from, to learn the ins and outs, and so you know any issues you might run in to are new or old or software or hardware related. If you do run in to an issue after you upgrade it is really simply to go back to see if it gets fixed or not. You just need a PC, your storm, your USB cable, internet, and about 20-30 minutes of time to spare.
    Last edited by blaisedinsd; 05-19-09 at 03:31 PM.
    05-19-09 03:28 PM
    If you buy a storm after reading this and the other threads just like it, you need summer school...

http://forums.crackberry.com/f86/sto...-month-231122/

I suggest you do a little research in the rants and raves section of CB...
    05-19-09 03:47 PM
    Hey there, Welcome.

im sort of new here too and with my first blackberry, but since having it i havr had 2 problems and both have been sorted by checking theses forums.

so any problems check here you will always find help.
    05-19-09 04:16 PM
    I'm new to Blackberry and I have idea how to find out what operating system I have. Any help would be appreciated, thanks.
    05-19-09 06:29 PM
    I'm new to Blackberry and I have idea how to find out what operating system I have. Any help would be appreciated, thanks.
    Options> status.
    05-19-09 06:33 PM
    Welcome to crackberry! The storm is my second bb. It is most def my fav so far what everyone said so far is right. Give the stock OS .75 a try. And if you feel comfortable then upgrade. I'm running bell's .122 and its working great for me. Af for protection I use the incipio feather case. A lot of pp experienced cracking but I've had mine over 2 weeks with no problems. Their screen protectors aren't that bad either. Have fun with your new berry and if you ever have questions this is the best place to come!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-19-09 06:38 PM

First I agree w/ what everyone said about the OS's. I went with the .75 for a few weeks, had no major issues, but it was just too slow for me. Then I went to .132 and wow what a difference a whole different phone, now I am like addicted to upgrading to the latest OS's. I am currently on the .141/5.0 hybrid which is great also.

As for the invisi shield, I have it installed on my phone, and it works great. It does everything it says it does. At first I wasn't to sure with it with all the bubbles/imperfections and the texture of the phone, but the bubbles and everything went away within a few days and you can hardly notice that anything is there. As for the texture/feel of it, I don't really notice anything anymore, so either I got used to it or "I broke it in," either way I love it. The only thing I don't like about it is that it is a little snug trying to fit my phone into my cradle at night. Hope this helps.
    05-19-09 06:40 PM
    Options> status.
    Thank you. Hopefully I will get the hang of this phone soon.
    05-19-09 06:45 PM
    I would suggest heading over to the OS forum to read the reviews regarding the different leaked OS's

Also in regards to Screen Protectors i would suggest getting one of the Glare Resistant ones other wise you will deal with face sweat everytime your on the phone also finger marks from scrolling.

i dont use a case personally i just put it in a horizontal holster/pouch blackberry makes an official one and i would suggest looking into it since it puts your phone to sleep and it preserves your battery
    05-19-09 07:00 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD