Can anybody suggest an application or trick for me to password protect my email, text, multimedia library, and contact list besides using the general password protect phone lock? It doesn't really offer enough security and with the stupid "emergency call" feature, I'm worried I'll accidentally dial out when I don't mean to.

I tried downloading Safebox, but every time I go to set the password it tells me it's an invalid password. I'm guessing that it's not Storm-friendly.

Does anybody have other suggestions?
    05-20-09 04:31 PM
    Translation:

My husband/wife/boyfriend/girlfriend likes to snoop around and I don't want him/her to find out I am cheating on him/her. PLEASE HELP!!!11
    05-20-09 04:56 PM
    Translation:

I work at a job where I have sensitive information on my phone and because I don't carry my phone with me everywhere, I want to know it's secure. Because people find my phone facinating, they're often picking it up and playing with it, and I'd prefer they not go through my stuff when I'm not there since I don't want to explain to my boss how alarm codes were easily looked up off of my phone by a random person.

Another translation:

My friends are pranksters and enjoy swiping phones and sending prank texts. Having been both the sender and recipent of said texts, I'd like to prevent revenge.

Yet another translation:

I spent a lot of money on my phone and my entire life is on the thing... I'd like to know that any bonehead with two thumbs can look up the phone number, email, and personal information of every last person I know.

Still another translation:

The lock feature on the phone still has a button that allows you to quickly call 911 and I carry my phone in my pocket, meaning even when the phone is locked it can still call out to 911 if I hit the screen the wrong way. I want my phone's screen to be locked and the content secure without randomly calling 911 everyday.
    Last edited by JerushaGirl; 05-20-09 at 05:30 PM.
    05-20-09 05:26 PM
    Yet another translation:

Jeff got spanked by JerushaGirl. Don't be so quick to judge people, Jeff the F4g boy wonder.

I don't think there are any applications to only lock the specific info you mentioned. Although it's not the most secure method, I use PatternLock to keep the occasional curious snoops/pranksters out. I have the timeout set to 5 minutes, and it works great. Keeps people out and is extremely easy to unlock when I need to.

Translation:

I work at a job where I have sensitive information on my phone and because I don't carry my phone with me everywhere, I want to know it's secure. Because people find my phone facinating, they're often picking it up and playing with it, and I'd prefer they not go through my stuff when I'm not there since I don't want to explain to my boss how alarm codes were easily looked up off of my phone by a random person.

Another translation:

My friends are pranksters and enjoy swiping phones and sending prank texts. Having been both the sender and recipent of said texts, I'd like to prevent revenge.

Yet another translation:

I spent a lot of money on my phone and my entire life is on the thing... I'd like to know that any bonehead with two thumbs can look up the phone number, email, and personal information of every last person I know.

Still another translation:

The lock feature on the phone still has a button that allows you to quickly call 911 and I carry my phone in my pocket, meaning even when the phone is locked it can still call out to 911 if I hit the screen the wrong way. I want my phone's screen to be locked and the content secure without randomly calling 911 everyday.
    05-20-09 05:37 PM
    Have you tried enabling Password Protection?

Option>Password>Enable.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-20-09 05:41 PM
    NVM.

I see that you have. There's an app that hides certain apps/docs like pron in the 3rd party app section; not sure if it will suit your needs though.

05-20-09 05:45 PM
    What is with the translations? This is ridiculous. I want an answer to this as well because I don't mind people looking at my phone, but texts are personal.
    05-20-09 05:59 PM
    Ok, I got my solution and figured I'd pass it on!

Safebox is an app designed to password protect individual aspects of the BB, however, I was having Storm compatibility issues. After contacting the folks who put the program together, all you have to do to make it work on the Storm is the following:

Go to

Options> Advanced> Applications... Highlight Safebox and press the menu key. Select "Disable Compatibility Mode." Exit options and run Safebox. Press the menu button, select "Shutdown Safebox." Then restart the prorgram. The problem should correct itself.

To protect your messages, email, and my media browser, I chose the following for Safebox protection:

net_rim_bb_file_explorer
    net_rim_bb_medialibraryplayer
    net_rim_bb_bb_messaging_app

So far, everything seems to be working great after the fix. I can still get into the media library through the camera, but that is easily fixed by locking the camera as well.

So there you go, kids!
    05-21-09 07:47 AM
    Ok, but locking those features still doesn't stop the phone from dialing 911 in your pocket. Your arguments for why you need the lock might be partially true, but I sense more like you want to hide the risque pics and videos on your phone.

That being said, now that you've solved that problem, I believe the slide lock program with the Iphone style lock will prevent the phone from using the emergency call feature.
    05-21-09 08:02 AM
    Ok, but locking those features still doesn't stop the phone from dialing 911 in your pocket.
    No, it doesn't unfortunately. But it does mean I can leave the phone unlocked without worring about who's getting into what when I'm not there. That's all I really want.

Your arguments for why you need the lock might be partially true, but I sense more like you want to hide the risque pics and videos on your phone.
    Well, I guess I'm flattered that people think I'm that interesting, but really what it all boils down to is that my phone is my phone. Considering how much it cost to buy and how much it costs to use every month, and how much stuff I have on it, I don't want to know just anybody can paw through my private pictures and information... Be them pictures of my newborn nephew and my family, or supposed wild, raunchy pictures. And while I don't have anything like that on my phone, I do have pictures of family time and vacations and events that I consider personal, private, and intimate that I don't want just anybody to rifle through just because I left my neat phone out and they want to know how it works.

That being said, now that you've solved that problem, I believe the slide lock program with the Iphone style lock will prevent the phone from using the emergency call feature.
    Awesome, thanks!
    05-21-09 11:47 AM
    Hello...
    I find that this program works when it wants to...

Sometimes it will ask me for the code. Other times i will go and check my messages after the phone has been idle for over an hour and it will go right into the messages without even asking for a code.

After i battery pull it works again fine. But this defeats the whole purpose. If someone asks to use your phone you have to say "hold on... let me do a battery pull first"

Anyone else experiencing this. Any suggestion? I have paid for and registered the program so this is not the issue. Thanks.
    05-27-09 08:28 AM
    I just use storm slider and lock the entire phone.

Also I like translation 1 the best.

and "hold on let me do a bettery pull first" LMFAO!!!!

That is all.
    05-27-09 08:46 AM
    Patternlock Ftwwww!!!!
    05-27-09 09:36 AM
    Ok, I got my solution and figured I'd pass it on!

Safebox is an app designed to password protect individual aspects of the BB, however, I was having Storm compatibility issues. After contacting the folks who put the program together, all you have to do to make it work on the Storm is the following:

Go to

Options> Advanced> Applications... Highlight Safebox and press the menu key. Select "Disable Compatibility Mode." Exit options and run Safebox. Press the menu button, select "Shutdown Safebox." Then restart the prorgram. The problem should correct itself.

To protect your messages, email, and my media browser, I chose the following for Safebox protection:

net_rim_bb_file_explorer
    net_rim_bb_medialibraryplayer
    net_rim_bb_bb_messaging_app

So far, everything seems to be working great after the fix. I can still get into the media library through the camera, but that is easily fixed by locking the camera as well.

So there you go, kids!
    Awesome response and extremely useful..... thanks.
    05-27-09 11:40 AM
    She answered her own question....... hah
    05-27-09 11:48 AM
    i call BS....this is an advertisement for an app lol!

if you have sensitive info on your phone, then you should enable the auto-lock timeout with a passcode. thats how BES does it, and they have the most sensitive information around.

(i'm generalizing all BES users into a single noun for the sake of the discussion. lol!)
    05-27-09 01:00 PM
    First of all how is it any easier to password protect some apps, why not just password protect the phone, so that you only have to enter the password once?

Second, I believe that the 3rd part password apps like pattern lock or slider lock dont offer much protection; DM will be wide open unless you've enabled BB password on the Storm. And I think you can reboot into safe mode and bypass any 3rd party password protection (but I havent tried this).

BB password is the best way to go, IMO.
    05-27-09 01:32 PM
    Reboot in safe mode? How am i supposed to hit F3 when the phone is starting? There is no F3 ?!?
    05-27-09 01:36 PM
    Reboot in safe mode? How am i supposed to hit F3 when the phone is starting? There is no F3 ?!?
    Disable the BB password, install a 3rd party password/lock app.
    Then boot the Storm into "safe mode" (Id have to look it up, but its something like battery pull while holding the back button)
    I think you'll be able to bypass or even delete the lock app, and you'll get into the phone and all of its data. Or just hook the phone up to DM.

I havent actually tried this, but this is why I only use the built in BB password protection, I dont believe that any of the 3rd party apps offer much real protection. And Id hate to lose my phone and have this much personal info available to anyone.

Correct me if Im wrong.
    05-27-09 01:58 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD