I ended up changing from the Storm to the Samsung Omnia yesterday. I had the Storm since Day 1. I used it almost continuously to poke & prod its depths!! I probably knew it better than any of my Treos from the past 5 years! Overall is is a great device. I can see if you are a current BB user, case closed.

For me as a Treo 700p survivor, it was great. The Storm was very good but did not support some needed software I use daily. On superficial review, the software vendors said they had BB versions. As we all soon learned (especially for a BB newbie), that does not translate to the Storm 4.7 OS compatible. It did however, do Rhapsody great. The VZW website for Omnia does not even mention Rhapsody. BUT IT DOES WORK!! (extra gravy for switch, I thought I would lose this)

You can transfer AVI or Divx video files at the usual 700MB -1.5GB sizes, They actually play BETTER than if you use converted MP4 size files. Also, because of the Omnia's screen shape, it plays with a larger viewing area than the Storm.

I really wanted the Storm to work for me, but it came down to incompatible software versions.
    12-08-08 09:33 PM
    So, how is the Omnia? Too bad it has WM.
    12-08-08 09:36 PM
    I came to the storm from the Centro and they are really different. I love my storm though and couldn't go back. The Omnia looks promising but windows mobile isn't really too mobile. I like the simplicity of the storm's interface. I would hate if I had to use a mouse on a touch screen. To each their own though I hope you're happy with the switch.
    12-08-08 09:38 PM
    Bye, and don't forget to change your profile "Device Model".
    12-08-08 09:38 PM
    ya know. i almost went back to windows mobile buit you know what kept me with the storm?

the click screen.

seriously, after being able to highlight something and THEN click it makes me hate other touchscreens. one of my users has a Samsung 0760 and i was getting annoyed that once i touched something on the screen, thats what was clicked.
    12-08-08 09:45 PM
    hahahaha!

funny you should mention software. my last WinMo froze every 10 minutes. i'd put money on it that you won't last a week with WinMo

you'll be back because:

once you go black, you never go back
    12-08-08 09:51 PM
    hahahaha!

funny you should mention software. my last WinMo froze every 10 minutes. i'd put money on it that you won't last a week with WinMo

you'll be back because:

once you go black, you never go back

true story
    12-08-08 09:55 PM
    Have fun with WM, I personally after 2 of them hate the damn OS. Theres certain software I wanted on it, but was not available. Goodbye.
    12-08-08 10:00 PM
    Bye!!!!!!!
    12-08-08 10:00 PM
    the IT department quit support winmo.. because it was more a headache..

I am not saying you won't like the phone but you will notice its flaws pretty quickly..

you may come back to BB some day. It might not be for a storm but I have a feeling you will change to something besides winmo after a while..

If you do end up liking it. Then thats good because its all about what you like when you purchase something and not what others say..
    12-08-08 10:05 PM
    Shame! Given a little more time RIM will have the storm rocking. No thanks to win mo.
    12-08-08 10:07 PM
    oh yeah change your profile

Device Model: P.O.S.

that means "piece of sh*t" in case you're as slow as WinMo's processors
    12-08-08 10:18 PM
    Sorry to hear u gave up on the storm, but if it doesn't run software u need, it makes sense. I came from a WM phone and I cannot be happier to be rid of WM. There are some things that WM does do well, but it's too laggy and the memory management is poor. I'll be sticking with BB for awhile. Hope u have good luck with the Omnia.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-08-08 10:18 PM
    of all phones you went with the omnia??? wow. that phone is garbage. as new as that phone is we get a lot of returns of those. We have been having none stop touch screen problems with the omnia. In my opinion Samsung needs to stick to none touchscreen phones. the glyde and the omnia both have horrible touch screens. Unfortunately you already used your one exchange that you get so i hope you like the phone.
    12-08-08 10:25 PM
    do people ever go to youtube and look at the unboxing and comparisons of certain phones before they buy them? i looked at the omnia unboxing and the guy had to press and touch on the screen almost 4 or 5 times to get an application to respond. i stopped watching right there.

im a mac guy and would only use a windows laptop for one thing and thats to tune my powercommander for my motorcycle and thats only cause the powercommander software isnt mac compatible. i think windows as an os is horrible and even worse when u shrink it to use on a phone. say what u want about blackberries but id rather use that anyday than to use a winmo phone ever ever again..

just my two cents

;0)
    12-08-08 10:43 PM
    I started out on a winmo phone. I will never go back. I hope you have a better experience than I did.
    12-08-08 10:44 PM
    Such harsh treatment! Cmon guys, were more professional then that.

12-08-08 10:47 PM
    I was in the Verizon store today because my flip phone is finally crapping out ( darn, I have to get a Storm now!) and while I was waiting I checked out the Omnia, HTC Touch Pro, and the Storm. I know people have complained about lag and other problems with the new OS on the Storms but WM 6.1 is dreadful on these devices.

The Omnia looked really cool, but the haptic feedback was weak and I couldn't for the life of me figure out the home screen. With the HTC Touch Pro I had to pound my finger into the screen for it to recognize anything, and still WM is a sloth. I wanted to give these devices a fair shot but there's no chance I'll be getting a WM device for my next phone.
    12-08-08 10:48 PM
    its not even the fact that its windows mobile that makes the omnia suck so bad. The touchscreen that samsung uses is absolutely horrible. Its not as bad as the glyde but thats not saying much. we get so many glydes and omnias back just because of there screens its nuts. In most cases by the time we get glydes back at the store there almost unusable
    12-08-08 10:56 PM
    It boils down to if you are true berry addict or not. I came from windows mobile devices and was against blackberries for the longest. I switched because of the realibility factor. No matter what phone someone has it will bot match the blackberries as far as how dependable they are. No we don't have fancy apps but we have the basics down for sure and in the end are way more productive. All these complaints regarding the storm are from newbies. I love my blackberry and while other phones maybe prettier, she's always got my back.

12-08-08 11:30 PM
    Good luck dude. I hope that you will still be happy with your choice in the long run
    12-08-08 11:34 PM
    Be sure to come back and give us a comparison of the two for those of us who are struggling with the same decision!!!

thanks!
    12-08-08 11:43 PM
    Funny thing is I loved my motorola Q. I have a foundness of Windows Mobile 5.0 SMARTPHONE edition. I dont know why, but i thought it was real easy to use. The professional edition is not as convienent for a phone i think.

WHat apps are your deal breakers?

I almost went back because i love TCPMP and even more, WIndows Live Search. But when i found out the storm will be getting windows live search soon, i was happy.

i also love opera mini and even though it currently sucks on the storm, as soon as they release an update to work with the click screen it will be great.

i played with the htc touch pro and omnia too. I wanted to love the htc touch pro cause i felt i needed a keyboard. EWWWW.. th keyboard is TERRIBLE. there is actually a page down key between the N and the M. CRAZY!

THe omnia i didnt like either, the touchscreen was garbage, reslution bad, and interface weird.

To be honest if i left the storm the only phone i think i would consider getting is the Motorola Q9c. I love my moto q.
    Or perhaps the saga.

I really like the shalf screen, half qwerty design like the Q.

actually i would also like to get the Bold, but i dont know when that comes to verizon. my ne2 was up for several months, i think it expires after 6 months over 2 years, so i would have lost it.
    12-08-08 11:53 PM
    It boils down to if you are true berry addict or not. I came from windows mobile devices and was against blackberries for the longest. I switched because of the realibility factor. No matter what phone someone has it will bot match the blackberries as far as how dependable they are. No we don't have fancy apps but we have the basics down for sure and in the end are way more productive. All these complaints regarding the storm are from newbies. I love my blackberry and while other phones maybe prettier, she's always got my back.

Ummmmmm are u kidding me there is nothing prettier than the Storm bro.
    The Omnia has some sweet features no doubt and like I posted in a previous
    thread the Storm screen has witdh; also the res. Hey nothing is prettier
    than the Storm..............
    Except Storm 2 with a 4" inch screen.
    12-09-08 12:05 AM
    The Omnia has this cool game where you try to get a ball through a maze and into the proper hole. I enjoyed the way the device responded when the ball would hit the walls-it vibrated-yeah, that's about it.
    (Smiling as she plays WordMole).

I think that once you get used to something it is hard to change. I've always used a Windows PC but I recently purchased an older Mac to see how I liked it and I was pleasantly surprised.

I hope you will enjoy your new phone.
    12-09-08 12:17 AM
45 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD