Hello everyone...newB here. I took advantage of the BOGO Storm deal and switched over to Verizon from Alltel (they were merging anyway mid summer). On the first day I was impressed but a little annoyed with the phone. The "clicking" takes a bit to get use to. Since then I've mastered typing, downloaded apps and all of those fun things. The phone had slowed to a crawl...with that hourglass and "processing" erros.

Well I decided to start removing programs....starting with Verizon crap. I killed the VzNavigator and VzRhapsody. The phone is flying along as I expected it to. It's fast and responsive. I was almost ready to throw both phones through the window at my local store...but now I love the phone. It's awesome.

Just thought I would share.

Where's a good place for apps?
    04-22-09 12:44 PM
    try the OTA apps thread. glad you're happy with it
    04-22-09 12:48 PM
    Congrats on getting the Storm, there is a lot of good info on here for you to use.
    04-22-09 12:50 PM
    Welcome and try the OTA apps thread like Veteran said and theres a few on appworld
    04-22-09 12:54 PM
    you should try leaked OS...
    04-22-09 12:57 PM
    Hold off on that. Learn the phone first. Leaked OSes are nice, but its better to get a full grasp of the phone before you go installing one.

as for apps, the OTA apps thread pretty much has it all. You can check the crackberry app store as well and app world.

Enjoy the phone.
    04-22-09 01:04 PM
    seriously read the forums about how to update your OS to a leaked one. .113 seems to work best for me and it wasn't that hard to do. make sure you read all the instructions on the forums about how to do it BEFORE you start.

Oh and App World is great for downloading apps and such. I'm a star wars geek and love storm saber
    04-22-09 01:05 PM
    WOW! Man you folks respond fast!
    04-22-09 01:11 PM
    WOW! Man you folks respond fast!
    that's why when i need help I come here first
    04-22-09 01:15 PM
    Welcome to the addiction!!
    04-22-09 03:03 PM
    bang a leaked OS on that phone asap, it will work better than you think it does. when that timer thing comes on, just open up the back and pull the battery out, obviously not something rim intended but it sorts it. .131 has a memory leak but not as bad as the other OS's I have used, recommend it.
    04-22-09 04:27 PM
    If you feel comfortable upgrading ur OS i would def recommend it..read some of these forums and give it a shot. Im loving my upgrade
    04-22-09 04:31 PM
    Hold off on that. Learn the phone first. Leaked OSes are nice, but its better to get a full grasp of the phone before you go installing one.

as for apps, the OTA apps thread pretty much has it all. You can check the crackberry app store as well and app world.

Enjoy the phone.
    Good advice! Ditto

One app I would recommend obtaining soon is QuickPull (search the Storm 3rd Party Apps forum), this will allow you to perform a reset of the phone without having to physically remove the battery when it's required.

Welcome & Enjoy!
    04-22-09 05:41 PM
    Check some of the leaked OS's, your phone will be even faster and work better! Search ota applications in this thread and there are plenty of free ones
    04-22-09 05:50 PM
    Thanks for all the suggestions everyone.

Question: Why does it take so long for the camera to take a picture? Now everything on the phone is fast (even in OEM OS) but that camera.....you click to take a pic and it sits there and sits there and then finally "snap" takes the pic.
    04-22-09 08:32 PM
    Thanks for all the suggestions everyone.

Question: Why does it take so long for the camera to take a picture? Now everything on the phone is fast (even in OEM OS) but that camera.....you click to take a pic and it sits there and sits there and then finally "snap" takes the pic.
    Yeah, it's slow... real slow. Personally, I live with it, then again I only take pics with my Storm when my digital cam is not close by. Although, it does take pretty good pics .

Some of the leaked OS's are reported to have faster camera functionality. As I'm on the VZW official OS, I don't know personally. I've tried a couple leaked OS's but they just didn't suit my needs, never actually tried taking pics when I had them installed.
    04-22-09 08:41 PM
    That is an OS snafu. Hopefully with the official OS release comming soon that will take care of that. It is irritating. Perhaps one of the leaked OS out there has addressed that, but, I would wait forthe official release.

Welcome aboard. Now that we have you, you won't be able to stay away.
    04-22-09 08:48 PM
    glad you like your Storm now.
    When you're ready to try one or several of the leaked os's, I think you'll find that any of them from .113 and later will improve even the camera. I've found .122 to be solid and fast, as is .131 with 5.0 (hybrid) that has been put on the forum (lyricidal posted it).

again, enjoy.
    04-22-09 08:51 PM
    Congratulations on the storm and welcome to your new addiction. As some of the others have said, I would hold off on doing an update until you are comfortable enough with what you can and can't do with it. As for the camera, I have noticed that it started to get better in the .86 OS leak and with the latest leaks works pretty well. Some of the apps that I would install are QuickPull so that you can do a battery pull without having to physically remove the battery, CaptureIt so that you can do screenshots in case you need to show something that is on the screen for help and app world so that you can get the latest apps available for the device. I would also take the time to read through the BlackBerry 101 How-To Lecture Series if you haven't already.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-22-09 10:01 PM
    Still loving the storm! I'm about to test verizon capabilities in canada and alaska in two days.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-29-09 10:58 AM
    OS .113 fixed my camera issues.
    04-29-09 11:24 AM
    I'm trying to gain the testicular fortitude to attempt the OS change.
    04-29-09 11:37 AM
    ....and a test shot c/o the Capture It app (thanks for the lists everyone!)

04-29-09 12:05 PM
    the camera speed is among many of the bugs with the last official release, in .132 it is much snappier, and takes pics like you would expect it to.

I do however have to agree with those who air on the side of caution when warning you to learn your BB first, prior to upgrading to a leaked OS, 1 wrong move and you could accidentally brick your BB...

I would highly recommend reading though the leaked OS threads though since you are new here, and see what experiences others have had, also read the thread about upgrading to a leaked OS. The upgrade really is not difficult, and requires patience, as it does take a half hour or so to run through.

Once you are comfortable with the device, and dead tired of the laggyness, and mishaps that tend to occur with .75, read the threads I have mentioned, and download either the .113 leak or the .132 leak, both are pretty solid for betas.

I personally think .113 was a little faster, but .132 fixes the camera issues and a couple of other things nicely which make up for it being a tad slower...

Aside from that enjoy your BB and have fun!!!
    04-29-09 12:16 PM
    Welcome + prepare to be addicted. Enjoy.
    04-29-09 01:43 PM
26 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD