My Storm seems to have some issues with locking and unlocking.

The first time I locked it gave me a message stating it was cleaning the memory and would take a few minutes. This kept my phone unusable for about four minutes. Not a big deal, but I never saw that on my prior Storm.

Any other time I lock it the screen will freeze for a split second, then bring up the blue screen, but there will be one of the clock icons, like the windows hourglass. It'll go through to about 3 o'clock from 12. Again, my old phone never did this.
    Also weird, sometimes the blue screen doesn't go fully opaque and I can see the menu icons behind it. My old storm never did this.

Lastly, when I unlock it will take 1-3 seconds for the blue screen to disappear. Again, I seem to remember my old Storm being nearly instant, but I could simply be paranoid.

Anyone else notice this?
    01-21-09 04:29 PM
    Mine takes about 1 second to transition back and forth between the lock screen and wherever it was when I hit the lock button, but during that actual transition time, the screen itself is already locked - even if I click it before the lock screen comes up, nothing happens. I've definitely never seen the message about cleaning the memory before, and if I have seen the waiting clock (I don't clearly recall if I have), it wasn't a frequent occurrence.
    01-21-09 04:55 PM
    Actually, earlier today I unlocked and it stayed blue.
    When I clicked, though, it highlighted mail in my inbox. That email was a white rectangle in the blue. I clicked elsewhere and the same happened.

So it unlocked, but didn't refresh the screen. Then, when I'd touch, it would refresh the part I was touching, but not the rest of the screen.

I'm wondering if it's a video ram issue. I get the hour glass every single time.
    01-21-09 04:57 PM
    I never seem to have a problem with how long the phone takes to unlock ... it's more like I have to press the unlock button 3 or 4 times for it to work.
    01-21-09 05:16 PM
    Ahhh...the old delayed phone lock annoyance. That bothered me like nothing else bothered me about my Storm! I learned recently (from another post about locking) that the delay is actually caused because of the memory cleaning function. The memory cleaner runs every time you lock your phone, and causes a delay in the display. Mine would actually lock instantly, but the screen wouldn't keep up with it (seems like a common problem with the software - similar to the keboard lag). If you disable memory cleaning, lock and unlock happens instantly.

Options � Security Options � Memory Cleaning, and set Status to disabled.

I'm not sure if the tradeoff is worth it, but I turned mine off because of the annoying delay. Unfortunately, as far as I know you don't even have the choice of doing a manual memory cleaning when disabled, which is even dumber than the lag.
    01-21-09 05:18 PM
    Yeah i have similar issues. I have to wait 4-5 seconds and occassionally even longer for the phone to unlock while the stupid "clock" waiting icon appears on the screen.
    01-21-09 05:22 PM
    Ahhh...the old delayed phone lock annoyance. That bothered me like nothing else bothered me about my Storm! I learned recently (from another post about locking) that the delay is actually caused because of the memory cleaning function. The memory cleaner runs every time you lock your phone, and causes a delay in the display. Mine would actually lock instantly, but the screen wouldn't keep up with it (seems like a common problem with the software - similar to the keboard lag). If you disable memory cleaning, lock and unlock happens instantly.

Options � Security Options � Memory Cleaning, and set Status to disabled.

I'm not sure if the tradeoff is worth it, but I turned mine off because of the annoying delay. Unfortunately, as far as I know you don't even have the choice of doing a manual memory cleaning when disabled, which is even dumber than the lag.
    I second this post! I had the same issue.
    When I enabled memory cleaning I instantly had issues. I disabled it and my problems went away.
    01-21-09 05:30 PM
    mine is super slow.
    01-21-09 07:02 PM
    Patience is a virtue...motto for this phone so far
    01-21-09 08:15 PM
    Actually, emails open slowly for me, too. The first time I open an email it'll zip to the email screen but give me a white screen for two seconds.

Also something my previous Storm didn't do. Of course, that one reboot constantly; thus far this one doesn't.

Still... this is actually more annoying.
    01-21-09 10:54 PM
    How do you set the length of time the Storm needs to be idle before the screen automatically locks? Mine seems to happen within 15 seconds so I have to keep touching the screen so it doesn't go into lock mode right away. I have looked everywhere for this but all I can find is most people switching to a 3rd party app. FYI: I don't use a password.

Thanks.
    11-28-09 05:56 PM
    OS 5.0 seems to make most things much faster. Did you try running it yet?
    11-28-09 05:57 PM
    My screen lock pops right up but takes 8 seconds before the screen goes completely black. REALLY LAME.

What 3rd party apps are people using?
    11-30-09 11:10 AM
    Yes it is slow. Often times I'm not sure if it registered the button press, so I'll press it again which ends up re-locking it. And lets face it the button is difficult to press if you are trying to use your phone one handed.

I was using StormSlider, but it didn't work with OS 5.0 when it was 1st leaked ... not sure if it has been upgraded to work yet or not.

There are a few applications that RIM really needs to add to the Storm to allow this Touch Screen phone to work better. Instead it seems that they are trying to tweak the existing OSs for their keyboard phones so that they'll work with a Touch Screen.
    11-30-09 05:56 PM
    Turn off memory cleaning
    11-30-09 10:16 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD