View Poll Results: How many more RIM OS updates with S1 owners get?

Voters
33. You may not vote on this poll
  • Several more.

18 54.55%
  • Probably just one more.

10 30.30%
  • None. S2 is coming soon.

8 24.24%
  • Hard telling.

2 6.06%
Multiple Choice Poll.
    New user here, so bear with me.

With all the leaks, beta's, hybrids, hacks, etc. running around here on CB, how many more official RIM OS updates will we see?

It seems there is a running list of things that are working and things that still need some tweaks, so why isn't RIM responding? (not picking or trolling) So what's the ETA on another official release and will we ever see another one with the S2 coming so soon.

I'm late to the party with the S1. Hopefully they will give us at least ONE more really stable final OS before dropping the S2 bomb.

-Brad
    (sorry if this has been talked to death already)
    09-12-09 01:22 PM
    Hi brad welcome to crackberry, you are correct this has been talked to death and not only are there about 1000 threads already. Brad also this question is impossible to answer I mean even RIM doesn't know how many more os updates they are going to make so how can anyone else. Thanks for joining brad I hope I answered your question and enjoy your new storm.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-12-09 01:30 PM
    It depends on two things:

Rim making an OS worth approving

A carrier actually approving and releasing said OS

Also, the term "official" is relative. The part you need to be concerned with is "carrier supported". Anothe carrier's release might not always play well with your network or features your carrier provides.

Hope I clarified a little for ya.

09-12-09 01:42 PM
    are you complaining? Beta leaks are good. Gives you a glimpse of what's to come. I say bring on more leaks

09-12-09 01:44 PM
    As many as they need to make it the best it can be. if they want ot just stop due to S2 coming then they should give everyone a free one.
    09-12-09 01:45 PM
    Both valid points. Thanks guys.

I'm just not much of a beta tinkerer, especially if you have to jump through hoops to get a new OS properly installed. I'm on a 30 day trial and I'm thinking about trying the .167 OS because I want all the functionality there. The latest ones sound really good but I like using the camera at times. Hopefully RIM and Verizon can agree on another decent update soon.
    09-12-09 01:46 PM
    are you complaining? Beta leaks are good. Gives you a glimpse of what's to come. I say bring on more leaks

Easy bro. Not complaining. I'm making a personal observation. Beta leaks ARE good, but only to a certain extent. If you love to tinker and play....great. If you just want an OS to work without much fuss, then beta may not be your thing. Same is said for ALL forms of beta. Win 7 has been in beta forever now and I still wouldn't touch it with a ten foot pole. Not until it's done.

It seems as if most leaks have been robbing Peter to pay Paul. You gain several good things only to take away something important to someone else. I don't like that. Not a complaint, but personal preference.
    09-12-09 01:51 PM
    Well I'm on .148 with no major complaints or issues. The only purpose of asking a question like this is that you're

1) unhappy with the phone as is

2) just wanna geek out and try something new

I'm guessing the former. If you want help email me. [email protected]

09-12-09 01:54 PM
    Well I'm on .148 with no major complaints or issues. The only purpose of asking a question like this is that you're

Not necessarily.

I'm not unhappy with the phone, but I want it to be the best it can be WITHOUT sacrificing all it's features. I don't think thats too much to ask. Could it be better? Sure. The iPhone could be better. Everything evolves.

I don't mind geeking out, but I'm not a beta tester persay. If there is a solid working full featured leak better than .148, I'll give it a shot.
    09-12-09 01:58 PM
    Here's my suggestion then. Thantos created a thead outlining each OS, benefits, flaws, etc. I believe its in the storm "how to" subforum. That will answer your questions.

09-12-09 02:42 PM
    Both valid points. Thanks guys.

I'm just not much of a beta tinkerer, especially if you have to jump through hoops to get a new OS properly installed
    . I'm on a 30 day trial and I'm thinking about trying the .167 OS because I want all the functionality there. The latest ones sound really good but I like using the camera at times. Hopefully RIM and Verizon can agree on another decent update soon.
    the process is virtually the same for the "official" os and the leaked ones.
    09-12-09 05:20 PM
    I think there will be several more official OS releases. Because the Storm is on several carriers and they may approve different versions of 5.0. IMO
    Just a speculation, I could be wrong.
    09-12-09 05:25 PM

Try to upgrade to .167. You will love it. The phone is faster and more stable. you won't regret it at all.
    09-13-09 07:03 AM
    the process is virtually the same for the "official" os and the leaked ones.
    It's not quite the same process for me. I am on the corporate enterprise server (BES or BIS) so my corporate IT guys need to get involved, give me "permission", all of which can take a couple days.

I wish I knew how to download new versions without IT's involvement.
    09-13-09 07:14 AM
    I think there will be several more official OS releases. Because the Storm is on several carriers and they may approve different versions of 5.0. IMO
    Just a speculation, I could be wrong.
    im guess he means VZW official only though
    09-13-09 07:15 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD