Try it out... On some apps you can hold esc for 2 or 3 seconds to close them instead of menu>close

It doesn't work for every application.

Works for:
    Viigo
    Media
    Facebook
    Youtube
    Wall Street Journal Mobile (Adjust settings)

Doesn't work for:
    Google Maps

More to come. Let me know what you think.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Last edited by wc4482; 12-10-08 at 10:04 AM.
    12-10-08 09:42 AM
    Menu>close (or exit) works for every app.

Also for you n00bz out there hitting the red end key does NOT close your apps. It only sends them to the background. I can't count how many times I've seen a month old BlackBerry that is doing the incessant hourglass just because every single app ever used is still open.
    12-10-08 09:45 AM
    It will work with WSJ if you deselect 'Close sends app to background' in settings>display. It will automatically ask if you want to close the WSJ app as opposed to sending it to the background.
    12-10-08 09:46 AM

Also for you n00bz out there hitting the red end key does NOT close your apps. It only sends them to the background. I can't count how many times I've seen a month old BlackBerry that is doing the incessant hourglass just because every single app ever used is still open.
    The point of my post is a SHORTCUT to menu > close, because that takes too long and is annoying.

Hold down the escape button for two or three seconds and it will do the same as menu > close for select apps

12-10-08 10:00 AM
    So let me get this right, menu > close takes too long, so a 2-3
    second button press is quicker?

12-10-08 10:08 AM
    So let me get this right, menu > close takes too long, so a 2-3
    second button press is quicker?

are you kidding? take it easy... no need to discourage useful posts.

I didn't know of this shortcut... now I do.
    Thanks for the input wc4482.
    12-10-08 10:47 AM
    Definitely a useful post. With my large fingers, this is easier than trying to scroll and hit the close button in the bottom corner.
    12-10-08 10:51 AM

+1. May take just as long but seems more efficient. Thanks for the tip!
    12-10-08 10:51 AM

+2.... I found it annoying that I had to access the menu then scroll to Exit or Close just to quit an application.
    12-10-08 10:54 AM

Agreed, this is a good tip, especially if you're moving. Much easier to hold down a button than work the menu.

aalqadaffi, seek anger management!
    12-10-08 11:01 AM
    I use tha back button to close out of everything, just hit "back back back back" and it closes the application. Im going to try to hold it down next time.
    12-10-08 11:20 AM
    The Escape key trick does not work for every single app. Instago for example, will not close no matter how long you hold down the escape key. And no, I don't have any of the auto-signin or auto-load options enabled. I would have to do some more testing, but I suspect the escape key trick only works if there is a "Close" option on the BB menu. If it's "Exit" or "Quit" it may or may not work. Again, this is just my running hypothesis, it needs considerably more testing to say it is or isn't true.
    12-10-08 11:33 AM

So, how do you know which apps are still running in the background? With my old phone I had a button for that!
    12-10-08 12:37 PM
    So, how do you know which apps are still running in the background? With my old phone I had a button for that!
    hold down the BB button - it will open the app switcher showing you what is running.
    12-10-08 12:40 PM
    Its not 2-3 three seconds. People need to understand how long a second is, and that you DON'T start counting on one. You actually start counting on zero. Its only barely 1 sec. to hold the button.
    12-10-08 02:43 PM
    People need to understand how long a second is, and that you DON'T start counting on one. You actually start counting on zero.

Funny stuff.
    12-10-08 02:52 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD