WTF?

Did I miss something?
    I was under the impression that BlackBerries in general were EMAIL "kings".
    Again, unless I missed something, they hardly manage email accounts, let alone being elite at it.

I have an email account that millions of people have. It is probably one of if not the most popular email account out there - GMAIL.

I downloaded the gmail app onto the Storm and it doesn't even display pictures. The emails also look funky and awkward. What gives?

I also have this same account configured via the built in Storm messaging system. I cannot believe how hard and difficult the Blackberry makes it to manage emails.

(1) When I read an email on the Storm, that email remains "unread" in my actual gmail inbox when I enter it through a browser. Why? I'm pretty sure that I set it to sync up, but it doesn't. Just to confirm, what steps did you guys follow?
    (2) Why on earth isn't there a separate box or folder for emails that were sent? Yes, I know I can hide them, but then I have to unhide them in order to see what I just sent. That is extremely annoying. I just cannot for the love of God understand why sent and received emails are all mixed with each other.
    (3) Why does even the simplest html email look funky and with weird text all over? 90% of my emails don't display correctly. In fact, they hardly display at all. Rows and columns are always screwed up.
    (4) How exactly do I turn off email notifications? My phone vibrates every time I receive an email. I'm pretty sure that I changed something that should have stopped this from happening, but it still happens. So, I just want to see how you guys made it go away, if at all. I only want it to ring or vibrate when I receive an SMS.
    (5) ...many, many, more annoying things that happen with the email that I simply don't remember now (lol). Frankly, I stopped checking the email on my phone for a while because of how frustrating it is

Don't get me wrong, I love my Storm. I sold my iPhone 3G to get the Storm and don't regret my decision one bit. However, I must admit that I am somewhat disappointed with the Storm's email management capabilities. The iPhone displayed the emails in a VERY crisp and user-friendly way. It synced EVERYTHING with my inbox with 100% accuracy each and every time. On the Storm, checking email is both confusing and a hassle. If email on the iPhone is a 9.5/10, then on the Storm it is 2/10.

BTW, I'm on the official 75.
    Last edited by s54; 12-05-08 at 03:38 PM.
    12-05-08 03:34 PM
    you have to learn how to use the phone properly to get e-mail dailed in. the easiest way is from your blackberry account online. i don't have the link with me on this computer, but someone will hopefully post it for you.

you can set all the settings there and add filters and such.
    12-05-08 03:37 PM
    Use your bis login and set the mail that way....use the phone the way it is intended and you will be happy
    12-05-08 03:39 PM
    I don't know why people would use the gmail app. Just set it up on your phone as a normal email account. No need to download another program.
    12-05-08 03:40 PM
    I don't know why people would use the gmail app. Just set it up on your phone as a normal email account. No need to download another program.
    I did set it up on my phone as a normal email account and that's what 95% of my post was about.
    I got rid of the gmail app a while ago bc it was crap. The "normal" built-in way to check email is not any better.
    12-05-08 03:44 PM
    Use your bis login and set the mail that way....use the phone the way it is intended and you will be happy
    can you elaborate more on this?
    12-05-08 03:45 PM
    WTF?

Did I miss something?
    I was under the impression that BlackBerries in general were EMAIL "kings".
    Again, unless I missed something, they hardly manage email accounts, let alone being elite at it.

I have an email account that millions of people have. It is probably one of if not the most popular email account out there - GMAIL.

I downloaded the gmail app onto the Storm and it doesn't even display pictures. The emails also look funky and awkward. What gives?

I also have this same account configured via the built in Storm messaging system. I cannot believe how hard and difficult the Blackberry makes it to manage emails.

(1) When I read an email on the Storm, that email remains "unread" in my actual gmail inbox when I enter it through a browser. Why? I'm pretty sure that I set it to sync up, but it doesn't. Just to confirm, what steps did you guys follow?
    (2) Why on earth isn't there a separate box or folder for emails that were sent? Yes, I know I can hide them, but then I have to unhide them in order to see what I just sent. That is extremely annoying. I just cannot for the love of God understand why sent and received emails are all mixed with each other.
    (3) Why does even the simplest html email look funky and with weird text all over? 90% of my emails don't display correctly. In fact, they hardly display at all. Rows and columns are always screwed up.
    (4) How exactly do I turn off email notifications? My phone vibrates every time I receive an email. I'm pretty sure that I changed something that should have stopped this from happening, but it still happens. So, I just want to see how you guys made it go away, if at all. I only want it to ring or vibrate when I receive an SMS.
    (5) ...many, many, more annoying things that happen with the email that I simply don't remember now (lol). Frankly, I stopped checking the email on my phone for a while because of how frustrating it is

Don't get me wrong, I love my Storm. I sold my iPhone 3G to get the Storm and don't regret my decision one bit. However, I must admit that I am somewhat disappointed with the Storm's email management capabilities. The iPhone displayed the emails in a VERY crisp and user-friendly way. It synced EVERYTHING with my inbox with 100% accuracy each and every time. On the Storm, checking email is both confusing and a hassle. If email on the iPhone is a 9.5/10, then on the Storm it is 2/10.

BTW, I'm on the official 75.
    1) Do a search for setting up GMAIL as IMAP instead of pop3. Then anything you read on the storm will be marked as read in gmail (unfortunately it doesn't work the other way around).

2) I've grown comfortable with the way it handles sent messages. I prefer to hide them as I want to only see my inbox 95% of the time. When I DO want to see the sent folder, it's a small thing to hit the BB button and click "Folders". The sent folder is there. It's only a couple steps away. Efficient for mobile use imo.

3) don't have an answer to that. I think there's some font issues floating around. I mostly have issues with gmail messages. Messages sent from other email clients (like outlook) come out fine.

4) Make a custom profile that does what you want it to do. Or if you prefer to leave your phone on "normal" then you can change it in there. If you use a pre-built profile, you can't change those options. When creating a custom profile, there will be notification options for EACH email account. You need to set them separately. If you want the notification off, simply set it that way.
    12-05-08 03:46 PM
    can you elaborate more on this?
    Register or Login here to activate your emails:

BlackBerry Internet Service
    12-05-08 03:47 PM
    Register or Login here to activate your emails:

BlackBerry Internet Service
    To head off your next question, you need to create the username on your blackberry. Goto Setup->Email Settings on the storm and hit the BB buton. There will be an option to "Create Username". Follow that to create a login for the BIS site.

It's also much easier to set up your gmail account as IMAP on the BIS website.
    12-05-08 03:49 PM
    1) Do a search for setting up GMAIL as IMAP instead of pop3. Then anything you read on the storm will be marked as read in gmail (unfortunately it doesn't work the other way around).
    My gmail account has always been set as IMAP and still the messages I read on my phone appear unread in the actual browser when I open gmail.
    12-05-08 03:53 PM
    i havent touched my email accounts since i set it up on my storm
    12-05-08 03:57 PM
    My gmail account has always been set as IMAP and still the messages I read on my phone appear unread in the actual browser when I open gmail.
    Don't know what to tell you then. I've deleted and readded my gmail account a few times and it always works that way. Might want to log into BIS and double check all the settings as well as deleting the account via BIS and readding it. If you set it up via the phone maybe you missed something. It's much easier to do via the site.
    12-05-08 03:59 PM
    something is messed up for you then.

I have 2 gmail accounts set up as IMAP and they work beautifully. when I delete on my Storm, they are gone from gmail.. same with read emails.

I have had ZERO issues with emails looking funky too.. I don't know what to tell you there.. perhaps delete them from your BIS account and recreate them as IMAP.

I'm more than happy with how gmail works on the phone!
    12-05-08 04:02 PM
    here is what I did for gmail after it was set as imap:

go into your e-mail account on the phone then do options -> Email reconciliation -> Wireless Reconcile and set to on. That works for me on Gmail. I also set my phone to win on conflicts that setting works for me.
    12-05-08 04:06 PM
    gs a couple things for you to try.

Call VZW and go to tech support and select BB then email set up. Ignore the message about calling from another phone. when you get a person tell them that you need to set up your BIS account. If you don't set it up when you get the phone then you get some automated stuff set up for you which means you can not register as a new account but if you try to request your info it will tell you that you have no user or pass set up.

So call VZW and get them to set up the account and they will text you with your log in info.

second in gmail make sure to enable imap and then go to help and do a search for catpcha unlock and submit a captcha unlock request for your account.

third log into BIS and add a new email account. Give it a user name but skip the password and then tell it you will supply the settings for your account.

username: full gmail address
    server: imap.gmail.com
    passwordassword
    email:full email

then hit next and let it set up the account.

once its set up hit edit and go into the account and make sure that use ssl is check and the port is... i believe 934

then wait. BIS will send the data to your phone and a new icon will show up and your set. it will work as imap and you will see things on your storm that you read as read or delete as delete.

if you get stuck go to google help and look up setting up imap then check for a BB they have a good walk through.

You can also set it up in outlook and download a app that detects your outlook accounts and settings and will apply them to BIS but that dosnt always work. So you can try to set it up there and use the app to detect and then set it up for you but don't count on it setting up everything.

From there you have to go in and set up any custom rules and filters on your on. Make sure you go into options on your BB and set delete to always delete on handset and inbox, set wireless reconcile to on and set on conflicts to mailbox wins.

after that its all preferences. I have all my mail hidden but incoming mail like the other poster and separated by stripes but thats a personal thing. Best of luck let us know if you have any issues.
    12-05-08 04:16 PM
    i feel that if bb e-mails were as organized as windows mobile devices it would be great. wm devices already have different folders for inbox, sent etc.
    12-05-08 04:25 PM
    s54, I'm with you. I thought the BB was going to be the 'KING' of email as well, but it's not IMO. Most of what you said in your post is correct. It seems to me that most of the BB users on this site seem to get very defensive when someone points out that the BB may not be that great of a device. Don't get me wrong, the Storm is a very nice device overall but there are a lot of flaws with it as well.

Separate folders for email (in, out, sent, deleted, etc.) should be automatic and just makes good sense to me. Also, I'm still trying to find out how to include a signature closing for all outgoing mail. Also, where's the get/retrieve mail button? I'm still on the fence about the Storm so far. I'm trying to give it a fair shot though because I do like it overall.
    12-05-08 04:26 PM
    I'm with you too. I tried the suggestion in an earlier post with my Gmail account so we'll see how it goes. I have another issue though.

I just switched to Desktop Redirector and deleted my mail account fro the BIS (because it wasn't deleting messages or marking messages read on my device when I deleted or read them on my computer). I'm hoping the Redirector will do this.

So the problem: Where the heck does my email from my desktop go when it gets to my Storm. There's no mailbox for it. I notice when I type a message it says I can send from "Desktop" but I don't see that mailbox anywhere.

I've searched and I'm sure the answer is right in front of me but I just don't know where my mail is.

Appreciate the help from you long time BB users.
    12-05-08 04:33 PM
    a54, you're exactly right, but it has nothing to do with the Storm... Blackberry in general is way overhyped on it's e-mail functionality.

I struggled with this when I switched to Blackberry from my Treo. I didn't even consider that e-mail might not be that functioknal with G-mail, because of Blackberry's reputation. Like you, I was sorely disappointed. The fact is, Gmail on my blackberry was a HUGE step back from my Treo, which (using Chattermail) was absolutely... 100%... flawless. Instant sync in both directions, instant push, easy navigation and integration... Just flawless. So good I hardly ever used my computer for e-mail - the Treo was easily more efficient and useful.

In comes the Blackberry (Curve 8330 on Verizon) and I was astonished at how poorly it did e-mail compared to Chatter on the Treo. No HTML (fixed now, I know). Push, sure, but poor rendering of e-mails, zero sync (aside from deletions pushed to the inbox - and even that seems sporadic).

In my opinion, I traded stellar e-mail functionality on my treo for improvements in virtually every aspect of the phone. With the Curve, I have a lighter, smaller form factor, crisper screen, MUCH more stable/reliable phone that's fast and easy to use, and has limitless functionality in other ways. I haven't looked back. E-mail on my phone just isn't as important as having a better phone in every other regard.

So again, it's not the storm... Blackberry still needs to work on E-mail for the individual user. It's really easy - it's called *IMAP IDLE Command*. That's how my Treo did it. I even picked up a book on Java to see if I could learn how to program a simple e-mail program for Blackberry that implements IMAP IDLE but I've lost interest and decided just to put up with the slow, gradual improvements we've seen lately.
    12-05-08 04:35 PM
    I'm still trying to find out how to include a signature closing for all outgoing mail.
    You can do that from the BIS site from your desktop.
    12-05-08 04:36 PM
    If you follow the directions on how to setup IMAP on your blackberry from Google (in the gmail help section)

YOUR EMAIL WILL WORK PERFECTLY

the only thing that isnt 100% is that deleted items from the pc will take a few hours to delete on your handheld, this is the same with all accounts though, Gmail or not, bb or not.
    12-05-08 04:42 PM
    WHat a tool......jusT SEARCH AND READ!
    12-05-08 04:43 PM
    s54, I'm with you. I thought the BB was going to be the 'KING' of email as well, but it's not IMO. Most of what you said in your post is correct. It seems to me that most of the BB users on this site seem to get very defensive when someone points out that the BB may not be that great of a device. Don't get me wrong, the Storm is a very nice device overall but there are a lot of flaws with it as well.

Separate folders for email (in, out, sent, deleted, etc.) should be automatic and just makes good sense to me. Also, I'm still trying to find out how to include a signature closing for all outgoing mail. Also, where's the get/retrieve mail button? I'm still on the fence about the Storm so far. I'm trying to give it a fair shot though because I do like it overall.
    For the signature you must log into BIS. There is no need for a get/receive button when you have PUSH e-mail. The e-mail is instant, there is no need to "get/receive" it's all live -- that's the main reason people praise BB's for e-mail/messaging.
    12-05-08 04:45 PM
    If you follow the directions on how to setup IMAP on your blackberry from Google (in the gmail help section)

YOUR EMAIL WILL WORK PERFECTLY

the only thing that isnt 100% is that deleted items from the pc will take a few hours to delete on your handheld, this is the same with all accounts though, Gmail or not, bb or not.
    ??? No it won't! I've done this several times. For a while, I had both the POP and IMAP versions of Gmail set up on my phone. Between BOTH accounts, you get a decent setup. POP gives instant push, and allows deletions phone to gmail, but not the other way. IMAP has a 10-15 minute delay, allows read status to sync and deletions from handheld to gmail, but deletions from gmail to handheld *never* worked for me (and neither did read status).

For a while there, IMAP on gmail went to push, so at least that was better, but alas, it went back to polling ever 10-15 minutes. I want instant Push!
    12-05-08 04:45 PM
    The title of this thread was the most stupid thing I have ever read in my ENTIRE life.
    12-05-08 04:48 PM
64 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD