I've used one since Feb and at leat twice a week it looses the system or gps signal. I call Verizon and they are clueless. I've tried every suggestion I can think of. Most times it seems to come back on by itself. Without it, I'm lucky to get a signal inside my house. I'm just so pissed off that technolgy has to be this way. Plug it in and it works, that's the way it should be...

Anyone know of a forum specific to the network extender? I can't find one. Just a few threads on here.

OK, I'm thru ranting.
    05-21-09 11:38 AM
    Verizon Hub, Network Extender & Router
    And I thought it was just mine. Aren't you happy you are getting all the technology you are paying for?
    05-21-09 11:47 AM
    Having same problem? Well I guess I feel alot better knowing it's not just mine.
    05-21-09 11:50 AM
    Keep in mind that the Extender is a dual purpose device. Not only is it connecting to your wireless device AND GPS for e911, but it is also connecting thru TCP/IP. Most often, from what I have seen, is that the GPS temporarily loses it's positioning, and can't properly notify e911 of it's positioning. Simply unplugging it and resetting it usually fixes this. Not so much different than the storm and it's batt pull needs really. Recently there was an outage for the gps portion, but to my knowledge that has been corrected. If you haven't power cycled your extender in the last week or so, I would recommend doing it.
    05-21-09 02:40 PM
    This issue Im having with mine is the Delay.. Delay by means of I say hello and it takes someone a few seconds for them to reply.. Than a few seconds for me, a few seconds for them, etc.. That really bugs me..
    05-21-09 03:24 PM
    OK... excuse my ignorance, but why does a network extender need ethernet or GPS?

From what little I've seen about them, it's a repeater that you can configure to limit who can use it.

VZW -> Repeater -> Phone -> Repeater -> VZW

Right?
    05-21-09 04:20 PM
    OK... excuse my ignorance, but why does a network extender need ethernet or GPS?

From what little I've seen about them, it's a repeater that you can configure to limit who can use it.

Right?
    No .. It uses GPS for e911 and also to determine if the box is hooked up in Verzion service area where they hold licenses for the microwave spectrum they use. Then it uses ethernet (your internet connection) to establish a VPN between the extender and VZW servers, and the voice call goes over your internet connection.. basically like VOIP.

the box is basically just a mini cell site
    05-21-09 04:27 PM

Right?
    Here is how it is designed to work
    VZW Phone> Network Extender (a small foot print cell repeater) > VOIP (My internet connection> VZW servers and cell network. Hence the need for ethernet. The GPS is needed for two items 1)CDMA needs a GPS time stamp for network syncing. 2) GPS determines local e911.
    05-21-09 04:30 PM
    Simply unplugging it and resetting it usually fixes this. Not so much different than the storm and it's batt pull needs really. Recently there was an outage for the gps portion, but to my knowledge that has been corrected. If you haven't power cycled your extender in the last week or so, I would recommend doing it.
    Thank-you VerizonTechie for the insight. I do two of three re-boots per week just to keep the NE running. I guess my question is why do the engineers and phone reps think this is acceptable?

Yes it gets the unit running again but it does not address the root problem with the unit.

Why would any company (I am a stock holder) have a business plan based on getting your customers to fork out hard earned discretionary dollars and not getting full value for that dollar. (End of rant)
    05-21-09 04:39 PM
    Maybe your Network Extender hates you.

Personally, I wont feel safe until the machines have complete control.
    05-21-09 04:46 PM

Now this is the best post of the day
    05-21-09 04:52 PM

that's not going to happen. my real name is neo.
    05-21-09 04:53 PM
    that's not going to happen. my real name is neo.
    Bring it Mr. Anderson
    05-21-09 05:00 PM
    I've used one since Feb and at leat twice a week it looses the system or gps signal. I call Verizon and they are clueless. I've tried every suggestion I can think of. Most times it seems to come back on by itself. Without it, I'm lucky to get a signal inside my house. I'm just so pissed off that technolgy has to be this way. Plug it in and it works, that's the way it should be...

Anyone know of a forum specific to the network extender? I can't find one. Just a few threads on here.

OK, I'm thru ranting.
    Just a suggestion, has your internet had any issues? Also how much traffic is going over your internet.
    05-21-09 06:40 PM
    My internet is fine. No traffic except email and occassional browser. Mine is still down, with the SYS and GPS lights solid red. Rebooted many times and have even moved the antenna. Used a hand-held GPS unit and can get signals everywhere I have put the NE GPS antenna Funny how it works for a week or two, then for no reason stops like this till it decides to work again.
    05-22-09 05:15 PM
    Boy, I'm glad I live in an area with good reception. It would really drive me nuts if I had to buy something to bring signal into my house. Then it would really **** me off if I bought something to bring signal into my house and it doesn't work as described or isn't stable...
    05-22-09 08:40 PM
    If your lights are solid red, you have a defective unit. (it does happen... sux I know) Are all 4 lights red or just those two... and when you power cycle it, do they flash blue/red/blue/red, or light solid red and stay that way?
    05-23-09 01:32 AM
    I had the unit replaced today. Hooked it up and made sure activated. This is doing the same thing. PWR=blue Sys=solid red GPS=solid red WAN=blue

I have the external antenna on my roof. My hand held gps (sitting beside the antenna) is tracking 7 satellites. It's been 3 hours. No reason I can find for it not to work.
    05-23-09 06:05 PM
    Well it just started working at about 8:30pm...I don't know why, it just did.
    05-23-09 07:41 PM
    To clarify this is for the VZW MiFi product offering right? because there are devices available
    Newegg.com - Wireless Extenders,Cell Phone Accessories,
    that will re-broadcast signal from a better coverage area (say if you get decent reception outside, but not inside a building, using these devices will help).

I have installed several of these in office buildings with great success. No signal before installation, 3-5 bars after installation.

Edit: These wont do anything for GPS (that I know of)
    05-23-09 07:54 PM
    jeez folks I just don't know what to say. I have had mine 5 months , not once has it ever lost signal or gps. I have recommended to 4 friends. I set theirs up (just following the directions { have you tried dismounting the gps and putting it in a window?}) and none of them have had any problems at all either. All are on comcast cable, and none of us has any voice delay . sorry for your troubles, we all just must be lucky.
    05-23-09 07:56 PM
    This issue Im having with mine is the Delay.. Delay by means of I say hello and it takes someone a few seconds for them to reply.. Than a few seconds for me, a few seconds for them, etc.. That really bugs me..

this could be do to having a subpar internet connection. I am not saying you do but that may cause this as the communication is going through the internet.
    05-23-09 10:18 PM
    jeez folks I just don't know what to say. I have had mine 5 months , not once has it ever lost signal or gps. I have recommended to 4 friends. I set theirs up (just following the directions { have you tried dismounting the gps and putting it in a window?}) and none of them have had any problems at all either. All are on comcast cable, and none of us has any voice delay . sorry for your troubles, we all just must be lucky.

I am happy to hear that you have one and have seen many working as I am interested in purchasing one myself thanks@!
    05-23-09 10:19 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD