I just got the blackberry storm, my provider is Verizon. Is there a way to watch TV shows for free? Or what is the cheapest way to watch TV shows?

Thanks
    04-10-09 09:01 AM
    if you use the "search forums" feature you will find lots of threads on this topic
    04-10-09 09:04 AM
    Leave your phone off.... sit infront of your tv facing backwards and look through the nice black screen on your storm....bam...tv
    04-10-09 09:30 AM
    dont ya just hate all these people with smart remarks. The person just asked a simple question. Either point them in the right direction or shut up
    04-10-09 09:33 AM
    dont ya just hate all these people with smart remarks. The person just asked a simple question. Either point them in the right direction or shut up
    Isn't your comment a "Smart remark" to their "Smart remarks"? Wait!! Am I being "Smart" too?
    04-10-09 09:37 AM
    You have 2 options, both involve streaming from your home PC or broadband via your provider ... both require either a SlingBox appliance that can stream your home satellite or cable connection over the web or the free app ORB 2.0 that still requires your PC have a TV Tuner installed.

I use a Pinnacle Pro HDTV USB Tuner on my PC and connected my Charter Cable coax to it ... then I installed the ORB software on my PC and the ORB app on my Storm ...

When I launch and LOGIN to MYORB it connects me to my home PC's broadband connection ... I have access to MyPictures, MyMusic and MyVideo folders on my PC by default as shared folders. That means my PC can "stream" any pix, music or videos I have saved on it to my Storm at the fastest possible speed they can both connect at.

Live TV is a little trickier ... using ORB I can turn on my TV Tuner on my PC remotely and bring up the Channel Guide ... I then pick a station and, if all goes well, after about 60 seconds of connection negotiation, the channel I chose starts streaming to my Storm ...

I can choose any channel I normally get over cable-TV .. I get Charter-cable-plus as part of my broadband internet package ...

Depending on my location and strength of signal I either really enjoy ORB or it ticks me off. For one thing, once you have a solid signal and the show you are watching is streaming clearly, don't move!!! This is NOT going to work in a car cruising down the highway at 70mph .... to get an uninterrupted, solid broadcast you have to establish a link and then NOT break it.

I have also had issues where everything was set up right but then, in the background, my home PC updated Firewall, Anti-virus, Windows OS or whatever-the-**** as part of a scheduled update and then rebooted my PC ... and now ORB won't work until someone in front of the PC clicks OK to allow the connection ...

That's the price you pay to compute in a shared environment safely but it's still a PITA when your PC was fine when you left the house and then you get a "connection refused" error from ORB because your Firewall or Antivirus software decides after an update that it doesn't like ORB anymore until "somebody" presses OK to allow it to connect on the PC you are currently nowhere near ...

Well there you have it ... your "live" TV choices on a so-called "smart phone" ... there are other packages on other phones ...

Don't get me wrong, I'm talking FREE here with ORB and at 10:00 every night, unless all **** breaks loose, I crank up Dallas channel 33 and watch 2 1/2 Men and then Family Guy for an hour while I eat lunch. Works absolutely fabulous unless, as stated above, some kind of uncontrollable freaking thing goes sideways on my home PC ... then I call my wife and ask her to go into the computer room and click "OK" to whatever is on the danged screen ... LOL

Hope this helps ... I don't own a Slingbox and it hasn't been optimized for BB use yet anyway ... do a Search for more info on that ...
    04-10-09 09:38 AM
    I too use Orb to impress the co-workers... it was great during March Madness since MMOD was blocked at work.

One thing to look out for is Windows Media Center (if you have it), as it can prevent you from streaming live TV via Orb. If Media Center is running, you get a message that it needs to be shut down in order to use the tuner.

It gives the option to shut it down via Orb, but it is very tempermental when using the Storm. It works fine from my laptop, but the Storm just doesn't want to let me use Orb ot shut down Media Center.

Make sure you've got a good connection though, as slower areas will not get very good picture quality.
    04-10-09 10:01 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD