Hey all! This is my first official post and I would like to start off with a simple but NICE option you can use on most hot swappable devices.

When you plug you blackberry into a windows computer you can explorer the files and folders of the device and the memory card in the device.
    Normally looks something like this:
    Make sure that your device Mass Storage Mode is on by doing the following:

Menu>Options>Memory>Mass Storage Mode Support>ON*

Next, you can download this file:

"desktop.rar"
    megaupload com/?d=B3XSN2GH
    (just add the dots, please... rules are rules.. and you know what they say about rules)

Which will make it easy to turn this:

Into this:

Simply download the file above & extract/open then save the contents of the "Device Memory (BLACKBERRY1)" folder into you blackberry1 device drive.

Contents should look like this:

Again, thats open the "Device memory" folder, cut/copy each file and paste into the drive.*
    Do not copy and paste the entire folder.
    Like I said before, I don't repeat myself.

Once completed, unplug your blackberry from your pc and reinsert it.

I added an additional icon for the Sandisk memory card. Woot. Just rinse and repeat.

I would recommend viewing the image before saving it on your device, to make sure you like it, especially if you are using windows vista... as it likes to "save" the first image you assign to that device.

*Thanks to rabbitgtguy for the Mass Storage Mode tip.
    *hint: Once saved onto the device you can right click both files and hide them.

Out of sight out of mind.
    Last edited by nirvana84jcw; 12-31-08 at 01:41 PM. Reason: Corections
    12-31-08 03:22 AM
    Nice tip... Thanks
    12-31-08 04:56 AM
    Cool, thanks... Worked great
    12-31-08 07:46 AM
    I'm trying this right now and where can I find the "desktop.rar") file.
    12-31-08 08:08 AM
    I like. looks cool. Thanks for the tip.
    12-31-08 08:46 AM
    I'm trying this right now and where can I find the "desktop.rar") file.
    Follow the link he posted.
    12-31-08 08:54 AM
    Doesn't work for me. I copy and pasted the files into my folders respectively.
    12-31-08 09:56 AM
    Nice Idea, good job. Works fine on my Vista.
    12-31-08 10:35 AM
    Doesn't work for me. I copy and pasted the files into my folders respectively.
    When I did it, it also didn't work initially until I renamed the drives. Once renamed, the icons were recognized.
    12-31-08 10:59 AM
    ehh , i'm not too concerned which icon i see when i plug in my storm.
    12-31-08 11:05 AM
    Worked awesome for me. Thanks a lot!

For those that "can't" get it to work. Make sure that you have the Mass Storage mode turned on under the "Memory" menu in the setup on the Storm itself. Otherwise, Windows recognizes my phone as a "Portable Device" and the "Removable Storage" icons for the Storm and SD card DO NOT come up.

Joe
    12-31-08 11:10 AM
    Simply download the file above (named: "desktop.rar") & extract/open then save the contents of the "Device Memory (BLACKBERRY1)" folder into you blackberry1 device drive.

Again, thats open the "Device memory" folder, cut/copy each file and paste into the drive.*
    This part does not make sense to me and I'm pretty sure this is the most important part Can someone please help?
    12-31-08 11:10 AM
    I might have figured it out but my free trial of BitZipper expired and I can't open .rar files, oh well...just a cosmetic thing.
    12-31-08 11:18 AM
    I might have figured it out but my free trial of BitZipper expired and I can't open .rar files, oh well...just a cosmetic thing.
    There are only about five trillion free archive utilities out there. Why would you use shareware? Personally, I like Zip Genius:
    ZipGenius
    12-31-08 11:46 AM

7 zip is all you need...

7-Zip
    12-31-08 11:53 AM
    Very nice tip, thanks
    12-31-08 12:13 PM
    Got it to work, thanks!

Also thanks for the free programs...I was hoping that someone would post a link or 2.
    12-31-08 12:35 PM
    Hey all! This is my first official post and I would like to start off with a simple but NICE option you can use on most hot swappable devices.

When you plug you blackberry into a windows computer you can explorer the files and folders of the device and the memory card in the device.
    Normally looks something like this:
    Make sure that your device Mass Storage Mode is on by doing the following:

Menu>Options>Memory>Mass Storage Mode Support>ON*

Next, you can download this file:

"desktop.rar"
    megaupload com/?d=B3XSN2GH
    (just add the dots, please... rules are rules.. and you know what they say about rules)

Which will make it easy to turn this:

Into this:

Simply download the file above & extract/open then save the contents of the "Device Memory (BLACKBERRY1)" folder into you blackberry1 device drive.

Do not copy and paste the entire folder.
    Like I said before, I don't repeat myself.

Once completed, unplug your blackberry from your pc and reinsert it.

I added an additional icon for the Sandisk memory card. Woot. Just rinse and repeat.

I would recommend viewing the image before saving it on your device, to make sure you like it, especially if you are using windows vista... as it likes to "save" the first image you assign to that device.

*Thanks to rabbitgtguy for the Mass Storage Mode tip.
    *hint: Once saved onto the device you can right click both files and hide them.

Out of sight out of mind.
    very cool...thanks!
    12-31-08 03:43 PM
    I don`t get the same storm icon with Windows XP. Can you attach the icon only.

Thank you for the work....nicely done.
    12-31-08 04:17 PM
    I don`t get the same storm icon with Windows XP. Can you attach the icon only.

Thank you for the work....nicely done.
    I wanted to see if I could duplicate the concerns people were having with XP. I plugged my storm in for the first time on a laptop that doesn't have BBDM installed on it. I was able to load the blackberry device and the icon, however, the media card read as a "portable device". A possible fix, just need the drivers from the BBDM SW.
    12-31-08 04:44 PM
    Thanks! Worked great. Looks nice!
    12-31-08 05:51 PM
    This needs to be moved to tips and tricks
    01-02-09 05:01 PM
    I rendered out a "Telus" branded PNG file, I'm using it for my "Desktop Manager" software shortcut. Though if you want you could use it for this as well.

01-02-09 05:14 PM
    Cool tip. Thanks.
    01-02-09 05:59 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD