I think the Storm is a great device and a big seller, but this rollout so far is a mess! You have an old (beta) OS, Terrible national reviews, not enough Storms at stores and IMO a very bad marketing strategy for such a grand device.

I'm no fan of the iPhone, but it makes me wonder how Apple would have handled this rollout and all the big time buzz that would have been created about the Storm. It seems to me that VZW is in control of this mess when BB should have taken more control of this rollout.

Having a great product is one thing, but if it's not marketed correctly/effectively it means nothing.
    11-21-08 08:19 AM
    Not to be too critical, but Apple is on a whole different level than VZW... they are first and foremost a computer company. They have a solid marketing campaign. They can incorporate many products in their ads such as iPod on your phone, blah, blah, blah... I think that for a phone company VZW did a decent job on the advertising and hype building for the Storm. IMHO it is the individual stores who royally f'ed up the roll out. In the end BB did its job helping VZW advertise and build hype... VZW dropped the ball.
    11-21-08 08:25 AM
    how would apple handle it... one word: better.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-21-08 08:28 AM
    11-21-08 08:32 AM
    The only issue I had with my iphone 3G purchase was activating it. There were so many people getting the phone, the activation server went down. Thats about it.

From the reviews, it looks like this Storm doesnt really compete with the iphone on any level other than turn by turn GPS. Email is better on the iphone, the screen displays far more colors, and its generally a far better design. The Storm doesnt even have hardware to accelerate the graphics on the phone!

I must say im a little disappointed. I thought it was finally my chance to leave AT&T... oh well, I guess ill stick with iPhone for now.
    11-21-08 08:36 AM
    Didn't Apple have a limited in-store supply for the 3G rollout and instead just took orders for direct fulfillment?

I wonder if this is the new model of high demand phone rollouts?
    11-21-08 08:38 AM
    The only issue I had with my iphone 3G purchase was activating it. There were so many people getting the phone, the activation server went down. Thats about it.

From the reviews, it looks like this Storm doesnt really compete with the iphone on any level other than turn by turn GPS. Email is better on the iphone, the screen displays far more colors, and its generally a far better design. The Storm doesnt even have hardware to accelerate the graphics on the phone!

I must say im a little disappointed. I thought it was finally my chance to leave AT&T... oh well, I guess ill stick with iPhone for now.
    The specific issues might be different, but the iPhone 3G launch was generally considered botched. I mean, the media was calling it the "iPocalypse."

Honestly, I think the Storm launch is probably going to look worse than the iPhone 3G launch. But it was Apple's decision to roll out all of those services at once. That decision lead to a not-so-great launch. Let's not rewrite history here.
    11-21-08 08:45 AM
    Yeah, forget about the bugs or whatever, the iPhone had the same. The only thing to really be concerned about it the amount of Storms available.

You get probably the biggest marketing campaign for your product ever, hoping it generates enough interest...only to ship approx (on avg.) 5-10 per store? REALLY?
    11-21-08 08:48 AM
    I think they handled it EXACTLY the same way...hindsight is 20/20
    11-21-08 08:50 AM
    Who cares about Apple? They chose the worst possible network to launch their masterpiece and they had a myriad of problems (still do actually). The Iphone gets its value from the hype, not the quality of the product.
    11-21-08 09:01 AM
    Who cares about Apple? They chose the worst possible network to launch their masterpiece and they had a myriad of problems (still do actually). The Iphone gets its value from the hype, not the quality of the product.
    Seems the Storm is worst, look how many bad reviews it's gotten despite all the hype, YEAH.
    11-21-08 09:09 AM
    Seems the Storm is worst, look how many bad reviews it's gotten despite all the hype, YEAH.
    The Storm did not have 1/10 of the hype the iPhone got.

The reason the iPhone got as good reviews as it did is because it was a revolutionary device that gave people all sorts of "oohs" and "ahhs."
    11-21-08 09:11 AM
    Apple / AT&T would have botched this the same as BOTH iPhone roll outs... the only difference is - Apple would have made you feel great about the experience!
    actually they chose the best possible network and that network decided to decline
    The Storm did not have 1/10 of the hype the iPhone got.

The reason the iPhone got as good reviews as it did is because it was a revolutionary device that gave people all sorts of "oohs" and "ahhs."
    LOL, the storm also got hyped and now it's starting to dissapoint, how can you get hit with some many bad reviews.
    11-21-08 09:16 AM
    LOL, the storm also got hyped and now it's starting to dissapoint, how can you get hit with some many bad reviews.
    90% of the problems addressed in the reviews can be fixed. Sure, the iPhone has gotten rave reviews, but how many reviews addressed the post-honeymoon issues that people have had? Safari's instability? Awkward typing? Even worse 3G networks?
    11-21-08 09:20 AM
    90% of the problems addressed in the reviews can be fixed. Sure, the iPhone has gotten rave reviews, but how many reviews addressed the post-honeymoon issues that people have had? Safari's instability? Awkward typing? Even worse 3G networks?
    How many reviews will also address the blackberry's typing which no one seems to like?

No App store?

An OS which isn't built for touch?
    11-21-08 09:24 AM
    actually they chose the best possible network and that network decided to decline
    ...because Apple said this device WILL have unlocked GPS and WiFi...

Not a good choice for the carrier... thought they might loose $10 in spite of the $100 they could have had. Something about nose to spite the face...
    11-21-08 09:26 AM
    How many reviews will also address the blackberry's typing which no one seems to like?

No App store?

Ask how many people like the typing on the iPhone. Go ahead, I dare you. The only reason that got a pass on initial reviews was simply because of the "ooh" factor. Any calibration issues can be fixed with a software update.

App stores have already been confirmed for early next year.

Of course the OS has been built for touch. It's got issues, but that doesn't mean it can't be fixed.
    11-21-08 09:27 AM
    How would Apple have handled the rollout?

Probably would have sold iPhones instead of Storms.
    11-21-08 09:28 AM

No App store?

This thread is about how Apple would have handled this roll out, NOT why the iPhone is better than the Storm. Look, the iPhone could be the best phone in the universe, but since it's locked to a single carrier, even in all its perfection and glory, some people are just not going to be able to get it. Ignoring all other factors (keyboard, App Store, bugs, etc.), not wanting AT&T is a hard stop. There's no getting around it. So you can sit there and tell us all about why the iPhone is so special or you be a grown up and realize that reliable call service is more important than shininess to some people.
    11-21-08 09:34 AM
    Ask how many people like the typing on the iPhone. Go ahead, I dare you. The only reason that got a pass on initial reviews was simply because of the "ooh" factor. Any calibration issues can be fixed with a software update.

App stores have already been confirmed for early next year.

Of course the OS has been built for touch. It's got issues, but that doesn't mean it can't be fixed.
    So why couldn't RIM do the same and "oooh" the reviewers?

Yes an App store has been confirmed, why couldn't it already be here? Look at Google, they launched with their Marketplace when launching Android but with RIM, we have to wait till who knows when. These days you need an App store, why do you think Microsoft is building one. The App store will also be controlled by the carriers.

The OS is not built for touch. Most of the reviewers even said it. RIM should have built a new OS for touch from the ground up. Instead they took the old OS and slapped it on a touchscreen. Just like HTC does with Windows Mobile.

Face it RIM has no balls. They do what the carriers tell them, instead of dictating to the carriers like what Apple does. Somebody needs to tell those boys in Waterloo to grow some balls.
    11-21-08 09:35 AM
    This thread is about how Apple would have handled this roll out, NOT why the iPhone is better than the Storm. Look, the iPhone could be the best phone in the universe, but since it's locked to a single carrier, even in all its perfection and glory, some people are just not going to be able to get it. Ignoring all other factors (keyboard, App Store, bugs, etc.), not wanting AT&T is a hard stop. There's no getting around it. So you can sit there and tell us all about why the iPhone is so special or you be a grown up and realize that reliable call service is more important than shininess to some people.
    Right but Verizon is not that much better than AT&T. At least AT&T doesn't go around nickle and dime folks. Also depending on where you are AT&T has better service than Verizon.
    11-21-08 09:37 AM
    Yeah, apple did a great iphone2 launch with servers crashing, being unable to register devices in stores, and everything from 3g, wifi, gps and batteries dropping like flies with mass recalls and thousands of upset customers. In the uk, o2 (sole distributor) were advising people to wait a few months until os updates and hardware were sorted. Sound familiar? Any cutting edge commercial product has this issue - early sat navs and plasma TVs, even outside the commercial sector, the first off products are usually flawed and need fixes. That's technology for you... If you don't want that, buy a nokia 1100 that can only text or make calls. RIM are no better or worse than the other makes out there.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-21-08 09:48 AM
49 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD