it was an inbound message from VZW advertising vcast rhapsody (which i don't use). it was giving me instructions as if i was on a vcast phone though. (VZW marketing fail!)

i tried to forward to my friend who works at VZW, we get a good chuckle at this kind of stuff, and when i went to forward as sms, it truncated the message, shortened it by 77 characters...so it was an EMS...

the question i have now is, how can we 1337 haxxxorz our phone to bypass the outbound and inbound EMS to regular phone numbers!

here is a copy of the message i got!

"From: 900070004760

Free message from Verizon Wireless: Browse and download the latest full-length hit songs right to your phone. On your phone, go to Menu (OK) > Media Center > Music & Tones > My Music. Megabyte charges may apply. To stop messages reply X."

W
    T
    F
    !
    ?
    05-22-09 11:30 AM
    Verizon sometimes makes me wonder whats going on with their company. Many-a-time I have found my self with the WTF thought bubble.
    05-22-09 12:05 PM
    true, but it's not a VZW restriction. it's a RIM restriction based on their agreement with VZW, idk if the EMS is like wi-fi, where only GSM devices have the option, because i've never seen an EMS berry on anything but AT&T
    05-22-09 12:06 PM
    I dont understand why i am limited to sending only 160 characters to other verizon customers. On my old LG phone i would have multiple 160 character "pages" that would send as one txt.

Now i have seen this once, and i do mean one, single time on my blackberry.

It showed the " 160 1/7 " on the top of the screen just like it would on the Voyager and i have no idea how i did it, but after i exceeded the 160 limit it did carry over to the next "page" that then read as " 159 2/7 " again just as it did on the Voyager and would allow me to continue to type.

I need to kno how i did that because sometimes 160 is just not enough (and i am aware of the app, but i dont wanna pay money for that if i can do it for free )

Sorry for the long post i just felt that i needed to be detailed so you understand what i am talking about.
    05-22-09 12:22 PM
    just to clarify, it is a RIM limitation on what i believe to be all CDMA blackberries...idk why. but your example of the voyager and other dumb phones...they use EMS as a key selling point, it is quite popular for messaging devices. but with blackberries, sms is the most basic of communication services.

i asked a RIM rep who came to VZW to train us on the curve when it came out and his response was, "because RIM doesn't get any kickback for sms based services. we only get it from data based services that go through our servers. I.M., email, mms, etc..."

so that is why they don't allow EMS with the blackberry software...now some blackberries on GSM carriers have it enabled. its the same situation as wi-fi, it isn't by carrier request to have it disabled...
    05-22-09 12:51 PM
    Ok then my question to you is, why did that one occurance take place? it happened one time and i was like frick how do i do that agaiinn.

And if i have this straight, RIM disabled the wifi capability becuase they do not recieve money from verizon for such service/ability, because my-oh-my would wifi be useful if it was available.
    05-22-09 01:50 PM
    Ok then my question to you is, why did that one occurance take place? it happened one time and i was like frick how do i do that agaiinn.

And if i have this straight, RIM disabled the wifi capability becuase they do not recieve money from verizon for such service/ability, because my-oh-my would wifi be useful if it was available.
    it has to be a VZW service, like how they send VM notifications to your device..it's technically an SMS message. i'm researching it right now...

as far as wi-fi, there is no wi-fi hardware on CDMA devices. period. not disabled, doesn't exist. there are theories but no word for sure one way or the other from RIM about it that i've heard. but apparently wi-fi will be available on future devices coming soon.
    05-22-09 01:53 PM
    i miss mms

stupid telus
    05-22-09 02:00 PM
    Future GSM devices, correct? Curse the CDMA network! The storm does have GSM capabilities as well, soooo when/if Verizon decides to make the switch we are still covered? Or am i wrong again?
    05-22-09 02:02 PM
    CDMA devices will have it eventually...there is a story about it on here somewhere, in a thread i believe...something about the atlas....stating that all VZW berries after that phone will have wi-fi
    05-22-09 02:11 PM
    So wifi on the 1st gen. storm is out of the question...... damn
    05-22-09 02:14 PM
    yeah, it doesn't have wi-fi hardware...
    05-22-09 02:20 PM
    But the AT&T storm does? What gives with that?
    05-22-09 02:26 PM
    There is no ATT storm.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-22-09 02:56 PM
    I can almost sware that i saw a picture of a storm with EDGE and wifi underneath. Telus?

anywho... i know that i have seen a picture of a storm with wifi on the screen.
    05-22-09 03:17 PM
    I can almost sware that i saw a picture of a storm with EDGE and wifi underneath. Telus?

It was probably a fake picture...
    05-22-09 03:19 PM

the screen shots of the themes have the icons, its on the emulator, not on a real device...
    05-22-09 03:23 PM
    FALSE ADVERTISEMENT! horrible horrible horrible.....
    05-22-09 03:24 PM
    FALSE ADVERTISEMENT! horrible horrible horrible.....
    nobody ever advertised that the storm had wi-fi, the emulator is a general app to accomidate ALL potential icons that could be available on the storm. so that if a new storm device was released later with wi-fi then they wouldn't have to re-write a whole new app.

you assumed that the the picture was a screen capture vs. something else, sorry it got your hopes up though. wi-fi IMO is more trouble than its worth, for my personal use anyway. just another security concern to me...
    05-22-09 03:28 PM
    Security concearns? Please continue with this topic.
    05-22-09 03:31 PM
    just another portal to access the device. there was discussion of potential spyware being able to DL onto your device and copy contact info/files saved on the device, and if/when a wi-fi location was available it could upload to a remote server. sort of an identity theft concern more than anything. i don't know much about it. there is a thread around here somewhere.

but we're WAY off topic now...we're talkin about EMS, remember? lol! i'm a sucker for valid discussion
    05-22-09 03:34 PM
    Im fairly new to the blackberry world and smarphones for that matter. I have never had the ability to access the mobile internet to its full potential like i said before with the Voyager. I have noticed that the storm does have its own firewall. Doesnt this offer some protection?

As for being of topic, I would start a new thread, but i dont see the sense in that when threadjacking is just soooooo much fun. hah
    05-22-09 03:45 PM
    Im fairly new to the blackberry world and smarphones for that matter. I have never had the ability to access the mobile internet to its full potential like i said before with the Voyager. I have noticed that the storm does have its own firewall. Doesnt this offer some protection?

As for being of topic, I would start a new thread, but i dont see the sense in that when threadjacking is just soooooo much fun. hah
    firewall would solve the issue, but idk how that hinder regular use of wi-fi if you're relying on that for primary data connection, etc...

and thread jacking is my fav too! i hijack my own threads!
    05-22-09 05:33 PM
    So you are saying that the firewall would just render the WiFi useless?

Sorry for the late reply, i only use crackberry at work.... ha
    05-26-09 11:26 AM
    05-28-09 06:53 PM
41 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD