I have been a huge defender of the storm and have even went as far as to say I love the storm but that is on the weekend and days off. I blew through 3 charges today, constantly muted while talking on my conf calls, missed calls because I can't get the dang phone to answer and about threw it against the wall when my dialing pad kept locking when placing calls. My browser barley works (not a huge deal) and my ring tones constantly cut out

For casual, low usage, I love the storm but once I switch over to full on business mode it is just not stacking up. I cycle around 80 emails a day and actually have to reply to 1/3 of them from my device. I am on calls about 5 - 6 hours a day and I use the calender and address book constantly.

The storm just can not keep up with this pace. I am really thinking about jumping ship and going back to the curve. I would love the Bold but since there is not a GSM carrier in my area I am stuck with altell or VZW. With the merger happening it is really VZW or VZW.

Will the storm ever be a business/enterprise class device? I am not asking this to bash the device. I would really like to know. If there is an insider that has seen a version of the OS that makes the storm behave like we all thought it would; I really want to know.
    Last edited by Primate; 12-01-08 at 09:39 PM.
    12-01-08 09:36 PM
    I can't say much I am a very inexperienced user.

This is a phone similar to the iPhone that is supposed to be "revolutionary" -- take it for what you will.

Just as the iPhone had issues, this one is as well. I agree that this phone is pushed towards more consumers than business users, but I remain steadfast behind RIM and what I have heard/read/learned about the company in making sure this phone is practical for users like yourself.

I am sorry to hear you are having issues and I wish you luck.

P.S. I just switched to VZN from Alltel -- I love it. I don't know about your experience with Alltel, but their service wasn't good in my area (Peninsula area of Va)
    12-01-08 09:43 PM
    I feel your pain, I have more or less been having the same ordeal as you.
    Seems like whenever you really NEED to answer the phone the storm fails miserably.
    12-01-08 09:47 PM
    Dude... you have to stop buying phones from Best Buy

<OMG please don't hate me, I couldn't resist that one!!>

But seriously...

I assume you've upgraded to .75? I was having good luck with moderate use with .65 but after the upgrade I'm getting sick battery usage. While my usage was not as heavy as yours, today I would say with moderate usage by this evening I had 65% battery left.

How was your battery life with your other copy? (I seem to recall you said you returned your first unit.) Is it possible you just got one with a bad battery?

Today I did have my first run in with the issue of receiving a call when the phone is going between portrait and landscape. I quickly remembered the thread here and hit the physical green button and everything was ok. CX if you're listening: PLEASE have RIM disable landscape in phone mode.

I know you and I have not seen eye to eye but you have been a champion for the Storm, a help to others on this forum and I'd hate to see you have to jump ship.
    12-01-08 09:49 PM
    Yea I did the .75 update and for me it did more harm than good. I went back to .65 but did not seem to do much better so I went back to .75. If there was a tweak to try I did it.

The issue I think is the phone usage. As a toy and something for average day to day usage I still love the phone but, for fast paced action I am really getting frustrated. Today was the first "Real" day back to work since I got the storm so it was the first true test of the device for me.
    Last edited by Primate; 12-01-08 at 09:56 PM.
    12-01-08 09:54 PM
    I'm assuming the Storm is your primary business device and you don't have a backup at present. It doesn't do you any good to say "Better things are coming."

What sort of issues did you have after the .75 update? When I did it on mine it sort of shored everything up... but again... my use isn't as heavy duty as yours.
    12-01-08 09:57 PM
    I felt and complained about business usage since day one. However, after the update to .75 I have noticed a great deal of improvement. Many aspects of the phone's OS still need improvement, but the thing now is easier to live with. Do you have the latest firmware.

Edit: Sorry... seems like you tried .75. That's too bad your unit is not seeing improvement. Perhaps try a different one? That is if you can get it in time before you put this one through the wall.
    Last edited by DirtyVegas; 12-01-08 at 10:01 PM. Reason: Correction.
    12-01-08 09:58 PM
    Sorry... seems like you tried .75. That's too bad your unit is not seeing improvement. Perhaps try a different one?
    That's what I'm thinking. It might be possible that you just wound up with a bad copy.
    12-01-08 10:03 PM
    yeah... given what you are describing I would be looking longingly at the Curve too. Seidio can't produce that extended battery soon enough.

I have seen your posts and find it sad that someone who really does love the phone is having such a problem getting the phone to fit his needs.
    12-01-08 10:03 PM
    Pretty much everything that people were complaining about before .75 I have after .75. .65 was near perfect for me but like I said I was not using it as a true business device until today.

It is indeed my primary business device. Blackberry has never failed me before so I have never had a need for a secondary device.

I am going to tinker with it tonight and maybe try to wipe one more time. Perhaps I did something wrong the three other times I tried it I believe strongly that 80% of device errors are 90% user error 100% of the time
    Last edited by Primate; 12-01-08 at 10:08 PM.
    12-01-08 10:06 PM
    I had the same thing happen to me.. I have been off for about a week due to the thanksgiving thing and today was the first day back to full work mode. By about 5 hours into my 10 hour shift I was down to 30 percent. have learned to trust the keyboard and I am almost as fast as on my curve but the extended battery is def a needed thing...

I think the next OS update will be fairly intense in bug fixes and speed improvements but I hope that it will work on power management. What point is this screen if you have turn it down to 20 percent brightness.
    12-01-08 10:11 PM
    Pretty much everything that people were complaining about before .75 I have after .75. .65 was near perfect for me...
    That's exactly what's making me think you might have a bad copy. I've had nothing but positives from the .75 update. I wish someone with more knowledge than me was posting in this thread... (hello CX??? )

Well I wish you luck. Perhaps reinstalling .75 might do the trick.
    12-01-08 10:12 PM
    I had the same thing happen to me..
    Hey dude... you probably didn't catch my post in the sticky about the .75 upgrade... I was one of the doubters when you posted a few days ago about you updating. I just wanted to apologize. I was DEFINITELY in the wrong and am eating my humble pie.

Goes good with turkey

Edit: Sorry Primate... didn't mean to hijack your thread.
    12-01-08 10:15 PM
    If you read Boy Genius's post on the .76 update he mentions that the battery life was improved.
    12-01-08 10:17 PM
    Thanks all for the understand... I will report back what my results were after a night in my mad BB lab .. meeeeww ah ah
    12-01-08 10:17 PM
    Thanks all for the understand... I will report back what my results were after a night in my mad BB lab .. meeeeww ah ah
    Sweet. Keep us in the loop!

BB lab. LOL!

I'm off to bed...
    12-01-08 10:19 PM
    That's exactly what's making me think you might have a bad copy. I've had nothing but positives from the .75 update. I wish someone with more knowledge than me was posting in this thread... (hello CX??? )

Well I wish you luck. Perhaps reinstalling .75 might do the trick.
    A bad copy of what? There aren't individual "copies" of OS's floating around out there for every individual user. An update is an update is an update.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-01-08 10:20 PM
    Primate, I feel your pain as well. Sure wish I had left .65 in place. Initially the phone seemed great but after a moderate workout at the office today it was nothing short of disappointing. Lock-up after lock-up. Then when the battery went below 40% the phone went absolutely stupid.

I too love the blackberry product(s) and I am sure they will get this sorted out...but can we live through it?

cheers and hang in there!
    Last edited by guodami; 12-01-08 at 10:31 PM.
    12-01-08 10:21 PM
    A bad copy of what? There aren't individual "copies" of OS's floating around out there for every individual user. An update is an update is an update.
    No, I meant copy of hardware, not software. He might have gotten a copy of the Storm with a bad battery? A small short in a circuit board?
    12-01-08 10:22 PM
    No, I meant copy of hardware, not software. He might have gotten a copy of the Storm with a bad battery? A small short in a circuit board?
    Ok - you mean a defective device. That makes more sense.

12-01-08 10:23 PM
    Today was my first real day at work with the Storm, and I am impressed with how well it did. I am in outside sales, and I'm a power user if there ever was one. I had a meeting this morning and let the update run during that, and after my meeting I started the wireless activation to the BES.

That is where the one and only glitch showed up. My device is working and wirelesdly syncing 100%, except it still says it is trying to � Initialize Desktop Activation" when I check the status.

Is that something I should worry about?

I LOVE this phone.

As far as the battery goes I can't comment much yet because my phone was hooked to the computer charging from 9:30 - 10:30. We'll see what happens tomorrow.

I'm typing on the storm now!

12-01-08 10:46 PM
    Ok I have it working a bit better. I won't know for sure until tomorrow if it is running as well as it seems.

All I did was do a wipe device. The only settings I changed after this completed was set my sensitivity back to 6 but I left the rest at defaults for the screen. Also, I set my home screen to 1 row vs the default 2 rows.

I still can not load the forums page from crackberry but the main page loaded without issue. I am also able to dial without the lag. The keypads are also working much better. I am not seeing a lag like before when creating an email. Finally my memory is holding at 48 vs the 40 - 39 from before I did the wipe.

Also I did not reload all my backup info. I only loaded the address book then synced it with my outlook calender vs restoring the one from my backup.
    12-02-08 01:08 AM
    oh wow! sorry to hear that! hope they will give you a NEW one or maybe you will be happy with something else! good luck
    12-02-08 01:10 AM
    I feel the pain. I've had it since launch day and am nearing the end. No, I have not updated to the beta .75 or .76. In addition to every other problem ppl have (lag, batt issues, lockups, camera turning on all the time, keyboard poofing, etc), now I can't get the device to sync using DM. It crashes the DM every time it gets to a conflict with a calendar item. Fun phone, but more headaches than usability and I'm getting sick of all of the problems. Heck, I'm afraid to plug it into my computer now because it turns the phone into a white screen for 10 min every other time it plugs into DM. AHHHHHHHH!

Oh, and the fact that it takes 6 hours to charge from dead to full... uhh, seriously?!

<edit> actually, it just seems to crash while updating the calendar. Have reinstalled DM and have now deleted half the items on the device calendar to see if it can't handle beaming more than 5 appointments in one sync (I wouldn't put it past it). Still crashing the DM and not updating. Nice.
    Last edited by abbot; 12-02-08 at 03:37 AM.
    12-02-08 03:28 AM
    I share your pain. I was also a faithful Storm supporter and I was a constant pain in the *ss to all my Iphone friends. I would constantly pick fights to justify the storm and crackberry superiority.

However, switching from my 8830 to the Storm became the biggest pain. I don't think it will ever be possible to replace a real keyboard with a touch screen, regardless of the technology (i know im being pessimistic).

I still refuse to give up my Storm because of all the cool features and I have resorted to keeping my 8830 active as well for my business/work use and my Storm for recreational purposes.

I agree with everyone else in saying that you just need to mess around with the device until it somewhat meets your standards. I just hope you dont need another device because of stock shortage right now.

Good luck!
    12-02-08 03:55 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD