Hey everyone!
    Thanks for replying so fast.
    I have not been "naughty" with the internet...
    My parents just dont want any temptations...
    Is there any sort of "parental controls"?
    well...
    it would be for my 16th b-day. I wanted an iphone (Im probably not supposed to say that on this site) but they dont have them for verizon. I get about $3000 worth of stuff and a cellphone for my b-day, so I could probably just include it with my present.
    So, its +/- $50 a month for the cell phone plan, plus $30 dollars a month for the BB plan? We would get a company discount (how ever much that would be?).

wait a second...your parents arent okay-ing a $30 data plan on a blackberry because of possible "temptation", yet theyre dishin out $3000 for your birthday?

umm....what?
    11-11-08 02:26 PM
    wait a second...your parents arent okay-ing a $30 data plan on a blackberry because of possible "temptation", yet theyre dishin out $3000 for your birthday?

umm....what?

Yea that was what I was thinkin too. I grew up in a pretty rich community and all throughout high school the kids who did the hardest drugs and partied the hardest were the kids who also happened to have the most expensive cars, nicest gadgets, got money for no reason...I could go on.
    11-11-08 02:51 PM
    Yea that was what I was thinkin too. I grew up in a pretty rich community and all throughout high school the kids who did the hardest drugs and partied the hardest were the kids who also happened to have the most expensive cars, nicest gadgets, got money for no reason...I could go on.
    I had a similar experience. I don't think its a coincidence.

The more easily things come often (not always) the less you appreciate it. Maybe that means we'll all appreciate the **** out of the Storm.
    11-11-08 04:21 PM
    I had a similar experience. I don't think its a coincidence.

The more easily things come often (not always) the less you appreciate it. Maybe that means we'll all appreciate the **** out of the Storm.
    Yeah right. You guys would be drooling over the next iteration if it released 6 months later. Don't lie
    11-11-08 04:29 PM
    Yeah right. You guys would be drooling over the next iteration if it released 6 months later. Don't lie
    Provided RIM/VZW were vague with details, evasive on specifics, and it involved a snappy pun-inducing name, you're absolutely right.
    11-11-08 05:09 PM
    I still didnt get a straight answer...
    Should I get one if I dont get the data plan (money doesnt matter)?
    11-12-08 11:02 PM
    Hey everyone!
    Parental Controls??? what? are you 12?
    11-12-08 11:16 PM
    As some posters on the first page of responses mentioned, Verizon won't let you activate without a plan that includes data.

As for all those people who are shocked the parents will dish out $3000 for a birthday but not $30/mo. for a data plan... that's an extra $60 a year for the data plan compared to the $3000 birthday gift
    11-12-08 11:25 PM
    well...
    it would be for my 16th b-day. I wanted an iphone (Im probably not supposed to say that on this site) but they dont have them for verizon. I get about $3000 worth of stuff and a cellphone for my b-day, so I could probably just include it with my present.
    So, its +/- $50 a month for the cell phone plan, plus $30 dollars a month for the BB plan? We would get a company discount (how ever much that would be?).
    Well thnx, cheesy. I never really felt old but now I will after I say this.... Wow kids these days.

Honestly, you will be missing out on all the fun stuff and apps if you don't have the data plan. Personally, I dont think its worth dishing out money for a storm and not get the data plan.
    Last edited by skyys; 11-12-08 at 11:56 PM.
    11-12-08 11:53 PM
    Well thnx, cheesy. I never really felt old but now I will after I say this.... Wow kids these days.

Honestly, you will be missing out on all the fun stuff and apps if you don't have the data plan. Personally, I dont think its worth dishing out money for a storm and not get the data plan.
    After hearing everyones thoughts, I think I will try to convince my parents to get me one with a data plan, and If I cant get one, maybe Ill get the pearl, or pearl flip, or something thats not as expensive, but still a BB.
    11-13-08 02:03 PM
    I would be willing to bet, based on what's been said by the OP so far, that it's not so much the money that his parents are concerned about as it is letting a 16 year old have unlimited, un-monitorable access to the internet...and all of it's pron.

There have been several conversations here about the "usefulness" of this device for such purposes (gives a whole new meaning the the term "Sticky Thread", doesn't it?).

Most of are over 18...but some of us are not (for the record, I'm 37...and a BIG fan of pron!)
    11-13-08 02:10 PM
    After hearing everyones thoughts, I think I will try to convince my parents to get me one with a data plan, and If I cant get one, maybe Ill get the pearl, or pearl flip, or something thats not as expensive, but still a BB.
    Even if you "only get a pearl" you will still have to have a data plan so if you are going to get one you might as well go with the storm.
    11-13-08 02:15 PM
    You cant get a blackberry without data. End of story.

Ask your parents for the SCH-U340. That will be perfect for you. No data needed, and it is perfect for calling all your homies. And when you turn 18 and you parents get you that BMW M6 you've always wanted, you can use your NE2 discount to upgrade to a phone with bluetooth so you can drive hands free!
    11-13-08 02:29 PM
    This post makes me laugh. A BlackBerry without a data plan!? 1) Not gonna happen with any carrier and 2) a waste of a BB, period. Especially one that's supposed to be more geared toward the everyday consumer.

The data speed is one of the selling points of the phone...

Why is this even a thread??
    11-13-08 02:37 PM
    Well money isn't always the answer and money isn't everything. I mean take you for example your PARENTS have money (so you say) and they still aren't willing to buy you one. And what company does your dad have? I watched the video it was a fire, is he a fireman? or does he own the business that burned to the ground? You have to get a data plan in order to have a BB if you buy it NO contract price for 5-600 then there you go that's just a portion of your b-day stripper money. lol!! but seriously buy the phone out right no contract price and don't add data to your plan just voice! good luck have a great birthday!!

11-13-08 02:42 PM
    My dads company is the one that burnt to the ground. Its an importing company...

And thanks for all the help everyone!
    11-13-08 02:50 PM
    Hey everyone!
    Well, obviously either you are allowed some access to the internet (or we wouldn't be having this conversation), or you are very sneaky.

This is too much phone for you. Yes, its cool. But you won't be able to take advantage of 90% of what it does.

Get a Dare and have your 'rents put the data block on it.
    11-13-08 03:05 PM
    Well, obviously either you are allowed some access to the internet (or we wouldn't be having this conversation), or you are very sneaky.

This is too much phone for you. Yes, its cool. But you won't be able to take advantage of 90% of what it does.

Get a Dare and have your 'rents put the data block on it.
    I was thinking about that (getting the dare)...
    But black berrys sound so nice

Im starting to convince them to get me it with the data plan, I hope it works.
    11-13-08 03:55 PM
    Well, like I said you can purchase a phone with a higher price 550 i think which is the no contract price then you dont have to have the data plan. you can use the internet BUT then your parents will get a bill of high charges lol!! I say talk them into a BB, you're 16 in two years you can add internet and still be the cool rich kid lol!
    11-13-08 03:59 PM
    Well, like I said you can purchase a phone with a higher price 550 i think which is the no contract price then you dont have to have the data plan. you can use the internet BUT then your parents will get a bill of high charges lol!! I say talk them into a BB, you're 16 in two years you can add internet and still be the cool rich kid lol!
    even without contract you still need to have a data plan...
    11-13-08 04:02 PM
    Im actually 16 on the 25th. but Ill be 18 in two years!

Here are the BB data plans (on the right)
    Last edited by cheesy142; 11-13-08 at 04:07 PM.
    11-13-08 04:02 PM
46 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD