I bought my Storm sometime in January or February... don't remember exactly. For one month I was the happiest man alive. Then the problems started. It was slow, had to reset it almost every day, too few apps which sucked, bad service, and more. Then I discovered the miracle of upgrading the OS. My Storm just kept on getting better and better. I was impressed! And happy once again! However, the OS versions just stagnated in terms of additions and speed. I still had to reset it daily in order to work properly, and then it just turned off. Or so I thought. It was the LCD screen. Fail. Sent it to two or three different service repairs and they didn't know what the heck was wrong it with. Decided to spend $100 on a new LCD screen + $30 on the shipping. 10 days later, I was a happy man again, and had my beloved Storm back. I was happy, put it on a new OS, bought a few apps to help me, and let's not forget about the BIS. However, the Storm still sucked hard. I gave up on my BIS (I don't know yet if I have to pay 55 euros to my carrier for making them close my BIS account, but I'll find that out soon) in order to sell the Storm. I decided that the phone runs too slow and nobody will but it. Bought some screen protectors in order not to scratch the screen. Added it. installed a new OS, installed some useful apps, and decided to keep the phone until I get a new one like a HTC Hero, or HD2 depending if the latter gets out sooner rather than later. Well, I was enjoying my Storm, thanking him for its great Calendar, for the Gmail app and others when earlier today after I posted a reply on CrackBerry, the damn screen broke down on me again. Now I can't sell my Storm. I'm very pissed, I've lost my patience, and I'm not willing to buy another screen or send the screen back to see if it's broken because I realized that there was nothing wrong with the screen. It's the damn phone. I've seen more than 10 people on this forum and other forums with their Storm's screens broken. It's clearly that the screens are OK. Let's say that it was badluck the first time, but for the 2nd time... it's just not possible (I mean it's possible, but simply unbelievable). I just want to say something that you all know: fool me once, shame on you. fool me twice, shame on me. Crackberry, you've been a great community and I learned a lot about BB (not only the Storm) while here, thank you and goodbye for ever BlackBerry!
    10-12-09 10:19 AM
    I bought my Storm sometime in January or February... don't remember exactly. For one month I was the happiest man alive. Then the problems started. It was slow, had to reset it almost every day, too few apps which sucked, bad service, and more. Then I discovered the miracle of upgrading the OS. My Storm just kept on getting better and better. I was impressed! And happy once again! However, the OS versions just stagnated in terms of additions and speed. I still had to reset it daily in order to work properly, and then it just turned off. Or so I thought. It was the LCD screen. Fail. Sent it to two or three different service repairs and they didn't know what the heck was wrong it with. Decided to spend $100 on a new LCD screen + $30 on the shipping. 10 days later, I was a happy man again, and had my beloved Storm back. I was happy, put it on a new OS, bought a few apps to help me, and let's not forget about the BIS. However, the Storm still sucked hard. I gave up on my BIS (I don't know yet if I have to pay 55 euros to my carrier for making them close my BIS account, but I'll find that out soon) in order to sell the Storm. I decided that the phone runs too slow and nobody will but it. Bought some screen protectors in order not to scratch the screen. Added it. installed a new OS, installed some useful apps, and decided to keep the phone until I get a new one like a HTC Hero, or HD2 depending if the latter gets out sooner rather than later. Well, I was enjoying my Storm, thanking him for its great Calendar, for the Gmail app and others when earlier today after I posted a reply on CrackBerry, the damn screen broke down on me again. Now I can't sell my Storm. I'm very pissed, I've lost my patience, and I'm not willing to buy another screen or send the screen back to see if it's broken because I realized that there was nothing wrong with the screen. It's the damn phone. I've seen more than 10 people on this forum and other forums with their Storm's screens broken. It's clearly that the screens are OK. Let's say that it was badluck the first time, but for the 2nd time... it's just not possible (I mean it's possible, but simply unbelievable). I just want to say something that you all know: fool me once, shame on you. fool me twice, shame on me. Crackberry, you've been a great community and I learned a lot about BB (not only the Storm) while here, thank you and goodbye for ever BlackBerry!
    If u bought it in February it's still under Warranty. Why didn't u send it back and get a replacement device?
    10-12-09 10:34 AM
    What exactly is wrong with the screen?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-12-09 10:43 AM
    ^ Pretty much my sentiments, as well. Not sure what it's like in Romania, but I'd have to image that RIM's 1 year warranty is the same regardless of where you're at in the world.
    10-12-09 10:46 AM
    I bought the Storm from the webz. It was unlocked etc. no warranty. The screen goes black. The phone is on, but the screen only shows a "blue-ish" hue. From what I can tell (now and the last time it was broken) the phone works OK as I can call, receive calls, receive SMS, the calendar lets me know that I have to do something (don't exactly remember what I had to do at this hour)... etc.. There are several threads on this forum about people who have the same problem as me, however, I don't know about anyone who had his screen broken twice.
    10-12-09 11:00 AM
    I bought the Storm from the webz. It was unlocked etc. no warranty. The screen goes black. The phone is on, but the screen only shows a "blue-ish" hue. From what I can tell (now and the last time it was broken) the phone works OK as I can call, receive calls, receive SMS, the calendar lets me know that I have to do something (don't exactly remember what I had to do at this hour)... etc.. There are several threads on this forum about people who have the same problem as me, however, I don't know about anyone who had his screen broken twice.
    I hate to say it, pilok, because I do feel your pain, but anytime you buy an electronic device like this "used" without any kind of backing it's always "buyer beware".... a crap shoot at best (not that you need me to tell you that).

These devices - the 9530 and 9500 models in particular - have had waaaay too many hardware issues since release to take a chance on getting one from eBay, Craigslist, etc., all in an effort to save a few dollars. Sure, some make out ok doing this, but obviously this isn't always the case. As much as we all like to save a few $$$ where ever we can, I admit that I feel a certain sense of security knowing that if my device fails for any reason I can either claim it as a warranty issue of have it replaced under insurance.
    10-12-09 11:30 AM
    Have you tried wiping the phone and installing an older OS (like .148 or .151) on it?
    10-12-09 11:50 AM
    Have you tried wiping the phone and installing an older OS (like .148 or .151) on it?
    I was thinking to do that, but I don't know if I can wipe the phone using DM.

@grgiwoyna: I'm still young and learning. I know bad things can happen, but if the phone would have been broken in less than 45 days then I would have had my money back. It's not the problem of warranty, I just wasn't aware of what I was buying. I wanted a BB for so long, but I also wanted a touch-based phone, and when the Storm was out... I just didn't read of all its problems before I bought it, I found out about everything after that. I won't do that mistake once again, but time presses me because I really need a smartphone, however, this doesn't belong in this section.

If it's possible to wipe the phone via DM then I'll do it and install .148 which was really good for my 9500. Thanks grey for the idea! If it doesn't work then I'll take the phone as well as the two LCDs to a service repair and ask them to look once again, this time closer and test the LCDs on other smartphones. I don't think they're toasted because sometimes the screen works for a few seconds so it's definitely an internal problem.
    10-12-09 12:44 PM
    You don't wipe it with DM, you wipe it with BBSAK or \JL Cmdr.

Give it a shot bro. It's easy to do.
    Last edited by z06mike; 10-12-09 at 02:58 PM.
    10-12-09 02:56 PM
    Installed BBSAK and hit wipe device, but it took less than 5 seconds to do it. Is this ok?
    EDIT: Somehow I've lost the ability to connect the Storm to the PC. I receive a "Windows - No Disk" with multiple zeroes and all error everytime I connect the phone to the PC via USB. Too bad. Didn't think that it could get worse. Somehow I found this very amusing.

EDIT 2: Somehow the error is gone, connected the phone, re-installed the OS, still doesn't work. It's kinda late here, and I have work to do tomorrow. I'll wipe the handheld again tomorrow, download and install .148. I don't have hope, not even a single one, but it's worth trying than do nothing.
    Last edited by pirlok; 10-12-09 at 05:35 PM.
    10-12-09 04:59 PM
    Maybe someone just sold you a POS phone...
    10-12-09 07:43 PM
    hmmmm i'm having the same problem.

did BBSAK or JLcmdr work for you?

I tried BBSAK, but it's saying 'no device found' even though my comp recognizes the device.
    hmmm
    then downloaded JL but the program didn't download correctly for some reason
    hmmmm
    10-12-09 08:48 PM

I tried BBSAK, but it's saying 'no device found' even though my comp recognizes the device.
    hmmm
    hmmmm
    BBSAK worked, but I don't know if it wiped it correctly because the process has ended in 5 seconds. Didn't try JLcmdr, but i'll give it a try. Reinstalled OS, LCD still bricked. I'm looking for the OS that came with the phone, maybe that will fix, however, I doubt it.

@crashberry: that would be possible, but what about all other people who had their LCD screens broken?
    10-13-09 11:27 AM
    Sorry to resurrect this thread, but I just want to let everybody know that it didn't work. Wiped handheld using BBSAK, also hit reset to factory settings and installed the phone's original OS .78. The screen is still not working. If someone with my problem found a solution other than buying a new screen, then please let me know how you did it. Thank you.
    10-26-09 12:02 PM

hmmm
    hmmmm
    I have BBSAK (correction:had) never recognized the device. DM did, PC did but BBSAK. Eventually I deleted it. Was useless. Better yet when I went to the website where the developer posted it from RIMGeeks.com • Index page it didn't let me register nor I could find a Contact us or smtg. Hm
    10-26-09 08:22 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD