I hear my phone ring just now and pick it up immediately only to find out I got in on the 4th ring? This is happening more and more.

That sux, can I change anything to get it better? It was just sitting on the desk and not doing anything DATA wise, it does have Yahoo messenger running in the background, good signal strength. I need the phone to work more than I need the DATA options.
    01-22-09 04:53 PM
    My wife says that when she calls it rings for ever but it only rings 1 or 2 rings on my end.
    01-22-09 05:22 PM
    I complained about this a while ago... so before all the "This is how blackberry's have always worked" people come in here...

click on the volume icon.. then go down to | SetRingTones/Alerts | Click on Phone | Click on Vibration | Custom.. then set it to only Vibrate once. At least now you will hear a few rings.. the vibrate i can barley feel anyway.

So now the phone will Vibrate Once.. then ring.. Vibrate Once then ring.. i think it's set to vibrate 4ish time then ring once by default. so you MIGHT hear a 2nd ring.

Turns out this phone doesn't Ring AND Vibrate at the same time.

But thats the best i could do.
    01-22-09 05:26 PM
    If a tree falls in a forest and no one is around to hear it, does it make a sound?

Just kidding. I had the same problem to happen and I wiped my phone and it was all good.

The only difference is that my vibrate is very strong, either that or because of the case I have on it might give the phone more weight and it hits the surface of the desk, etc. more. Not really sure.
    01-22-09 05:49 PM
    I have no idea what "wiped" means or how to do it, but my phone has the vibe turned off, do you think it is waiting the same amount of time for the vibe even tho it is not using it?
    01-22-09 06:36 PM
    You Can Buy A Program Like Ring & Vibrate For Like $7.99 In Crackberry's App Center. I'm Used To The Phone Vibrating And Ringing Simultaneously, So It Was A Must Purchase For Me. You Can Set Up How Long The Vibrate Last And How Far Apart From Each Other, Its Not Bad.
    01-22-09 07:09 PM
    why not just make the ringer louder? or stop using some crappy ringtone that is practically silent.
    01-22-09 07:09 PM
    why not just make the ringer louder? or stop using some crappy ringtone that is practically silent.
    The point is the phone is not getting the ring signal until the 4th ring on the other end, it does not matter what ringer I chose, it takes forever to register on the display as an incoming call.

If this thing cant get a call I am going to return it, no point in having all these other things if I miss call because the phone never rings.
    01-22-09 08:06 PM
    i dont here mine till its too late to answer.
    01-22-09 08:13 PM
    I added Vibrate and Ring, so at lease Ill know that someone is calling. I also called VW to adjust the time before it goes to voicemail, they told me it couldnt be changed, after 30 seconds the call goes to voicemail. On my phone it usually takes 5-10 seconds before it rings, meaning that I only have about 20 seconds before the call goes to voice mail. I agree, this is frustrating, dont know if can be fixed or not.
    01-22-09 08:16 PM
    You Can Buy A Program Like Ring & Vibrate For Like $7.99 In Crackberry's App Center. I'm Used To The Phone Vibrating And Ringing Simultaneously, So It Was A Must Purchase For Me. You Can Set Up How Long The Vibrate Last And How Far Apart From Each Other, Its Not Bad.
    Vibe and Ring is not compatible with the storm. Or so it says in the Crackberry Download center
    01-22-09 08:19 PM
    ****A fix for you all---------Move your Ringtones to the Device Memory Instead of the Media Card. It lets you hear your ringtone much more quickly.

Go to:

Media>BB>Explore and find your ringtones, then move them "up" to the device memory

Happy listening...
    01-22-09 08:36 PM
    ****A fix for you all---------Move your Ringtones to the Device Memory Instead of the Media Card. It lets you hear your ringtone much more quickly.

Go to:

Media>BB>Explore and find your ringtones, then move them "up" to the device memory

Happy listening...

They are currently not on the card, they are located in a folder marked "system", I do not have any ring tones in my media card, just an empty folder.

EDIT: The trouble is not how long it takes to ring, it is how long it takes to get the stupid call...the display does not even show a call till the 4th ring on the callers phone.
    Last edited by Rider-on-the-storm; 01-22-09 at 09:06 PM.
    01-22-09 09:01 PM
    Did you try to wipe your device like black widow suggested? You can do it with JLcommander. A search of the forums should give you the link as well as instructions on how to use it.

Best of luck!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-22-09 09:14 PM
    The point is the phone is not getting the ring signal until the 4th ring on the other end, it does not matter what ringer I chose, it takes forever to register on the display as an incoming call.

If this thing cant get a call I am going to return it, no point in having all these other things if I miss call because the phone never rings.
    You guys are all missing the point (except for the guy I'm quoting here)... Vib&Ring is not the solution to the OP's problem. Yes OP, I have had similar complaints from people calling me on my Storm. "Dude, what took you so long to pick up???" And I picked it up before the first ring was even done (with phone unholstered and sitting on the desk next to me).

Point being, why is the network not ringing this phone as soon as it's ringing on the caller's end? I'm running .75.
    01-22-09 09:26 PM
    When I tested it, it was ringing on my end after two rings on the calling end.
    01-22-09 09:39 PM
    If I call my Storm from another Verizon cell, a VOIP handset, and even a POTS line, it takes at least 3 rings on the calling end before it makes any indication of an incoming call on the Storm- the data arrow in the upper-right corner of the display, the red LED, or the ringer (stock or added, no difference). When it does ring I can hear it loud and clear.

I haven't missed many calls because of this, but people must think I use caller ID and need time to think about taking their call!
    01-22-09 09:42 PM
    Point being, why is the network not ringing this phone as soon as it's ringing on the caller's end? I'm running .75.
    A cell phone will never start ringing immediately, it's just the way the network works. I have experienced the delayed ringing, but it's inconsistent. I just tried calling my phone now, and it started ringing during the second ring. Other times, it's rang 5 times before my phone started.
    01-22-09 09:43 PM
    A cell phone will never start ringing immediately, it's just the way the network works.

I have had a cell phone since they weighed as much as a shoe...never had this kinda lag, even with my giant analog flip phone. If I keep this phone, it's gonna hurt.

(P.S. I have two perfectly good star-tacs if anybody wants one
    )
    01-22-09 10:50 PM
    I have had a cell phone since they weighed as much as a shoe...never had this kinda lag
    Absolutely, I wasn't trying to imply that the kind of lag people are reporting in this thread is normal or acceptable. I'm just saying that it'll never be instant.
    01-22-09 10:57 PM
    I too was having the same problem,Phone starts ringing and by the time i get it out of the holster to answer it was going to my voicemail.......

So try this it worked for me..
    Dial *96 and put in the amount of times you would like it to ring for,,,
    *964,,,,,rings 4 times......
    *963,,,,rings 3 times ....
    *968...rings 8 times
    and so on worked for me,, never miss a call now....
    01-23-09 07:57 PM
    I had this problem on my Voyager as well. I'd answer my phone to people hanging up on me. Whenever I called back they would say that it was ringing for awhile, but it would be the first ring on my end.
    01-23-09 08:40 PM
    I too was having the same problem,Phone starts ringing and by the time i get it out of the holster to answer it was going to my voicemail.......

So try this it worked for me..
    Dial *96 and put in the amount of times you would like it to ring for,,,
    *964,,,,,rings 4 times......
    *963,,,,rings 3 times ....
    *968...rings 8 times
    and so on worked for me,, never miss a call now....

You forgot to mention which carrier this will work on. It definately wont work on VZW.
    01-23-09 09:35 PM
    You forgot to mention which carrier this will work on. It definately wont work on VZW.
    Sorry im with Bell In Canada.....

Guess every carrier has different set ups....
    01-23-09 09:55 PM
    You can call Verizon (800) 922-0204 and goto support (dial zero). They can change the number of rings before it goes to voice mail.

However, turning off vibrate works too. Blackberry tends to be a weak vibrate compared to non-smart phones.
    01-23-09 10:40 PM
70 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD