Ok here goes.
    If this has been answered before please accept my appologies thanks...

I have a storm unlocked to AT&T. Everything works great. All service books are loaded correctly and APN Settings are Correct. I am running Windows XP on a Samsung NC10 Netbook. I have followed the settings for this instruction and I have. (please note that I also have 8310 unlocked to AT&T and I have no problems connecting) so I am not sure what is going on. Also I am running Blackberry desktop manager 4.7 english w/media

Here are the instructions:
    Using Blackberry as a modem

Verify that you have the Desktop Manager version 4.2 or greater and the software bundle that came with the handheld installed on your computer.

Query the modem, using the modems properties: (This works and I get the correct results)
    1 Click Start, Settings, Control Panel.
    2 Double-click on Phone and modem options.
    3 Click on the Modems tab.
    4 Left-click on the modem installed above. (Standard Modem or Standard Modem over Bluetooth)
    5 Click Properties.
    6 Click the Diagnostics tab.
    7 Click Query Modem.
    8 If dialog shows in the empty box, the modem is responding, then continue with the below steps. Otherwise contact WDS Tier III.
    9 Click the Advanced tab.
    10 Check the Extra Initialization Command feild and ensure it is correct.

Enter the initialization command:

1 From your computer, click Start.
    2 Click Control Panel.
    3 Click Phone and Modem Options.
    4 Click the Modems tab.
    5 Scroll to Standard Modem or Bluetooth modem.
    6 Click Properties.
    7 Click the Advanced tab.
    8 In the Extra Initialization Command field, enter the following:

IMPORTANT SPECIAL CONFIGURATION STEP
    Add only ONE of the following Extra initialization commands with the appropriate carrier specific command:

TMOBILE USA
    +cgdcont=1,"IP","wap.voicestream.com"

Rogers Users
    +cgdcont=1,"IP","internet.com"

Cingular Blue/AT&T
    +cgdcont=1,"IP","WAP.CINGULAR"

Cingular Orange
    +cgdcont=1,"IP","ISP.CINGULAR"

UK Vodafone
    +cgdcont=1,"IP","internet"

Verizon - Keep blank
    Nextel/Telus iDEN (untested) - Keep blank
    Sprint/Bell Mobility CDMA (untested) - Keep blank

Create dial-up networking :

1 From your computer, click Start, Settings, Control Panel, then Network Connections.
    2 Click Create a new connection, then Next.
    3 Select Connect to Internet.
    4 Select Set up my connection manually.
    5 Select Connect using a dial-up modem.
    6 Select the Standard Modem,or Bluetooth Modem then Next.
    7 Enter 9530 Cingular as the ISP Name.
    8 Enter *99# as the Phone number.
    9 Click Next.
    10 IN the User name and Password fields enter (user = WAP.CINGULAR.COM) (Password = CINGULAR1)
    11 Deselect all the optional check boxes in the bottom portion of this window.
    12 To create the connection click Finish.
    13 In the Connect window click Properties.
    14 In the Properties window, verify that Modem chosen appears beneath the Connect using heading, then click Configure.
    15 In the Modem Configuration window, clear the Enable hardware flow control check box and make sure none of the other check boxes are selected. Click OK. In the Properties window, click OK.
    16 In the Connect window, select Save this user name and password for the following users.
    17 Select the appropriate option. (All users Selected)
    18 Confirm that the BlackBerry Desktop Manager is running. (For Tethered it is but for BT it is not needed)
    *IMPORTANT: BlackBerry Desktop Manager must be running, or error 692 will appear during the dial up attempt. (i have 1 connection set for the standard modem, usb cable, & 1 connection set for the standard modem over bluetooth and have no problems getting a connection or connecting to desktop manager with the 8310 curve tethered )
    19 Open the web browser and navigate to any website to test the connection.

If the laptop/PC connects but Internet Explorer does not, follow these steps: (NOT USED FOR ATT)

1 From Internet Explorer, click Tools, then Internet Options....
    2 Click the Connections tab.
    3 From Dial-up and Virtual Private Network settings, select T-Mobile.
    4 Click Set Default.
    5 Select Dial whenever a network connection is not present.
    6 Click OK.
    7 Click OK again.

I keep getting the 692 Error "there wasa hardware failure in the modem (or other connecting device) and I cant figure what is wrong. Am I missing a certain driver that is not part of the desktop manager 4.7 file?

Any suggestions. I am kinda new to this but have enough knowledge to be dangerouse haha. Please not that all my settings are in RED in the instructions for refference. Thanks for any help I can get. I just dont wat to carry 2 phones and swap sim cards every time I travel. I would love it all to run on the Storm on AT&T.
    Last edited by opcnc; 04-22-09 at 05:47 PM.
    04-22-09 05:42 PM
    I am having issues tethering also. but I am on T-mobile. the error i get is 678. Using pdanet works fine, but i dont wanna pay for something i *should* be able to set up myself. -.-;
    Anyhow, pdanet installs an app to the phone and an app to the pc, which leads me to think that there may be some tweaking needed on the phone itself that we are not aware of.

If i find a solution i will report back.

cheers!
    04-28-09 09:07 AM
    Same problem on my T-Mobile Storm, works perfectly with my old 8120 though. Argh. Frustrating.
    05-06-09 10:06 AM
    Dang, been browsing the forums and google, and it seems like no section has solved this situation for an unlocked Storm on T-mobile
    06-13-09 06:12 PM
    That's Verizon way of getting yall back for unlocking the phone.
    06-13-09 08:23 PM
    will i be charged any extra fees from att if i do this?
    07-14-09 06:50 PM
    will i be charged any extra fees from att if i do this?
    you cant do this. that was the whole point of this thread. but if you could, then yes at&t would charge you for it.
    07-14-09 07:40 PM
    hehe Jus makin sure cuz the thread gives instructions for Att also. If anyone with Att has tried it please let me know.
    07-16-09 06:46 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD