I just called verizon and told them I was going to Paris in a few weeks and gave them the numbers off the back of my SIM card - they told me that they enabled my SIM card capabilities and then I updated roaming via *228 - now how can I check that this actually unlocked my phone?

ps - just unlocking my 9530 so I can ebay it for more and get the 9630 when it comes out
    06-29-09 03:21 PM
    Honestly if you have a friend on ATT or T-Mobile ask them to pop out their SIM card and put it into your storm (you probably wanna put your network prefrence to manual etc before doing this.

Thats a sure fire way to know for sure.

Im not sure if just attempting to roam onto T-mobile or ATT would work once the SIM is unlocked as I have not done that to mine yet though I assume it would not work.

Someone correct me if I am wrong?
    06-29-09 03:30 PM
    They enabled your sim, they did not unlock your phone. to unlock your phone you need to tell them you are going to use a 3rd party sim, they will ask you to provide your esn and Imeid then they would walk you through unlocking the phone by entering a special code.
    06-29-09 03:38 PM
    If you want the unlock code for your sim call the Global Services department
    06-29-09 03:39 PM
    they can disabled you sim card security, but the phone can be unlock only with a special code using the phone IMEI or ESN.
    06-29-09 04:06 PM
    To check if your SIM has been unlocked:
    Options>Advanced>Sim Card
    Top line should read - SIM Card Security Disabled
    Next line should read: ID and your number
    06-29-09 05:41 PM
    Sounds like they just added global plan to your account. Better go check befor you get your next bill
    06-29-09 06:06 PM
    They enabled your sim, they did not unlock your phone. to unlock your phone you need to tell them you are going to use a 3rd party sim, they will ask you to provide your esn and Imeid then they would walk you through unlocking the phone by entering a special code.
    thanks i just called them and did that over the phone - i also made sure that they arent going to charge me the ridiculous $65/month for the overseas rates

thanks guys
    06-29-09 08:28 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD