I have a data plan with 500MB of data and when I bought the phone the sales guy said I would never go over, so why are there 1 and 2 GB plans? I occasionally email, I use the internet daily and I rarely stream videos. Is it actually possible for me to go over my limit? Thanks.
    06-22-09 11:34 AM
    yes, it is very possible. It all depends on the way you use data. Email is fine because of the compression over BIS. Internet should be okay, but if you are on all the time and you are browsing "full" websites you could be using a lot of data. Streaming Videos, will eat of you data so be careful.

Oh, and stay away from Tetherberry
    06-22-09 11:43 AM
    It's possible to go over it. I download my fair share of apps each month, email daily (use my blackberry for work email on my BIS plan) and use youtube once in a great while max I have done so far is 200 some MB. Keep checking your data usage on their site (if possible) and if you get close to the 500 MB (I would say within 100MB) call to upgrade the plan so you don't get hit with data overages.
    06-22-09 11:46 AM
    Keep in mind other things that will pull data like a gps app or even weather apps that update. A weather app is probably a tiny amount of data, but something like a week long driving vacation using google maps for directions could wipe you out.
    06-22-09 12:50 PM
    I receive around 20 emails a day.
    Around 100 web pages
    Some youtube video in the month
    Weather
    MSN messenger
    BB Messenger a lot
    Google sync
    Some others...

Never exeding 200 mb...

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-22-09 12:53 PM
    500 megabytes is roughly about 25-50 minutes of MP3 data. 25 minutes if you go for a high quality rip, where usually 2 megs per minute is the standard compression ratio for a high quality rip. A reasonable, hearable recording will tend to be around 1 meg to at the very minimum of 512k per minute.

Streaming Audio you may be looking at 512k per minute, so you are looking at 100 minutes roughly of music listening.

To give you a slightly better idea. I know of two iPhone Users and seen the bill for their data usage.

One user, who does the periodic looking and the iPhone does a lot of update buzzing, was about 500megs in data usage in a month. Most of his data usage was just the iphone chatter and the occasional lookup on a day to day basis.

Another user, a teenager who spends a fair amount of time looking at Youtube videos on a daily, was hitting around 2 or so Gigs of data.

Depending on how heavy of a user you are on the internet and the content you view, you will find certain data plans will fit your needs.

If you are doing minimal browsing, or streaming, and mostly mail, you will have more than enough data. Now if you are doing serious usage, like streaming video browsing on a near constant basis or having a lot of applications doing updates at a near constant pace, you might blow away the 500 megs in a week or two depending on how heavily you use the internet portion of your dataplan beyond the mail capability.
    06-22-09 01:15 PM
    I have a data plan with 500MB of data and when I bought the phone the sales guy said I would never go over, so why are there 1 and 2 GB plans? I occasionally email, I use the internet daily and I rarely stream videos. Is it actually possible for me to go over my limit? Thanks.
    hold on 500 MB on what your blackberry an aircard? because on your blackberry is unlimited, the tethering on your berry 5gb...aircard plans are 250MB or 5Gb so where are you coming up with 500MB
    06-22-09 01:18 PM
    hold on 500 MB on what your blackberry an aircard? because on your blackberry is unlimited, the tethering on your berry 5gb...aircard plans are 250MB or 5Gb so where are you coming up with 500MB
    he's on a different carrier
    06-22-09 01:22 PM
    From the phone i haven't exceeded 200mb of data. But last week I purchased tetherberry and went on vacation to Greece (beautiful), and used over 800mb because of streaming movies and the whole family using my laptop. 500mb a month isn't bad unless ur a heavy data user, I mean heavy every hour of the day for 1 month.
    06-22-09 01:24 PM
    do u need to hav internet for bbm?? and how much would 500mb b if i used bbm outt somewhere?? thanks ..
    10-30-11 11:01 AM
    ???????? how long does 500mb last for if ur using bbm??
    10-30-11 11:03 AM
    You will need a BIS plan to use BlackBerry Messenger with most carriers. The exception are some carriers that offer "Social Plans". Some Canadian carriers offer social plans that include only BBM, other IM (MSN, Yahoo, GTalk) but not the browser. If your carrier does not offer a social plan, then you need a BIS plan.

How much data is used for BBM depends on what you are doing. If you just send and receive messages, data use is minimal. However, if you send and receive lots of pictures, videos and songs, then you will use more data.
    10-30-11 11:21 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD