Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    58 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Question How to clear the [unread] message count icon?

My unread messages icon is not working properly (running Bell .76 on my VWZ 9530)

Up until yesterday, it kept displaying 1 email unread, not that has grown to 4.
    I've cleared my desktop/gmail/sms screens, and also disabled and re-enabled this feature but I cannot figure out what's wrong.

Thoughts?
    Super Bad

Global Posts
    11,937 Global Posts

Go into message, highlight the most recent date line, press menu and choose mark all prior read.

You could also try a battery pull.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    608 Global Posts
    PIN
    3048984c

Also check saved messages.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    644 Global Posts

I had this problem too with "phantom" messages. Unread would say 3 new email messages mean while there were no new messages. What I did was highlight the latest date in my email box (the main mail box), press the Blackberry menu key and select "Delete Prior". This will wipe out all of your current emails in your main mailbox.

I did this and everything went back to normal.
    CrackBerry Newbie

I have this problem at times too... It'll show a new msg notification when there's no new msg. If you turn off the phone and turn it back on using the red call end button, it'll clear it most times and it's a lot quicker than doing a battery pull.
    CrackBerry Abuser

are you talking about the "Message" icon? if so by default it will keep count of missed calls and unless you turn that off, you'll have to open each one to scratch it off the list.

you can disable it in the phone menu>options>call logging

if this isn't what you mean...nvm
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    58 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #7  

Lightbulb Figured it out...

Just figured out what happened...

Had to manually clear the missed calls in my call log (which turns the icon from yellow to white).

I've deployed the "Desktop" icon workaround to our devices (done in BES), which segregates business email.

Before, they would go to the "catch all" folder which I've since hidden, (that folder groups together all messages including phone calls, so whenever I used to "mark all as read", it would also clear the call log, which now has to be done manually.

Thanks for all the replies,
    Paul
    CrackBerry Abuser

Ya its just missed calls 90% of the time.
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    3,030 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by PezRadar View Post
    Ya its just missed calls 90% of the time.
    I've found that to be very true.

Welcome aboard!
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    1,626 Global Posts

Welcome to CB.
    Life is to short smile.
    CrackBerry Newbie

This happened to my BB Storm after a downloaded upgrade. I had an envelope showing 1 unread message that I could not find in my email or sms/mms folders.
    Finally fixed it after faffing about by 'showing all' the folders in my home page and this revealed that in the folder titled "Messages" (that I had previously hidden from view) I had a message confirming the upgrade from Blackberry support services. This was the unread message and thankfully the envelope icon dissappeared after its opening.
    Last edited by JagreenLern; 06-10-2009 at 09:08 AM.
    CrackBerry Addict

if you go into Messages and type u it will display all unread messages. Will this work for all notification icon generating things, or just for things that would be listed in the Messages folder anyway? It's been a long time since I had an unfindable new message, but was wondering if it would work.
    CrackBerry Newbie

Default How to clear the [unread] message count icon?

after pulling the battery and doing everything recommended under a Google search... I did : alt-s while in the message list and found the unread SMS messages and deleted them. this resolved the message counter issue.
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    4,415 Global Posts

wow ummmm, wow a 10 month and 4 month old thread!
    5.0.0.320 > 5.0.0.428 > 5.0.0.451 > 5.0.0.497 > 5.0.0.509 > 5.0.0.517
    Have questions on StormSlider/BerrySlider? StormSlider FAQs/Problems
    Have questions on UltimateLock? Ultimate Lock FAQs
    Epic Apps Beta / Support Forums
    Banned

Global Posts
    8,138 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ramadaam View Post
    after pulling the battery and doing everything recommended under a Google search... I did : alt-s while in the message list and found the unread SMS messages and deleted them. this resolved the message counter issue.
    except we don't have that keypad shortcut...since we're storm users...and don't have an actual keypad...but glad it worked for you
    CrackBerry Newbie

Have the same issue. All this after the last BB OS push 3 days ago. I've deleted ALL the SMSs, did an ALT-S just to make sure, went thru all message folders etc. There is nothing unread. Did a battery pull, which cleared up another issue of phantom ringtone playing, and that did take the unread SMS count from a constant 2, to 1.
    Hmm new OS. Sure doesn't sound like a user issue to me...
    CrackBerry Master

Global Posts
    1,388 Global Posts

My girlfriend is having the same type of issue, but with BBM notifications.
    It says she has two unread BBM conversations and when she goes into it there is no one talking to her.

Ive tried countless battery pulls,
    Ive looked through all message folders to see if any messages were unread,
    Ive deleted messages,
    Ive checked BBM and BBM options countless times,
    Ive called tech support:

They said do a battery pull and then when I said I have, they said that I need to upgrade my software (shes running telus' official .122) so there is no upgrade unless I got to an unofficial and my girlfriend doesnt want to do that and he also said I have to update BBM to its new version and I checked and my girlfriend has the new version (I was thinking in my head 'new version I didnt see anything on crackberry about a new version!!!')
    So like always calling in was pointless.

Any ideas on how I can fix this ?
    It seems the only option would be to re-load BBM or even the OS and thats not somthing I want to do.
    You Just Wasted 5 Seconds Of Your Life Reading This Signature, How Do You Feel ???
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    332 Global Posts
    PIN
    head

i too would welcome an answer.
    CrackBerry User

ok. I dont want all of my emails and facebook notifications and sms's. going into my messages indicator. I only want calls. How do I do this? IT IS DRIVING ME NUTS!
    A dream is a wish your heart makes!
    CrackBerry User

BTW i just changed my profile, I have a Tour, not a Storm, (thank God)
    A dream is a wish your heart makes!
    CrackBerry Newbie

This one worked for me. Took me to a Blackberry Registration email. Opened it and closed it and the email count went down to zero.

Thanks!
    CrackBerry Newbie

Re what I mean by this one: "if you go into Messages and type u it will display all unread messages". I went into my email folder and typed "u". (Took me to a Blackberry Registration email. Opened it and closed it and the email count went down to zero.)

Regards