I'm asking this question for a friend since I already have a Storm.

I think he upgraded his phone in Nov or Dec to an LG Dare when it was time for his upgrade. He was hesitant to go with a Storm because he didn't want to pay the extra money a month for a BB plan because he's going to school and working part time these days. Long story short, I think he totally gets how much better a Storm would be than his Dare and wants to switch to it, but not for $550 or whatever they're asking without the 2 yr upgrade. He's went into a Verizon store and the guy said he couldn't get it for $199 and then he said he'd have better luck calling Verizon on the phone. He called and no luck there. He's not very persistent like me so I offered to call as him.

What have others successfully done to "convince" Verizon to sell them the Storm for $199 even if they're a few a few months into their upgrade with a previously purchased new phone? Should I ask for retentions? What would be the best route to go. I've done this in the past when I had my phone with Sprint by being nice and not a ***** and it's paid off with phone upgrades, perks, and not paying that dreaded $200 Sprint ETF when I switched to Verizon to get a Storm. Any advice would be appreciated, thanks!
    03-14-09 11:50 AM
    Is he by chance on a family plan that has a line due for an upgrade? I transferred my number to the main line and got the Storm for $99 In January despite being not being due for an upgrade on my original line until April. I also came from the Dare and it's a wholeeee different world.
    03-14-09 11:53 AM
    Unfortunately, no. They told him he'd have to get another line or wait until he's supposed to get a new phone. I don't think he knew how to talk to the rep and just simply asked if he could and then when they said no dropped it. I mean Verizon is set to make $30 more or more off him getting the plan so. Where there's a will, there's a way.
    03-14-09 12:00 PM
    Didn't work for me. I early upgraded to a Dare in Sept last year and got an earlybird for my Mom as well. When I tried the exact same line of reasoning for the Storm, it failed miserably both on the phone (tried 3 times!) and in the store. Unless I got reps who didn't care, I'm guessing Verizon is keeping a tight reign on the Storm upgrades. Good luck though, if he finds a line of thought (BS!) that works, let us know.
    03-14-09 12:21 PM
    Have him sell his Dare on eBay and buy the storm.

It is always good to be an informed consumer before engaging into long term contracts.

This time your friend lost out. Verizon probably won't and should not break his contract. Sorry to be blunt.
    03-14-09 12:21 PM
    Just sell the dare on ebay and use that money towards the price of the Storm and it will come close to costing the 199. Best chance you have
    03-14-09 12:22 PM
    I'm asking this question for a friend since I already have a Storm.

I think he upgraded his phone in Nov or Dec to an LG Dare when it was time for his upgrade. He was hesitant to go with a Storm because he didn't want to pay the extra money a month for a BB plan because he's going to school and working part time these days. Long story short, I think he totally gets how much better a Storm would be than his Dare and wants to switch to it, but not for $550 or whatever they're asking without the 2 yr upgrade. He's went into a Verizon store and the guy said he couldn't get it for $199 and then he said he'd have better luck calling Verizon on the phone. He called and no luck there. He's not very persistent like me so I offered to call as him.

What have others successfully done to "convince" Verizon to sell them the Storm for $199 even if they're a few a few months into their upgrade with a previously purchased new phone? Should I ask for retentions? What would be the best route to go. I've done this in the past when I had my phone with Sprint by being nice and not a ***** and it's paid off with phone upgrades, perks, and not paying that dreaded $200 Sprint ETF when I switched to Verizon to get a Storm. Any advice would be appreciated, thanks!

everytime i have ever had a problem with any company, i have always called the highest person up i can possibly reach. it may take 100's of non returned calls (do not send emails to corporate big wigs, they get filtered out) hours of sweat blood and tears, but when you finally get someone high up in a company on the phone tell them that your dissatisfied with all the people you have spoken with prior ( give exact names, dates and times so they can verify you have already tried to handle this on your own). try to be as pissed off as possible and explain no one has helped you. you should recieve a call of from a regional manager soon thereafter. corporate big wigs are busy and if you get to talk to them it makes his underling look bad. he'll make sure you get what you want. furthermore if the corporate person you speak with doesnt help you; skip 1 level of command and get in touch with his/her bosses boss, be far more respectful with this person but still be pissed. this method has never failed me once, but like i said, its not overnight.....

also i can not immediately find these numbers for you but here is a list of names with in verizon whom you should look to talk with.
    do not go call the top guys right from the get go... this will get you know where... look at these peoples job titles and try to contact the one that would deal with your problem

Verizon | Verizon Executives
    03-14-09 12:42 PM
    No way around it. Your friend will have to pay full price for it. Your better off finding one on ebay or online.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-14-09 12:44 PM
    i did it. i upgraded from my lg env2 that i had gotten in august... i got my storm for less than $199 though because the env2 sucks. but it wasn't easy. i got no's the first month of calling (calling a couple times a week and arguing for at least a good 30 minutes) finally two months later i got the right person and upgraded to a storm without extending my contract and was even able to have it billed to my account. good luck though.. where there is a will there is a way but it's a huge pain in the arse...
    03-14-09 12:47 PM
    Here is what to do. Have him call Verizon and tell them he wants to cancel due to the fact the phone is so terrible. Tell them you are going to go to ATT and get an IPhone but you just might stay with Verizon if they switch the LG out for a storm! Threatening to cancel usually works every time.
    03-14-09 12:50 PM
    I've found that being polite gets you what you want a lot more than "act all pissed off" as several posts above me have suggested.
    03-14-09 12:58 PM
    I agree with Bettermost

The secret is to be persistent, believe you me, make enough calls to complain and they will eventually give up and upgrade him.
    Tell him to call and complain about how the dare sucks.... tell him not to give up when they tell him nobody has the authority to upgrade him, i started out with a motorola q, went to the i760 without paying, to a xv6800 aslo free and got the storm on release day also for free.

You are gonna get a lot of people here that will tell you they know the head rep. for this area and that area and that it will never happen.

Trust me, they want to keep you.

NOW START CALLING.
    03-14-09 01:09 PM
    i upgraded my voyager to the Storm in Dec 08 and i had about about another years to go before my term was over. what i did was.. I called up verizon and spoke with a rep and i explained to them that i am interested in the new BB Storm but my contract wasnt up yet. they told me that i have to purchase the phone at full retail price. Therefore, i said i am willing to extend my contract another 2years if verizon can allow me to purchase the storm with the discounted price..without hestiation, they noted down on my account and i paid 199.99 for the storm and they extended my contract...make sure you do it over the phone and that a manager writes on ur account.
    03-14-09 01:19 PM
    So how true this is one of the VZW reps that post here would have to confirm.

I called a year or so ago to upgrade my 8703e to the 8330 after only 6 months of the new contract. After being shot down a few times in the store and on the phone I finally was going to buckle and add a line, pay the extra $10 a month for a year just to have the curve. When I called I said my BES admins were not supporting the 8703 anymore and I desperately needed the curve for my job. The rep used some kind of override to upgrade it without extending my contract. Maybe the line of I now need it to work will add some persuasion. Also I did this as the first of the month and the rep told me something along the lines as she could use her override and upgrade my phone without extending the contract. Now I work in customer service too and maybe VZW reps have a monthly allowance of these overrides they can use to break the traditional rules.

I don't know how well it would work but I would say, "need it for work" and try calling at the beginning of the month in case they do have an allowance of override options.
    03-14-09 01:33 PM
    So how true this is one of the VZW reps that post here would have to confirm.

I called a year or so ago to upgrade my 8703e to the 8330 after only 6 months of the new contract. After being shot down a few times in the store and on the phone I finally was going to buckle and add a line, pay the extra $10 a month for a year just to have the curve. When I called I said my BES admins were not supporting the 8703 anymore and I desperately needed the curve for my job. The rep used some kind of override to upgrade it without extending my contract. Maybe the line of I now need it to work will add some persuasion. Also I did this as the first of the month and the rep told me something along the lines as she could use her override and upgrade my phone without extending the contract. Now I work in customer service too and maybe VZW reps have a monthly allowance of these overrides they can use to break the traditional rules.

I don't know how well it would work but I would say, "need it for work" and try calling at the beginning of the month in case they do have an allowance of override options.
    Probably more successful on BES than BIS, but you could always pay for BES for a month or two...
    03-14-09 01:41 PM
    Thanks for all the advice. I'll try a mix of the suggestions when I call tomorrow.
    Last edited by kidqwik; 03-14-09 at 09:51 PM.
    03-14-09 09:47 PM
    I just upgraded to the Storm last week and they only charged me ~$150 for the actual phone.
    03-14-09 11:45 PM
    I upgraded to 4 phones this year and I had to buy the Storm at full retail because I used up my New Every 2 on the first phone...tried every possible way to get discounts but no...had to pay full retail for each one. No contract though =)

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-14-09 11:49 PM
    Here is what to do. Have him call Verizon and tell them he wants to cancel due to the fact the phone is so terrible. Tell them you are going to go to ATT and get an IPhone but you just might stay with Verizon if they switch the LG out for a storm! Threatening to cancel usually works every time.
    Thats what I did.. They gave me the $199 upgrade, by one get one BB special, and they gave me my "New every 2 $100 Credit" so I paid $99 for the 2 Blackberry Storms.
    03-15-09 07:35 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD