I have storm 9530 and my device memory is about maxed. The memory on my media card is not really being used. how do I transfer some of the applications to my memory card?

jennifer
    03-06-09 03:15 PM
    You can't.
    03-06-09 03:24 PM
    this might sound dumb, but how does the memory card get used? there is 7g available on it. Do I have to uninstall some of my applications?
    03-06-09 03:28 PM
    it sounds dumb because it is dumb... and the really sad part, there's no way around it.
    As of now the apps are unable to be saved to the media card. If they change that then great if they don't then we are all screwed.

Movies and videos can be saved on the card. thats all I know of that can be put there.
    03-06-09 03:42 PM
    You can't install applications on the memory card. You can put pictures taken with the camera on there, music files for the media player, and things of that nature, just not apps.

Apps MUST go into a special reserved 128MB of space, and there is NO getting around this. Pretty much everyone keeps hoping that some day RIM will change this, but until they do, if they ever do, the situation is as I described already.
    03-06-09 03:43 PM
    well that stinks..thanks for educating me :0)
    03-06-09 03:49 PM
    There are some programs out there that will utilize the memory card in addition to the phone memory. I use Epocrates (medical program) and it installs part of the program on the phone mem and part on the SIM card. It is all in the programming. The phone will allow it.
    03-07-09 05:52 AM
    Does anyone think this issue will be resolved before the release of appworld?
    03-07-09 08:19 AM
    In the desktop world, the OS can use pagefile on the hard drive to free up some memories. So it is entirely possible to do the same on the mobile phone.

With that being said, memories are cheap in these days and age. Therefore, RIM should look into adding more app memories in their next version of Storm. I will say at least 1GB, but preferably 2GB.
    03-07-09 08:35 AM
    Amazing how some questions, such as this one, are thought of (referring to myself) yet not asked or in my case even searched for. I saw the posting title and thought, "now I'll know the answer". Not having had any memory shortage issues I never pursued searching CrackBerry for a posting.

Thanks to both the original poster and for those providing the answers.
    03-07-09 08:59 AM
    Does anyone think this issue will be resolved before the release of appworld?
    Nope. Its in the FAQ on the appworld launch site that they will not be changing it.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-07-09 09:25 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD