I don't know what to believe anymore. Have any of you returned an old phone with a beta os installed and did you get any hassle for it??

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-15-09 01:24 PM
    do you need to have both phones to do the device switch? how does this work?
    04-15-09 01:24 PM
    my guess is the op is getting a refurb too.
    Oh hey you stole my avatar. Cool...not.

Sorry for the hijack
    04-15-09 01:43 PM
    Should I downgrade the os to the last official one before I send it back?? I have 109 on it.

Just wipe it clean with JL_Cmder. I wouldn't even bother putting anything else on there. Anyone who has gotten rid of an old smart phone of any sort, should take it for granted that you're going to wipe it of info anyways.
    04-15-09 01:44 PM
    Just wipe it clean with JL_Cmder. I wouldn't even bother putting anything else on there. Anyone who has gotten rid of an old smart phone of any sort, should take it for granted that you're going to wipe it of info anyways.

What is the JL_Cmder thing you speak of??? And what kind of personal info is on my phone after i use the device switch??
    04-15-09 02:59 PM
    That is a great question. I have an unlocked Storm on T-Mobile and was curious about phone issues and replacements. Anyone have any thought?
    You would have to go straight to RIM. Call their Customer Service and tell them you bought it at full price with no service contract. Dont know why they wouldnt honor the warranty.
    04-15-09 03:14 PM
    yep, just like the OP except I went into a verizon store. I said "dust under screen" the manager took a look at my phone and said "let me see if we have any in stock". They did not, but he had one FedEx 2-day to my house. Just got the new one yesterday. Used device switch in the DM, and I am amazed at how easy it all was. All my apps, calendar, messages, settings, wallpaper, beta OS, everything is exactly like my old phone. Except with a shinny new dust free handset.

Thanks to Verizon La Jolla for no hassels no questions, thanks to RIM for making the device switch work perfectly.

Edit: oh yea and I'm well outside of the 30 day return window. Had mine since December.
    Thats awesome! They didnt have to hook you up with a new one and did anyway. I dont know about the rest of the US but So Cal has some awesome VZW stores when it comes to CS. They may not know everything but in most cases they will bend over backwards to help.
    04-15-09 03:18 PM
    I don't know what to believe anymore. Have any of you returned an old phone with a beta os installed and did you get any hassle for it??

I've returned 2 with .109 on it. No problem at all. The tech guy in the store did say that I should downgrade but i decided not to seeing as how they had already sent me the phone.
    04-15-09 05:07 PM
    I have had a dust under the screen problem arise as of late. I've had my storm since day one. So I called verizon yesterday and without any hassle, I'm getting a new one the mail via two-day fed ex. The tech girl also stated that the new os update will be out by the end of the month.

Has anyone got a new one?? What do you have to do when you receive your new one as far as getting it like your last one?? Apps, contacts, ect?

i got a new one because of this problem and i just did a backup of all my apps and stuff on DM, and ironicly ive had it 2 months and no dust yet so they must have fixed the problem
    04-15-09 05:16 PM
    Do I have to send in my old storm to receive a new one?
    04-15-09 05:18 PM
    How do you do a wipe and what exactly does it wipe from your phone?? I thought all my important stuff (pics, music, contacts, ect.) are on my sd card. Take me through me the steps to do a wipe. Do I do this AFTER I have switched my phones?

04-15-09 05:59 PM
    this all good information but i want to know if anyone has gotten a replacement from verizon even if they didn't buy it from them directly. i traded my voyager for a storm and i'm having screen issues (clicking)
    will they send me a replacement device?
    04-15-09 08:48 PM
    isnt there a law that protects us with products, for example if something fails and you did modify your car , if that wasnt the cause of the current problem, than they have to honor the warranty. So if you are content with your software and hardware but have a screen dust issue, why should they give you a hard time, it is completely irrelevant to the problem at hand.
    04-15-09 10:17 PM
    this all good information but i want to know if anyone has gotten a replacement from verizon even if they didn't buy it from them directly. i traded my voyager for a storm and i'm having screen issues (clicking)
    Here try doing this
    http://forums.crackberry.com/f135/cl...-style-184518/
    That should eliminate your clicking problems
    04-15-09 10:20 PM
    Do I have to send in my old storm to receive a new one?
    No, they love handing new phones out for nothing! Your serious right?
    04-16-09 02:53 AM
    lol i just take mine to vzw store...

bought one about 3 months ago and the screen was not clicking at all on the left side even with the credit card trick

they exchanged it no questions ask
    04-16-09 03:23 AM
    Device switch wizard is definitely easy. I just received a storm replacement for the first time. Had my storm since mid December, and am well pleased.

The screen clicks different, it is not as loud and feels more spongey when you press. You can feel the click but can hardly hear it.

That is telling me RIM has been making mild, unnoticed (trying) improvements to the storm.

For those who have had many replacements you probably would not notice but for those who have had their storm from day one with 0 replacements, if you have to do a replacement you will see what I am talking about.

Last edited by andrew3306; 04-16-09 at 03:45 AM.
    04-16-09 03:43 AM
    I think it depends on who you speak to at customer service. I bought a World Edition BB a few years ago off someone from Craigslist who only had it for 2 months and was able to receive a replacement because the phone was still under warranty. I don't think Verizon cares where you bought the phone from, just as long as its in their fleet of phones. Hope this helps and hopefully you won't have an customer service rep who is clueless.

Bottom line ... the Storm has only been out for 5+/- months ... the warranty should honor defects.
    04-16-09 05:33 AM
    It would suck to have to get all your apps transfered to a new phone...
    05-08-09 09:39 AM
    Is there any pics of dust under the screen, im getting it around the sides but never under. And i work onsite lol
    05-08-09 09:42 AM
45 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD