My first storm was amazing...software wise i have had no problems even after all my installations and upgrades...only problem i had was a slight clicking problem which was fixed by a few post its...i figured i'd ask for a replacement since i payed good money for the phone and hopefully get one with a perfect screen...it arrived today and wow was it garbage...it felt like the iphone in that there was NO CLICKING! lol...gaps between buttons was huge, total disaster...if i received this phone first i would not have seen myself sticking with the device...so sending it back hopefully third times a charm...thank god my original was awsome (after the slight fix)...love my storm!
    12-30-08 06:06 PM
    Yeah my replacement was worse than my original too lol

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-30-08 06:21 PM
    Did you guys get a sealed retail box replacement or one of those "certified as new" replacements?
    12-30-08 06:24 PM
    Could you possibly post a picture of the two devices unless you actually closed it back up. I want to see the difference in "gaps" My gap seems no noticeable but I was wondering how the ones with the gap look.
    12-30-08 06:27 PM
    brand new out of the box
    12-30-08 06:27 PM
    Could you possibly post a picture of the two devices unless you actually closed it back up. I want to see the difference in "gaps" My gap seems no noticeable but I was wondering how the ones with the gap look.
    Also had a huge problem with my replacement. I'm glad I stuck with the original despite a slight clicking problem.

Here is the comparison image of my original on the left. Replacement on the right.

Just the replacement by itself now.

Just the original by itself now.

And now the bottom of the replacement which is oddly flush.

All in all, this is a wordy way (with tons of images to boot) of saying that perhaps people should think carefully about jumping to replacements.

I should note I was charged $200 temporarily for this replacement.

And my past history with Verizon has shown me its quite difficult to get those extraneous charges removed. It had better not be a problem this time.

As usual, my disclaimer is that your mileage may vary.
    12-30-08 06:40 PM
    Od. I have 2 Storms. Bought one as a back up. Both were shipped with OS .75 and both work flawless and hardware seems perfect on both.
    12-30-08 06:45 PM
    those would be the exact pictures i would post...gap in same spot on top of screen...awful second device...just going to prob stick it out with my original
    12-30-08 06:46 PM
    Damn you can really tell the gap on the top right of your replacement asmallchild. I am kind of happy mine is fine except for the clicking issue which I fixed myself lol.
    12-30-08 06:49 PM
    those would be the exact pictures i would post...gap in same spot on top of screen...awful second device...just going to prob stick it out with my original
    The 2nd device (with the asymmetrical gap) also clicked worse than my original. I took it out of the box, took one look, clicked once, and immediately knew there would be no point in going further to remove the plastic and charge up the unit.

Even without the business card or Torx screw tricks, I feel my original Storm is decent enough in clickiness. I remember back in the day I paid $3000 for a brick of a cell phone. It wasn't perfect then. I certainly don't expect 100% perfection from this device. Considering the "bargain" price of $200 and the fact that this is RIM's 1st touchscreen device (and the world's 1st clicking touchscreen), perfection is probably aiming too high.

I'm definitely sticking it out with my original.
    12-30-08 06:50 PM
    Remember my Father saying in situations like this "A bird in hand worth 2 in bush".
    12-30-08 07:43 PM
    OMG did anyone actually LOOK at that phone before packaging and shipping it out. I got mine the day it came out and other than the card trick behind the battery it has been great(which just made a good phone better)! I see why people are complaining now, I definitely would be! Thanks for the pics!
    12-30-08 08:59 PM
    Not to mention, I see more and more with these cheap washed out screens.

Washed out purple.

Correct black.

12-30-08 10:24 PM
    I guess the few of us with a "perfect" device are very lucky. Although i bought mine mid December on eBay, It must have been one of the first batches, it carried the storms original OS. It's been good to me so far.
    12-30-08 10:36 PM
    Not to mention, I see more and more with these cheap washed out screens.

Washed out purple.

Correct black.

What is the weather icon on your screen???
    12-30-08 10:42 PM
    its the weather bug application.
    12-30-08 10:47 PM
    Damn dude....... Now you have me wondering if mine is good enough! All I have is very little dust and a little wobble in the screen. I think I will wait it out til something really happens that effects the operation! Thanks for the post o was about to get a "better" one tomorrow! I hope someone gets fired over this quality control issue!

12-30-08 11:25 PM
    I'm sticking with my original eventhough it COULD be a bit better, clicking-wise. Too much of a risk to get one of these " replacements" that may or may not (50/50) be better than what you already have.
    12-31-08 12:51 AM
    Oh man. I fixed mine with the torx fix and toyed with the idea of replacing it but honestly the click is beautiful now. And plus I would have to reprogram all my auto texts and all that. I am keeping my first baby. Now with some better faster software I will have nothing to ***** about. Then what will I do?

12-31-08 12:59 AM
    My first one is still doing it for me as well. OS .85 fixed the lag issues I was having as well as moving my ringtones and wallpapers to device memory, so I am good to go. I hope those still getting replacements hit on a working one so they can start enjoying the phone as much as most of us here do.
    12-31-08 01:08 AM
    Did you guys get a sealed retail box replacement or one of those "certified as new" replacements?
    there not "certified as new" replacements.
    there brand new.
    whoever started that, has no idea what there talking about.
    12-31-08 01:16 AM
    Where do you find the torx screws?
    i can't find one that small anywhere.
    12-31-08 01:26 AM
    there brand new.
    oh i didnt know you work at rims factory. maybe you could give us some info on the next storm OS? Or how the gsm version is going?

I mean you must work for rim if you know that people have "no idea what there*sic talking about"

how do you know refurbs arent going out yet? the phone has been out long enough (not even including all the test and demo units) that there could be refurbs, or even more likely "Certified like new" devices. what do you think verizon is doing with the thousands of returned units? Even if the return rate was only 10% which we all know its higher, that would mean 50,000 - 100,000 returned devices. wanna guess what they are doing with those? cleaning them, checking them, putting a stikcer that says 21009 on them and putting them in a brown box.
    12-31-08 01:37 AM
    I got two replacements and my original ended up being the best so I just kept it.
    12-31-08 01:37 AM
    there brand new.
    Sorry to go off topic, but this really bugs....

You meant "they're" not "there". "They're" is a contraction between they and are.

"There" is an adverb "the awesome storm is over there."

.....end pointless rant.......
    12-31-08 08:10 AM
31 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD