Please don't take this as a negative review against the phone. I think it has a lot of great qualities, but the problems were just too many for me to handle.

I consider myself a pretty heavy blackberry user. My companies whole IT system is integrated into it and I have to have my blackberry every day in order to do my job.

I really love the build of this phone. It is beautiful and feels like a million dollars. But no matter how hard I tried I couldn't keep it functioning properly. The constant screen rotation with barely any movement was driving me insane!! I could not get the landscape keyboard down. I practiced and practiced but just made too many typos. I deleted the Verizon Navigator and it sped my phone up a little, but it was just too slow compared to my curve. Heck, it is slow compared to my 8700!

The camera takes ages to shoot the pic and the quality is not good unless the lighting is perfect and you have a subject that isn't moving at all. I was also unimpressed at how it washes out colors. Although the flash is very bright!

The browser is also a huge failure in my opinion. 3G is much faster than it is rendering on this phone. My iphone at edge speed was quicker to load full browsers than the storm was. I tried Opera on it, but the confusion over clicking or just touching was maddening and the constant pulling up the keyboard just made me mad.

I went to Best Buy today to grab a movie for my kids and I went over and played with the Bold. My God that thing is fast. I mean it makes the storm look like it was developed 5 years ago. Everything about the OS of that phone is refined, fast moving, and what a blackberry should be.

I in no way am flaming this phone or any of its users, I just hope that RIM learns from this and applies a MAJOR software update as this phone really needs it.

That's just some opinions of mine. I really love BB and I will get another Storm if these issues are ever worked out. I hope I didn't make anyone mad as that wasn't my intention. I just wanted to share my opinion on the phone.
    11-26-08 10:25 PM
    I just got my Storm today and am having a Bold delivered on Friday(had planned on returning the Bold) but I feel like Im on a bad first date!

Im not feeling the love for the Storm at all And I REALLY REALLY want to! I am coming from a Nokia E71 with symbian OS and that thing is zippy. no lag at all. And this thing just hangs on every command.

I WANT to love this phone! Because the concept of it is so awesome! And it looks GREAT! But I dont know if its possible. Im hoping I am just having a case of the Negative Nancy's and tomorrow I will feel differently. I hope.

Im just so used to being able to do 3 things at once and not having to close every application in order for the phone to function properly. I use my phone A LOT for work emails/ personal emails and texting... I just dont know if I can do that with the Storm. Im not giving up yet! I just hope I can acclimate to it.

I REALLY want to be happy with this phone!!
    11-26-08 10:34 PM
    thanks for the review.. i just got skrewed out of mine and will now wait for an update or 2, i'm slowly getting over that they never processed my order but it may be a blessing in disguise.

I knew before the launch (from this site) there were going to be bugs. and the guys/gals on the other side of the pond warned us. But def an honest review. I'm thinking it would drive me nuts, having done years of software development in the past.

sheiscurv you think i should just wait a few months?
    11-26-08 10:34 PM
    Sorry it didn't work out for you, but in early December there will be many bug fixes that will more than likely fix many or even most of your problems. At launch there are many very popular phones that had issues, including the sacred iPhone - the complaints are still plenty. I'm sure the Bold didn't release without glitches too. Too bad you weren't able to give the update try before turning in your Storm.
    11-26-08 10:37 PM
    keep in mind the Bold is currently running on revisions from what I know. The initial launch of that device was terrible.... however once they got the updates out its possibly the best current blackberry to date...

I haven't had many problems that people are having with my storm.. so I don't feel the frustration like others on this forum..but when the os gets fully tweaked it will get there it will get there

but when it comes down to getting work done with something reliable I don't blame you maybe once the storm gets revisioned you will be able to get it down the road.. but grabbing a bold is not the worst option either.
    11-26-08 10:37 PM
    Don't apologize I disliked it for the same reasons. I think 99.9% of power users will dump the phone because of the very same issues.

The Bold is a pretty sweet piece of equipment. Check out the Niagra that's coming out in May (possibly)

The Omnia is out right now and that's a pretty good phone as well. Winmo but some peeps don't mind.
    Good luck

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-26-08 10:38 PM

sheiscurv you think i should just wait a few months?
    I would lean towards yes on the waiting if you consider yourself a "power" user. As I said above, I had a Nokia and that OS is ROCK SOLID so maybe thats why Im having such a hard time with the Storm. I want to reiterate that the phone is not a BAD device... I am just not sure if its for me.

The Bold, however, may be more on par with what Im looking for, I will have to see when it gets here.

But, yes, if a friend were asking me "should I buy the Storm?" I can honestly say I would tell them "You might wanna wait a few months before making the investment"

All that being said, there are people here who LOVE this phone, so you would most certainly want to get as many opinions as possible, both good and bad.

Good luck
    11-26-08 10:41 PM
    With Verizon they have once again shown that there aren't many good phone options. The Samsung offerings use an old resolution. The Omnia is pitiful in having a 240 height screen. The Saga is a 320x320 that Palm had years ago. The only high resolution screens are (a) the Storm which isn't really anything you want to use if you will text/email often and are a "power user" and (b) the HTC Touch Pro, which has a keyboard that will make Verizon the **** of UI jokes indefinitely. Take your pick...
    11-26-08 11:57 PM
    wait for the update guys. from what i have heard that thing is supposed to be killer and make the OS on par with the BOLD
    11-27-08 12:03 AM
    Right now I cant even get the LED to stop flashing red after I get and retrieve a voicemail

Thats unacceptable
    11-27-08 12:10 AM
    Right now I cant even get the LED to stop flashing red after I get and retrieve a voicemail

Thats unacceptable
    Are you sure you don't have any messages which are unread?
    11-27-08 12:14 AM
    Are you sure you don't have any messages which are unread?
    positive.

It only occurs when I get a voicemail. Then I have to pull the battery to make it stop.

Total inconvenience.
    11-27-08 12:16 AM
    positive.

It only occurs when I get a voicemail. Then I have to pull the battery to make it stop.

Total inconvenience.
    So doing a battery pull makes it definitely stop and it doesn't come back after a few minutes right? After you listen to your voicemail, do you hit delete or save or do you just hang up after listening?
    11-27-08 12:18 AM
    wait for the update guys. from what i have heard that thing is supposed to be killer and make the OS on par with the BOLD
    From who? The Oracle?
    11-27-08 12:20 AM
    positive.

Total inconvenience.
    Have you been messing around with it since we talked on BBM?
    11-27-08 12:20 AM
    My thoughts being a dumbphone -> Storm user:

I've yet to see a all touch phone, iPhone included, geared for a power user. No touchscreen is really designed for power use. They all lack the tactile feedback of individual keys which is essentially how we all learned to type in the first place. I'm watching tv right now and typing this post and can do that because of the combination of memory of where the keys are and the feel as my fingers move to the next key.

I've seen some excellent people on iPhones, able to type pretty fast. Then there's my friend who can txt out a msg faster, one handed, while carrying on a conversation (with eye contact) on her Sidekick. She loves the way my Storm looks and feels but knows any touchscreen will slow her down.

As for the bugs. I've hit a few, not as many as others are reporting though. We are Early Adopters. The phone isn't even 7 days old yet. TBH for me, any feature that works flawlessly is a pleasant surprise because I knew going in to expect bugs. Now if 3 months from now I'm experiencing the same bugs, you'll find my Storm on ebay. And for true 'power' use, meaning the actual functionality and not how fast I can hammer out "OMG LOL ur my BFF!!!" just remember:

It's still a Blackberry
    11-27-08 12:31 AM
    Ya you say the Os was rock solid were as I had the Q with winmo and it was the most terrible phone I have ever owned. So moving over the the Storm I can live with the bugs as long as I know they will be fixed.

As for the bugs i am having is for some reason the Visual Voice mail is not able to connect to verizon as well as my browser keeps saying it can not connect as well. then sometimes it connects no problem. I have also noticed and was wondering if anyone else noticed this my signal strength meeter will go from full bars to no bars and back again, all while sitting in the same chair. IE not moving....
    11-27-08 12:32 AM
    So doing a battery pull makes it definitely stop and it doesn't come back after a few minutes right? After you listen to your voicemail, do you hit delete or save or do you just hang up after listening?
    yes, battery pull is the only thing that makes it stop.

i delete all voice mails after listening and it still flashes red.
    11-27-08 12:42 AM
    yes, battery pull is the only thing that makes it stop.

i delete all voice mails after listening and it still flashes red.
    That's very weird. I can't think of anything else that could be causing this. Did you check BBM? You've set your status to unavailable. Maybe there's a message you need to read. I believe I may have sent you one after your status change.
    11-27-08 12:45 AM
    I just got my Storm today and am having a Bold delivered on Friday(had planned on returning the Bold) but I feel like Im on a bad first date!

Im not feeling the love for the Storm at all And I REALLY REALLY want to! I am coming from a Nokia E71 with symbian OS and that thing is zippy. no lag at all. And this thing just hangs on every command.

I WANT to love this phone! Because the concept of it is so awesome! And it looks GREAT! But I dont know if its possible. Im hoping I am just having a case of the Negative Nancy's and tomorrow I will feel differently. I hope.

Im just so used to being able to do 3 things at once and not having to close every application in order for the phone to function properly. I use my phone A LOT for work emails/ personal emails and texting... I just dont know if I can do that with the Storm. Im not giving up yet! I just hope I can acclimate to it.

I REALLY want to be happy with this phone!!
    Definitely consider take it back and get a Curve. A Curve is exactly what you want, a "zippy" phone that can easily multitask. Or stick with the Storm and wait for an update, but don't expect a miracle.
    11-27-08 12:47 AM
    but don't expect a miracle.
    exactly my thoughts right now.

But Im still going to do my best to give it a fair chance...

Oh and I have had the Curve, if Im upgrading to anything, its the Bold
    11-27-08 12:54 AM
    Have you considered wiping the Storm completely and starting from scratch?
    11-27-08 01:04 AM
    If you just got it today, there's not much info to lose so far. Maybe a little time, but it should only take no more than 10 mins to wipe and reboot.
    11-27-08 01:05 AM
    I have no lags , but the keyboards just really fail and no update will fix that.
    Wondering if there are keypad downloads thatl suffice ?
    The iphones keyboard'd make this for me!
    11-27-08 01:14 AM
    If you just got it today, there's not much info to lose so far. Maybe a little time, but it should only take no more than 10 mins to wipe and reboot.
    No, thats a good idea though.

Certainly will do that, probably tomorrow, Im seeing double
    11-27-08 01:32 AM
33 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD