Updated to 148, then did "Register Now" under Host Routing Table, I now have 2 browser icons and can't get rid of one. Any ideas on how this happened and how to get rid of one

Attachment 26570
    06-03-09 12:25 PM
    (1) wipe your Storm
    (2) reinstall the latest OS, .148
    (3) discover that you have NO browser icon
    (4) start a thread, "Help! OMG! I lost my browser."
    (5) your friends at CB will walk you through the steps to get it back.

Seriously, I had this once before. I changed to another theme, pulled battery, returned to my desired theme. Second icon was gone. Disappearing 2nd icon could have been a coincidence...but those steps did resolve the issue.

A thread from 2008 suggests that you check to see if there are two BB Internet Browsing security books. If so, delete one of them, then send the Service Books to see if it returns.

Last edited by crackberryfan; 06-03-09 at 12:33 PM.
    06-03-09 12:29 PM
    I didn't lose my browser, I have TWO of them and need to get rid of one. Did a search and could find anything.
    06-03-09 12:32 PM
    That's hilarious! Most people lose their browser.....you end up with 2 of them.
    Priceless! Lol!

Seriously. I would do a wipe and reinstall. Or delete and reinstall the theme.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-03-09 12:33 PM
    it mite be the theme?

the maker probably put TWO browser icons, just in case if the user loses their browser icon and they go "OMG I LOST MY BROWSER I GOTTA POST IT IN CB!", since they have TWO icons, if they lose one, they will have another
    06-03-09 12:35 PM
    I didn't lose my browser, I have TWO of them and need to get rid of one. Did a search and could find anything.
    My wipe...reload...post new thread advice was a joke, hence the
    Yeah, that's what I was thinking. I guess 2 is better than none! I just hide the extra one, but would really just like to get rid of it.
    Try the proverbial battery pull
    06-03-09 12:37 PM
    My wipe...reload...post new thread advice was a joke, hence the
    Sorry guess the i didn't catch the sarcasm.

I had the theme before I updated and all was well.
    06-03-09 12:38 PM
    T-mobile has 2 browser icons too. I have 2 on my 8900. I just hide the t-mobile labeled one.
    06-03-09 12:38 PM
    Sorry guess the i didn't catch the sarcasm.

I had the theme before I updated and all was well.
    Try my two suggestions above and let us know if either works.
    06-03-09 12:40 PM
    Try the proverbial battery pull
    Did the battery pull (multiple times), nothing
    06-03-09 12:41 PM
    Try my two suggestions above and let us know if either works.
    Tried both suggestions...no luck. Although when I switched back to the default theme there was only one browser, so I am going to try deleting and reinstalling the theme.
    06-03-09 12:53 PM
    1. Switched to default theme
    2. Deleted current theme
    3. Battery pull
    4. Redownloaded theme and switched to it
    5. Battery pull

Still have 2 browsers
    06-03-09 01:13 PM
    it mite be the theme?

the maker probably put TWO browser icons, just in case if the user loses their browser icon and they go "OMG I LOST MY BROWSER I GOTTA POST IT IN CB!", since they have TWO icons, if they lose one, they will have another
    1. Switched to default theme
    2. Deleted current theme
    3. Battery pull
    4. Redownloaded theme and switched to it
    5. Battery pull

Still have 2 browsers
    like i said above
    06-03-09 01:16 PM
    Back to what someone else said....hide second icon. Just curious...if you open the browser, then click the second browser icon, does it open a new browser window or just recall the already open browser.
    06-03-09 01:17 PM
    If it's the theme it must be a compatibility issue with 148, because the second icon was never there on the previous OS I was running (113). I'm using the Blackberry Pro V3 Theme by Natemz (http://forums.crackberry.com/f131/al...natemz-228343/)

Back to what someone else said....hide second icon. Just curious...if you open the browser, then click the second browser icon, does it open a new browser window or just recall the already open browser.
    Good question. Just tried it, and looks like both icons open the same browser.
    06-03-09 01:24 PM
    now we know where other people's browser went ... HE HAS IT!!! GET 'IM!!!!

( I can't believe that nobody else posted this comment... )
    06-03-09 02:29 PM
    now we know where other people's browser went ... HE HAS IT!!! GET 'IM!!!!

( I can't believe that nobody else posted this comment... )
    Well if you're missing a browser, don't bother searching the forums on how to get it back, just email me and I'll gladly give you my extra one. I still have no idea how to get rid of this damn thing.
    06-03-09 02:45 PM
    It might be the WAP browser from your service provider. As mentioned by DriftDevil, certain themes might use the same browser icon for both. So, it may look like you have two browser icons, but one is actually your wap browser.

I'm not certain of this...but its a possiblity.
    06-03-09 02:52 PM
    It might be the WAP browser from your service provider. As mentioned by DriftDevil, certain themes might use the same browser icon for both. So, it may look like you have two browser icons, but one is actually your wap browser.

I'm not certain of this...but its a possiblity.
    well, based on crackberryfan's test with the 2 browsers, they both are opening the same browser window. ie if i click on one icon and browse to a website, click end, then click on the other browser icon, i opens the same browser session. I would assume if it's the WAP browser then i would get a new browsing session. I'm guessing it's a theme compatibility issue with 148 but haven't confirmed it with anyone else who is using the Blackbery Pro V3 theme and running 148, so still not sure.

Is there anyone out there who has upgraded to 148 and is using this theme http://forums.crackberry.com/f131/al...natemz-228343/ that can confirm this?
    06-04-09 09:34 AM
    Sorry, don't know what you mean by "end." Open browser1 and navigate to a site (besides the home page). Press and hold the BB botton for a list of open apps and return to the Home screen. Open browser2. Does this open to the site you loaded in browser1? After you open browser1 and 2, and press/hold the BB button, are two browser icons listed or just one?
    06-04-09 10:13 AM
    Sorry, by "end" i just meant hitting the end key to go back to the homescreen without closing the open browser, so i could click on browser 2. After opening browser 1 and 2 there is still just one browser listed in the running applications list.
    06-04-09 11:04 AM
    Do a battery pull...it worked for me!
    08-10-09 11:30 AM
    have u found a solution to your problem ?
    Yesterday I was in the same boat with you, and the culprit was because I did not fresh re-install the OS upgrade. Repairing it is achieved by using JL_cmdr to "reset to factory settings", and then "Wipe device" to completely erase my bb. After that, using DM I installed the new OS fresh from scratch.

Upon restoring your backup data, make sure not to include 'theme settings' if you were upgrading from 4.6.x to 5.x and you are good to go.
    08-13-09 11:13 PM
29 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD