Whenever my finger hovers over a vowel key too long, of course the alternate characters with accents (diacritical marks) shows up... and I'm wondering why this would happen by default in the U.S., since hardly ne1 ever needs to type a letter with an accent, such as � for example. If ur typing French, of course you'd need that feature. But U.S. English?

Is there a way to turn off this feature? I searched on here for this topic but doesn't seem to be one. I also searched my kb options and there doesn't seem to be a way to do it on my Storm

Sure hope there is... I hate it when I type one of those alternate characters by mistake. I always use landscape qwerty, BTW.
    03-13-09 04:47 PM
    Upon further searching it appears that it's a feature of the phone that can't be turned off.

Weird. Why would a U.S. English kb need it?
    03-13-09 05:02 PM
    Youre right, this really sucks.

Even in German we only need �, �, � and �. I dont need the rest of those special characters, they could easily hide them at the symbols page.
    03-13-09 05:07 PM
    I just cant imagine why someone at RIM, in their infinite wisdom decided, yes, let's give the US kb something utterly useless and frustratingly annoying like diacritical characters.

Yes it really sucks.
    03-13-09 08:18 PM
    There are accents for letters in the english language. Ever read a dictionary? Anyway, there's also other useful symbols like R and TM (Registered and Trade Mark) stuff. It's actually pretty useful.

Just don't linger on letters. One thing to remember is that if when you're typing, these characters are coming up too much, then that means that your keyboard settings for hover and such are incorrect for your typing style. You may need to change hover period and typing delay.
    03-13-09 08:45 PM
    Yes. Change your hover period. It will help a bit.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-13-09 09:06 PM
    I'm just saying that by DEFAULT the diacritical marks appear.
    That should be an option. Typing should be easier and not so challenging.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-13-09 11:59 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD