I just transferred 4 movies to my storm using the Roxio Media Manager in DM. All 4 movies were converted to mp4 for the storm. They all play just fine and the picture is nice and crystal clear. My only problem is they don't play full screen! There is black at the top and bottom (like widescreen) and I would love to get it full screen.

Is there a way to get the movies to play full screen like the preview that came on the Storm?
    12-23-08 02:33 PM
    i would use the handbrake program.... seems to work
    12-23-08 02:37 PM
    Handbrake!!

Follow this guide : http://forums.crackberry.com/f86/dvd...ctures-107961/
    Last edited by bmcclure937; 12-23-08 at 02:40 PM.
    12-23-08 02:38 PM
    I had the same problem. I used handbrake to convert the videos size but when I loaded them onto my storm they wouldn't play. I just gave up, widescreen is good enough for me
    12-23-08 02:38 PM
    StormUsage, sounds like the dimensions aren't correct for your vieweing them. I suggest doing a search for DVD, Handbrake on these forums. There has be several forums on the issue with lots of valuable information to help. I also use handbrake (free) to convert movies to view correctly on the Storm.
    12-23-08 02:39 PM
    I didn't convert the videos so I don't know what process was used. Another member of the forums converted them and just sent me download links for the 4 movies in mp4 format and I transferred to device.
    12-23-08 02:39 PM
    Do you lose any quality when going to the full screen or do they remain in the HD type quality?

Again the picture quality of these movies is spectacular, just wish it would utilize the full screen of the Storm.
    12-23-08 02:40 PM
    In that case, sounds like the other person converted them with incorrect dimensions. Not much you can do after the fact.
    12-23-08 02:41 PM
    Losing of quality, I haven't. I've recently done Dark Knight and Wall-E and both are full screen and the quality is just as amazing, just easier to view.
    12-23-08 02:42 PM
    In that case, sounds like the other person converted them with incorrect dimensions. Not much you can do after the fact.
    considering the Storm does not have widescreen dimensions, it sounds like the movies were converted properly. i bet if the OP DL's some TV shows, they will play full screen.
    12-23-08 02:51 PM
    considering the Storm does not have widescreen dimensions, it sounds like the movies were converted properly. i bet if the OP DL's some TV shows, they will play full screen.
    So then why is the above poster able to view Dark Knight in full screen and that is one of the movies I put on my device today and it has the black at the top and bottom of the screen?
    12-23-08 02:55 PM
    If you use the Roxio Media Manager integrated with BB Desktop, you can set the movie to encode to full screen. The quality's very good, and it'll convert avi, etc straight to .mp4. Don't need to screw around with cropping the video in Handbrake, etc.

However, you lose quite a bit of the image if you're going from a 2.35:1 video. It'd be much better if the BB media player could zoom to full screen, like another device does...
    12-23-08 02:55 PM
    So then why is the above poster able to view Dark Knight in full screen and that is one of the movies I put on my device today and it has the black at the top and bottom of the screen?
    IDK. 2 possibilities -

1) his copy was ripped for 4:3 screen
    2) does the Storm video player have a "zoom" mode? similar to the Xbox 360 or PSP, zoom mode would fill the screen at the expense of losing the edges of the original video.
    12-23-08 02:58 PM
    That was all a foreign language to me. I did not convert the movies so I don't know what any of that meant above. I simply downloaded the movies which were already coverted by another member of these forums and loaded onto the storm.

Are you guys saying he didn't convert correctly? Perhaps he converted a Wide Screen version of the movie instead of the regular version? Would that be a possibility?
    12-23-08 02:59 PM
    He's probably cropping off the ends of the image so that it becomes a 4x3 image instead of a 16x9 or wider. This can be done in handbrake or other programs.
    12-23-08 02:59 PM
    IDK. 2 possibilities -

1) his copy was ripped for 4:3 screen
    2) does the Storm video player have a "zoom" mode? similar to the Xbox 360 or PSP, zoom mode would fill the screen at the expense of losing the edges of the original video.
    I don't believe so.
    12-23-08 03:00 PM
    Yes, Durango is correct. The ends of image were cropped to get the 4x3 image. The black bars along the top and bottom of the video were a distraction for me. My main reason I did the conversion to 4x3 and see it full screen so I wouldn't have to hold the storm up close to my face to view the movie, eye sight isn't what is used to be.
    12-23-08 03:02 PM
    I'm telling you, if you're not familiar with encoding video and don't understand things like aspect ratio, just use BB Desktop Media Manager to encode it to full screen. ****, I've been encoding video for *years* and it's a lot easier, when doing FS for Storm, to just drop the file into Media Manager and let it do the resizing.
    12-23-08 03:05 PM
    You might want to give SUPER� a try. It is a very versatile converter app. all you do is select the container file type(mp4, etc.) and it selects the best codec to do the conversion. You can still tweak it to fit the screen to your liking. Generally, it's best to preserve the aspect ratio so as to not introduce any distortion. For full screen DVD, 480 X 320 works good and almost fills the Storm's screen completely. I also change the audio sampling rate to 44.1KHz to insure universal playability. You'll have to Google it because I'm not "allowed" to post a hyperlink yet.
    12-23-08 04:05 PM
    I converted Black hawk down twice, once at the correct aspect ratio and once full screen. The original with black bars is by far the best, the other just squashed it all up leaving everyone seven feet tall, lol.

Tv will be fine but you'll always have some picture trade off trying to view movies full screen. The Storms screen just ain't the right shape!
    12-23-08 05:04 PM
    Movies will either be in 4:3(320x240 native), or 16:9... you can't watch a 16:9 movie in 4:3(full).. it will look distorted or cut off the picture.

Look for non-widescreen versions of your videos.
    12-23-08 05:31 PM
    Movies will either be in 4:3(320x240 native), or 16:9... you can't watch a 16:9 movie in 4:3(full).. it will look distorted or cut off the picture.

Look for non-widescreen versions of your videos.
    12-23-08 05:49 PM
    Weird, I use a program called Xilisoft Video Converter and can convert almost any different kinds of videos and its full screen on my storm. I convert mine into Ipod video format (640x480) and all i have to say is wow!!! Videos look soo nice and clean and yes they are in 640x480 (from what my computer says) unless my storm downgrades them to a lower resolution. They are in mp4 format.
    12-23-08 05:52 PM
    Here are some pics of the phone with the vids and the Zack and Miri movie. Pics were taken by an LG Dare phone, man I wish the BB Storm took pics like this . Reason why it looks weird in a way its because the vid was playin but if you see the colors and and parts of the vid quality, it looks really good.

Also audio quality sounds really good (depending a lot on the movie sound quality but if its good then you dont have to worry). Sample rate says its 44100 with a bit rate of 80.
    Last edited by SVTPERFORMANCE01; 12-23-08 at 07:00 PM.
    12-23-08 06:41 PM
    I'm telling you, if you're not familiar with encoding video and don't understand things like aspect ratio, just use BB Desktop Media Manager to encode it to full screen. ****, I've been encoding video for *years* and it's a lot easier, when doing FS for Storm, to just drop the file into Media Manager and let it do the resizing.
    Do you have it Crop or Resize the picture through media manager? Also, choose "Best" quality, or "Good" Quality?
    12-24-08 07:52 AM
26 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD