This may sound really dumb, but for the life of me I am unable to get the cursor to the beginning of my first sentence when typing an email and making a mistake at the beginning. I can only get the cursor to land about a quarter inch or so away from the beginning of the sentence. This seems to be something with touching near the edge of the screen, and I do not think this is the same as the click issue others have encountered as I am just touching the edge.

Anybody have any advice on how they do this?

Like if you type:

I wilk be able to make it there by 4.

and you want to change the 'k' in 'wilk' to 'l', that is what i am unable to do. I can only get the cursor to say 'be' or 'able' then have to delete back to the k and retype. I kind of wish they had a touchscreen D pad on the keyboard to move the cursor around.
    12-04-08 12:22 PM
    editing mistakes is not too easy on the storm, but you can select single letters, you just have to keep hovering around till you land on it. Sometimes its just faster to retype instead of trying to land the cursor on the right letter. I agree, there needs to be an easy way to edit text.
    12-04-08 12:26 PM
    actually there is an easier way. Hold your finger over the cursor - it will turn into an empty box then you can slide it all over to place it. I reco. increasing the font size a few points until you get the hang of it as it is easier when th efont is bigger.
    12-04-08 12:35 PM
    This works very well except for 2 things....

1) It doesn't jump lines so, you have to click on the line you want to make the correction on, then place your finger on the screen and wait until the solid cursor turns to the outline. Then, still holding your finger on the screen, move it left or right to get to where you want it to be.

2) Due to a glitch, it doesn't work well when trying to edit the URL in the browser. When you go to move the cursor to the left, the whole line of text goes sliding off the screen to the left. Oops.

Also to note, it doesn't work in some 3rd party apps.
    12-04-08 12:52 PM
    This works very well except for 2 things....

1) It doesn't jump lines so, you have to click on the line you want to make the correction on, then place your finger on the screen and wait until the solid cursor turns to the outline. Then, still holding your finger on the screen, move it left or right to get to where you want it to be.

2) Due to a glitch, it doesn't work well when trying to edit the URL in the browser. When you go to move the cursor to the left, the whole line of text goes sliding off the screen to the left. Oops.

Also to note, it doesn't work in some 3rd party apps.
    I dont know about that... I can jump from line to line perfectly fine, just slide the empty box up and down. Also, mine definitely works when editing the URL in the browser. Don't know waht phone you have! lol
    12-04-08 01:00 PM
    I dont know about that... I can jump from line to line perfectly fine, just slide the empty box up and down. Also, mine definitely works when editing the URL in the browser. Don't know waht phone you have! lol
    Well, I stand corrected about going from line to line. To be honest, I never tried to go UP or DOWN...just went left and right...and it doesn't line-wrap....but, you're right...you can go up and down once you're in the outline-cursor mode!

However, I still stand by my statement about the issue with editing the URL in the browser. I just tried it again to see if maybe it got fixed in .75...still does it..although not every time. I type in a bunch of letters for the URL then go into the outline-cursor mode. When I FIRST slide left, it works...however, if I try to go back and forth, the URL will slide left, off the screen. Maybe others can try this but, I've had this problem since Day 1 and have seen other posts on it so, I don't think it's just my phone.
    12-04-08 01:16 PM
    One thing to remember is that you don't have to put your finger on the cursor. You can place it anywhere in the screen and hover until the cursor turns to an empty box... then, with your finger still on the screen, slide it around to where you want to edit. This way you aren't trying to get to the edge of the screen or see what's under your finger. Hope this helps.
    12-04-08 01:20 PM
    yeah I moving up and down as well . . . as for the url . . . . let me test:

here is my experience . . . if the cursor is see through I can move it as expected; If the cursor is still solid blue the text moves left . . . I wonder if that cna be useful
    12-04-08 01:30 PM
    One thing to remember is that you don't have to put your finger on the cursor. You can place it anywhere in the screen and hover until the cursor turns to an empty box... then, with your finger still on the screen, slide it around to where you want to edit. This way you aren't trying to get to the edge of the screen or see what's under your finger. Hope this helps.
    Nice tip . . . just can't place the finger on another link or text box.
    12-04-08 01:31 PM
    However, I still stand by my statement about the issue with editing the URL in the browser. I just tried it again to see if maybe it got fixed in .75...still does it..although not every time. I type in a bunch of letters for the URL then go into the outline-cursor mode. When I FIRST slide left, it works...however, if I try to go back and forth, the URL will slide left, off the screen. Maybe others can try this but, I've had this problem since Day 1 and have seen other posts on it so, I don't think it's just my phone.
    I played around with mine and was able to get it to do the same thing. However, I was able to get it back to normal by going back into editing mode and sliding around some more. I'm not sure if this is a bug, or something to allow you to edit long urls.
    12-04-08 01:33 PM
    thanks for this tip! i was constantly just deleting everything and starting over!
    12-04-08 01:36 PM
    Thanks everybody, these tips really help.
    12-04-08 02:36 PM
    Thanks everybody, these tips really help.
    Yes it has made texting/emailing 1000 times easier!
    12-04-08 03:16 PM
    I have been having these same issues and it gets really frustrating it takes like 5 minutes to write and edit a 4 sentence message. Does anybody know of an app that creates some sort of joy stick to manuver the curser to different spot. I downloaded this browser called opera mini. Here is the link for it if anybody wants to give it a shot.

Click on this link from your BlackBerry to download: http://mini.opera.com/beta/mini.jad?...e&edition=hifi

This browser is pretty cool because it uses the buttons like a jou stick. Example: when the phone is in portrait mode the TY button moves the curser up, the BN button moves the curser down, the DF moves it left, and the JK button moves it right. This is how you navigate through screens and menues. The enter button is like the right button on a computers mouse. It selects things. I liked this because it cuts down on errors due to big fingers.

If anybody knows of a way to get something like this with the regular default browser please let me know.
    Thanks
    12-04-08 03:31 PM
    Sarah---nice tips!
    12-06-08 06:11 AM
    Sarah---nice tips!
    Thank you... And this time they're not pink

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-06-08 10:24 AM
    actually there is an easier way. Hold your finger over the cursor - it will turn into an empty box then you can slide it all over to place it. I reco. increasing the font size a few points until you get the hang of it as it is easier when th efont is bigger.

This used to work well for me. Until I upgraded to .75. Now, not so much.
    12-06-08 10:47 AM
    Nope, not pink, but still nice

Thank you... And this time they're not pink

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-06-08 10:59 AM
    Something I have found to be Much easier when moving the cursor around is to "push it" across the text in a line instead of "dragging it" If you drag it, sometimes your finger gets to the end of the screen before the cursor gets to where you want it.
    I just put my finger behind it, then when it turns I just push it across.
    12-06-08 11:13 AM
    Wow. this really makes fixing mistakes 10x easier.. Great Tip!
    12-06-08 11:14 AM
    I've struggled to go back and correct errors, sometimes being forced to retype multiple sentences. Great tip.
    12-17-08 10:28 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD