So I purchased a BlackBerry Storm from Craigslist and unlocked it and activated it for tmobile, I used it for a few days no problem and then I activated the BlackBerry data plan on my phone and all of the suddent I started getting emails responding to a CL posting...I was thinking to my self like wtf? I dont have a posting on CL...I check the posting and its for a massage service...and the dudes picture is on the posting!! I search more on the phone and discover it has a memory card in it and has pictures and it is indeed the massage guys phone who has a service he advertises on craigslist. I didnt think the phone was stolen as it came with a box and all. I checked the box and it turns out the numbers dont match and its not the box for this phone. Well, I remembered that I didnt clear my previous phone and I still have the phone number of the lady who sold it to me.

Cliffs:
    Purchased phone from CL
    Phone is stolen
    I found owners info and I still have sellers info
    08-06-09 02:33 AM
    So I purchased a BlackBerry Storm from Craigslist and unlocked it and activated it for tmobile, I used it for a few days no problem and then I activated the BlackBerry data plan on my phone and all of the suddent I started getting emails responding to a CL posting...I was thinking to my self like wtf? I dont have a posting on CL...I check the posting and its for a massage service...and the dudes picture is on the posting!! I search more on the phone and discover it has a memory card in it and has pictures and it is indeed the massage guys phone who has a service he advertises on craigslist. I didnt think the phone was stolen as it came with a box and all. I checked the box and it turns out the numbers dont match and its not the box for this phone. Well, I remembered that I didnt clear my previous phone and I still have the phone number of the lady who sold it to me.

Cliffs:
    Purchased phone from CL
    Phone is stolen
    I found owners info and I still have sellers info
    If you have the money just to give it back to the owner do it.
    If you cant afford giving up a phone you just bought then dont.
    I dont think with GSM network phones, that they get turned off when reported stolen.
    I think thats only with CDMA networks like verizon.
    But I could be wrong.
    Just the kind of person I am... and the way the economy is.. I'd ride it out.
    08-06-09 02:45 AM
    I wont support crime ... I would assume you have paid the money for the phone already and that the seller would prefer not to have a criminal record. In that case the seller could be persuided to give your money back and you return the phone to the owner ... everyone wins ... except the seller, who might or might not deserve it
    08-06-09 02:55 AM
    Well there is the right thing, and the normal thought. Right thing, return to original owner and contact the seller for a refund, knowing you won't get it. The normal thought, keep it knowing you bought it fair and square, and its not your fault it was stolen. I'd personally do the latter, until I realize how pissed I'd be if mine were stolen, in which case. I'd do the right thing. If you do that, contact CL and inform them of the situation and they should help you to recover your loss.
    08-06-09 02:56 AM
    I wouldnt be able to just take a loss on it as I actually gave my iPhone to someone as a gift (huge mistake...). If I were to take a loss on this phone I wouldnt be able to get another smart phone for a while but I need a phone which can do email. This really sucks.
    08-06-09 02:57 AM
    I wouldnt be able to just take a loss on it as I actually gave my iPhone to someone as a gift (huge mistake...). If I were to take a loss on this phone I wouldnt be able to get another smart phone for a while but I need a phone which can do email. This really sucks.
    Are you sure the seller or CL won't refund you? The seller surely must be nervous of being reported?
    08-06-09 03:06 AM
    Do u know for sure if its stolen? I mean wouldn't they blacklist it?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-06-09 03:09 AM
    If you really believe it is stolen then try to contact seller and inform him/her that you know the phone is stolen and would want your money back. If he/she doesn't want to, I would suggest to tell he/she that you are going to file a police report and see what happens.

I know it is not your fault that you bought a stolen phone but it is not the original persons fault that their phone got stolen. Hope it works in the end for you and under your device model it says you have a pearl flip. Use that until you can find out what to do.
    08-06-09 03:10 AM
    The pearl flip is my brothers phone. I registered here to ask a question about it because I used it for like 1 day lol.. I think I might just attempt to contact the seller first. I will also see if we can make a deal to get my money back and possibly involve the local police department.
    08-06-09 03:15 AM
    Good choice. Good luck.
    08-06-09 03:20 AM
    The pearl flip is my brothers phone. I registered here to ask a question about it because I used it for like 1 day lol.. I think I might just attempt to contact the seller first. I will also see if we can make a deal to get my money back and possibly involve the local police department.
    Well good luck and next time check the ESN/PIN to make sure phone is not stolen or lost.
    08-06-09 03:26 AM
    Let this be a warning. Do not buy BlackBerry devices off of Craig's List. Even eBay is still better as you can resolve disputes like this. With Craig's List, you're on your own when it comes to this sort of issue and I can guarantee Craig's List won't do anything to help (buyer beware).
    08-06-09 05:01 AM
    That is the way to do it.
    08-06-09 06:06 AM
    Perhaps it wasn't stolen, just lost. The person didn't know how to find the owner so they sold it? Either way, if it can be returned, it should be returned.
    08-06-09 09:39 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD