Hi guys,

I have an unlocked TELUS Storm playing GSM on a Philippines carrier called Smart. The data connection and call reception quality here has been nothing but horrible. Dropped calls/Calls failed, etc are pretty rampant around here (no matter what part of town you're in)

Anyway, I'd _like_ to think it may be something to do with the fact that the device is not Smart authorized/sold device. However, the backward nature of cellphone networks here could argue me down.

Long story short, now that you know my troubles.. when I'm on a full GPRS/EDGE connection, I pull up the browser. Once I start getting ready to type in a URL, the GPRS/EDGE goes to gprs/edge. It happens about 98% of the time.
    This same thing happens when I go to URL from an email/sms etc.

I can't seem to figure it out. I've been on .328, but upgrading to .419 as we speak. Thoughts would be nice.

Thanks!
    02-06-10 02:13 AM
    Upgraded to .419 and it is still the same.
    02-06-10 03:40 AM
    Someone can correct my if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure that the storm cannot run 3G on a GSM network. It doesn't have the radio for it. You can only use 2G/gprs.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-06-10 10:06 AM
    well..hootyhoo, he wasnt asking about 3g. varadigm it might be your OS. I remember storm users have the same issue theres a few post in the storm forum. I believe it has something to do with the radio.
    02-06-10 10:15 AM
    Well he is asking about 3G actually. 3G=GPRS. 2G=gprs.

02-06-10 10:47 AM
    well GPRS/EDGE also means being connected to BB data services. so it might not even be an 3G issue. I know some people who have had constant EDGE with the storm using T mobile.
    02-06-10 10:56 AM
    EDGE is 3G! edge is 2G! Notice the use of capitol letters. When the signal switches from upper case to lower case it means that the signal is switching from 3G to 2G! same thing with CDMA phones. 3G=GPRS/EDGE. 3G=1XEV. 2G=gprs/edge. 2G=1xev.

02-06-10 11:04 AM
    your right, I'm getting mixed up with the Edge compared to EDGE or edge. sorry about that.
    02-06-10 11:19 AM
    3g can be run on a gsm network if the service provider uses the 2100 frequency such as tmobile who uses the 1700,2100 frequency for 3g. Not sure about the Smart GSM service provider.
    02-06-10 11:21 AM
    just did research its actually 2/2.5G not 3G for EDGE on the storm.
    02-06-10 11:25 AM
    for gsm usage.
    02-06-10 11:34 AM
    Damn, that sucks. But then again, Smart has 2G data services. So going by that, it should mean that data should work even if it's on gprs/edge. It doesn't.
    02-06-10 10:43 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD