I was under the impression that you can use the storm as a router, for example on your laptop to pick up a wireless signal. If I am mistaken I am sorry, I just remember hearing that somewhere I believe at the verizon store. I have a housing fair, they have wireless internet but are not sure if it will work or be available. I would really like to make sure I have a backup if needed, thanks.
    02-25-09 07:46 PM
    The Storms do not come with a WI-FI card.
    02-25-09 07:48 PM
    I was under the impression that you can use the storm as a router, for example on your laptop to pick up a wireless signal. If I am mistaken I am sorry, I just remember hearing that somewhere I believe at the verizon store. I have a housing fair, they have wireless internet but are not sure if it will work or be available. I would really like to make sure I have a backup if needed, thanks.

The Storm can not be used as a wireless router, however you can tether it to a laptop and access the internet.
    02-25-09 07:53 PM
    The Storm can not be used as a wireless router, however you can tether it to a laptop and access the internet.
    Off the top of your head, is there a link/thread that explains this process?

Much appreciated!
    02-25-09 07:56 PM
    try looking in forum of tetherberry and see if that is what you want.
    02-25-09 08:09 PM
    Tetherberry works great for me
    02-25-09 08:14 PM
    try looking in forum of tetherberry and see if that is what you want.
    Or just signing up for the appropriate data plan and having Verizon explain setting it up for you?

At least then you wont be violating your contract.
    02-25-09 08:14 PM
    how is using tetherberry violating your contract? If an APP allows you do to something that the phone can do then its just a matter of symantics.
    02-25-09 08:23 PM
    Off the top of your head, is there a link/thread that explains this process?

Much appreciated!
    You got two CDs with your Storm. Insert the one that says Verizon Wireless Access Manager. You have to have an insert or something in your box that explains this.
    02-25-09 08:36 PM
    TetherBerry rocks! Beta testing it right now and its pretty solid. I don't know that I would use as a primary home connection though. Check out the thread in the 3rd party apps board

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-25-09 08:36 PM
    All you do is set up your laptop to connect to the internet using a dial up connection, select your Blackberry as your modem (desktop manager must be running), and connect away. OK there are a couple of minor details left out but you get the idea.
    And there is no violation of anything anywhere; all you are doing is using MB that is already included in a data plan that you've subscribed to. As a TELUS employee who knows, I would suggest you ensure you have a data plan and are not paying per use.
    Last edited by rich97; 02-25-09 at 08:54 PM.
    02-25-09 08:37 PM
    Thanks a lot the information is much appreciated. Ill have to check out tetherberry as well. Rich97 thanks I am going to try that out!! MT I cannot find that CD unfortunately, and Rich I tried adding the phone as a model, my computer did not recognize any new modems. I had Dm running, went to control panel, modem options.. as I said the computer did not find the device. Now on to tetherberry I guess.
    Last edited by BrettIwana; 02-25-09 at 08:54 PM.
    02-25-09 08:42 PM
    How do you tether it to your lap top?
    02-26-09 10:28 PM
    I saw a wireless router somewhere not too long ago that would allow you to hook up several computers to the blackberry wirelessly and access the internet. Is that what you are looking for? I'll have to see if I can find it again, but it seems like it was a couple hundred bucks.

After reading your post again I realized it's not really what you want to do, but here's the router I was talking about anyway.

CTR350 Mobile Broadband Router | Cradlepoint Technology
    Last edited by ChuckH0308; 02-26-09 at 10:48 PM. Reason: edit
    02-26-09 10:34 PM
    You can tether the Storm to your computer wirelessly if your laptop has bluetooth. You can use the blutooth to tether instead of a USB cable.
    02-27-09 09:44 AM
    Either way you do this it should not be used as a primary connection. You only get 5GB of downloads and everytime you get a phone call it will boot you off the internet. If you can't find the cd you can download the program from vzam.net or stop into a Verizon store and they should have them on hand.
    Last edited by Seraph08; 02-27-09 at 10:01 AM.
    02-27-09 09:57 AM
    Right - so it acts as a MoDem, but it can't be a Router.

02-27-09 10:48 AM
    how is using tetherberry violating your contract? If an APP allows you do to something that the phone can do then its just a matter of symantics.
    Read the TOS. It is against TOS to tether without a broadband connect plan (on Verizon). Taken right from VZW Blackberry plans:

These VZEmail plans cannot be used: (1) for access to the Internet, intranets, or other data networks except as the device�s native applications and capabilities permit, unless you subscribe to BroadbandAccess Connect; or (2) for any applications that tether your device to laptops or personal computers other than for use of the Wireless Sync or the BlackBerry solution, unless you subscribe to BroadbandAccess Connect.
    02-27-09 11:32 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD