After 6 original crappy Storm replacements, I downloaded the operating system 5.0 last week. I lost Facebook, Blackberry Messenger, and my Contacts. I took the phone into the store, and despite waiting over three hours for them to wrk on my phone. Finally, after being told that my phone was fixed when it was not, I went to another store, exasperated and irrate. I told the clerk my entire ordeal with six Storms over 10 months and said I will leave the store satisfied. The clerk called his manager, and the manager asked me what I wanted. I told him I wanted to get out of my Verizon contract. He said he can't do that. He asked if there was anything else he could do to make me happy. I said I want the Storm2. He said ok, all I had to do was pay $80 although I am not eligible for an upgrade. I said ok. Thus far, I am satisfied.
    10-31-09 12:05 PM
    All due respect, it sounds like user error to me. You need to back up your stuff before you change OS's. Granted, Facebook and App World don't backup, but you should have done your contacts.
    10-31-09 12:24 PM
    ya u should of bap ur contas and everything there is nothing a store is going to do about user , its not the stores fault u didnt backup but non the less grats on getting a S2 u must of been close to be getting an upgrade ne ways so the store gave u it

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-31-09 12:30 PM
    All due respect, it sounds like user error to me. You need to back up your stuff before you change OS's. Granted, Facebook and App World don't backup, but you should have done your contacts.
    agreed, those problems dont warrant a phone return. I am sure the others were the same type of deal. Its no wonder this phone has such a bad rap. BBM, facebook and app world are like a 5 second fix to get back.
    10-31-09 12:35 PM
    If they are a 5 second fix to recover, why couldn't any technician do it?
    10-31-09 01:12 PM
    I just upgraded without any problems whatsoever except for one third party app that stopped working, QuickPull Pro. Essentially, I am very satisfied with the new update and the Storm 1 that I have works like a brand new phone. Its faster, more stable, and I am getting 5 megabits per second download speed when before I was getting only .5. There are fewer dropped calls and the voices are clearer on the phone. I think they came through at RIM on this one. Neat device. Probably better on the Storm 2 but the Strorm 1 is pretty good too.

I use the Blackberry Desktop software to back up everything on the phone every week. Then I make 2 copies of the backups on my desktop computer and archive them, one on a thumb drive and one on a slave drive.

As far as the Verizon store clerks are concerned, some of them are not so hot and some are pretty good. Best thing to do is not go into a Verizon store expecting rocket scientists everytime.

By the way, there is a neat program called ABC Amber Blackberry Converter that converts the IPD backup files to any format you want, including XLS, CSV, DOC, WPD, and so on. I use it and its really good for making lists of contacts in Excel format.
    Last edited by Gigamath2; 10-31-09 at 01:37 PM.
    10-31-09 01:19 PM
    I am/was eligible to upgrade August 2010.
    10-31-09 01:20 PM
    Me too. And that's when I'll upgrade.

I don't fault you for getting a Storm 2, since you had to shell out some bucks to do it. I do agree with howarmat however, I don't think the problems warranted it. Enjoy your new phone.
    10-31-09 01:25 PM
    Sounds like a case of the squeaky wheel...

After your 3rd replacement why didn't you ask for them to multi-fru you to something else? Alternatively, if the phone was that "crappy", and you had such an "ordeal", why did you stick with it? I agree with the prior posters that the backup/recovery process is straightforward, but you need to know what you're doing (eg: see the link in my sig).

Here's a link to the product documentation page for the 9550 from RIM's website. Hopefully it helps you as you learn to use your new phone: BlackBerry Storm2 9500 Series - Manuals and Guides
    10-31-09 01:25 PM
    i am not going to go into how bad some VZW techs are, but there are tons of threads on here about having to reinstall the apps and the easy solution.

As for the contacts, they wouldnt be able to get those back without your back up file, but you could easy do that yourself.
    10-31-09 01:26 PM
    agreed, those problems dont warrant a phone return. I am sure the others were the same type of deal. Its no wonder this phone has such a bad rap. BBM, facebook and app world are like a 5 second fix to get back.

Took me about 5 minutes including boot time.. I must be slow..
    10-31-09 01:49 PM
    Talked to another representative in the Verizon store. He said that they are routinely upgrading people to the Storm2 who are not otherwise eligible for an upgrade because people are still coming in angry about the original Storm even after downloading OS 5.0. He said they expect even more people will want to prematurely upgrade when the Droid comes out.
    11-01-09 11:38 AM
    Let me get this straight: you took your Storm back because you forgot to do a backup before upgrading? You should backup your contacts & files regularly anyway.
    More to the point, why couldn't you do it?

I'm asking seriously here; why blame you not bothering to reinstall your apps on anyone but you? And as for losing your contacts - making a backup is almost cretinously straightforward using Desktop Manager.

This sounds to me like a clear case of "User Error: Please Replace User".
    11-01-09 12:15 PM
    Just to answer this... the techs do not have access to your backups that would be located on your pc (if you've backed up, or the auto ones during an upgrade). Only you have access to them.

11-01-09 12:22 PM
    Talked to another representative in the Verizon store. He said that they are routinely upgrading people to the Storm2 who are not otherwise eligible for an upgrade because people are still coming in angry about the original Storm even after downloading OS 5.0. He said they expect even more people will want to prematurely upgrade when the Droid comes out.
    of course they expect that... because they know people aren't intelligent enough to have these devices, but buy them anyway because they want to try and be something they're not. And the only reason people are coming in now that the S2 is out IS BECAUSE THE S2 IS OUT. The same will happen when Droid comes this Friday- it's something different, something new, and they want to be the first to have it despite not being rightfully eligible for it. And guess what-- those are the same people that will do stupid **** and then complain about how something doesn't work, or doens't work the way they expected, etc... and will want to switch to something else.

as far as your data goes, "ridiculous" doesnt even start to describe it. A grade-school dropout with only basic reading skills could use DTM- it's that bleedin easy! Oh waaaaaah, I lost my apps!!! Download them again, and get on with life.

"User Error: Please Replace User" AHAHA THAT WAS GREAT!!!
    11-01-09 01:24 PM
    Geez....I too upgraded to the 5.0 O/S and everything went well although I had some minor cleanup to do, like I backed up everything so running that fixed 99% and I am waiting for the official Quickpull Pro release and have updated already my other apps. Everything works and anything I needed to know on how to do, I searched here and found out. I don't think I could have turned into an a$$ at a Verizon store and demanded a Storm 2 like that. Still, even if I did, I'd have to have on lipstick to get in the $80 rear like that.
    11-01-09 01:33 PM
    of course they expect that... because they know people aren't intelligent enough to have these devices, but buy them anyway because they want to try and be something they're not. And the only reason people are coming in now that the S2 is out IS BECAUSE THE S2 IS OUT. The same will happen when Droid comes this Friday- it's something different, something new, and they want to be the first to have it despite not being rightfully eligible for it.
    So I'm gonna say this. It has nothing to do with now being able to use the phone... The storm1 has soon hardcore flaws that other older phones don't. I can play Playstation one games on my winmo and can't play Gameboy color on this. Even with OS 5 my phone locks up on facebook all the time.

not everyone is **** riding RIM. If this was a good phone it would be fine. These problems shouldn't exist...
    11-01-09 01:41 PM
    Your going to be just as upset with storm 2 after the shine wears off.

11-01-09 01:47 PM
    So I'm gonna say this. It has nothing to do with now being able to use the phone... The storm1 has soon hardcore flaws that other older phones don't. I can play Playstation one games on my winmo and can't play Gameboy color on this. Even with OS 5 my phone locks up on facebook all the time.
    oh noes!! i cant haz play game on BB?

big deal. it's not a gaming device. Just because you can't play games on it doesn't make it a POS. Even more, don't blame RIM because FB locks up... talk to FB about them making a 5.0 compatible app.

I should put in my sig "rockin my Storm since 12/2008- no problems because I can actually read, and figured things out on my own instead of expecting others to do it for me."
    11-01-09 01:55 PM
    this

17char?
    11-01-09 02:03 PM
    hmmmmm. this thread makes me want to go ***** at some reps in person so that i can see if i can get a deal lol
    11-01-09 02:21 PM
    hmmmmm. this thread makes me want to go ***** at some reps in person so that i can see if i can get a deal lol
    You'll just end up making a scene, some child cry, and yourself look like a ****. I strongly advise otherwise.
    11-01-09 02:26 PM
    oh noes!! i cant haz play game on BB?

big deal. it's not a gaming device. Just because you can't play games on it doesn't make it a POS. Even more, don't blame RIM because FB locks up... talk to FB about them making a 5.0 compatible app.

I should put in my sig "rockin my Storm since 12/2008- no problems because I can actually read, and figured things out on my own instead of expecting others to do it for me."
    Except the FB app is released but RIM as tested and working.

How about putting out a phone has has flaws in every OS since launch.

Or better yet...using the phone's RAM as App storage space?

Or the suck headphone jack issue?
    11-01-09 02:27 PM
    All I can add to this thread is my conviction that storm2 will be as bad as storm1. Still a year left on my s1 and it works fairly well (mostly) but I'm off to nokia asap. Seems to me they have an r&d dept that does more than eat donuts all day.

11-01-09 02:44 PM
    Haha! This thread is amazing!

And we won't prematurely upgrade anyone to the S2 here, our matrix calls for the Tour. Suck-ahs!
    11-01-09 03:09 PM
68 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD