I'm in St Lucia and when I turn on my blackberry down here I get the SOS in red where the network is, and SIM card rejected. I've done restarts, reboots and battery pulls... not sure what else I can do? I checked and I have global networks enabled. It also recognizes the name of the mobile network down here "Digicell." Any other thoughts on what I can do to fix this?
    02-23-09 07:57 AM
    I'm in St Lucia and when I turn on my blackberry down here I get the SOS in red where the network is, and SIM card rejected. I've done restarts, reboots and battery pulls... not sure what else I can do? I checked and I have global networks enabled. It also recognizes the name of the mobile network down here "Digicell." Any other thoughts on what I can do to fix this?
    Try switching from Global to GSM.
    02-23-09 08:03 AM
    You did setup your plan with VzW Global before you left or you did unlock the phone and using another carriers Sim, correct?
    02-23-09 08:18 AM
    I'm with Telus in Canada. Bought the phone from them.
    02-23-09 01:01 PM
    I think Ultrafied meant: Did you speak with Telus before going to St Lucia to either:
    a> Switch on a 'Global' plan so that you can use your phone with Telus (or their partner in St Lucia), resulting in a bill from Telus for the usage in St Lucia).
    b> Have your 9530 unlocked so that you can buy a SIM card from a shop in St Lucia and use that while you're there.

If you are trying to use a different service providers SIM and your phone isn't unlocked, it will likely not work - the assumption being that Telus locks their 9530's.

Hope this clarifies.
    02-23-09 01:24 PM
    If Telus is like Bell in Canada than our 9530 was designed to not be able to be unlocked to accept other providers Sim cards ( which is a total pane ). I contacted many levels at Bell and they told me that my 9350 would work on any GSM, or CDMA, network in over 200 countries but it would never be able to unlock it as per their requested design. I'm going to Jamaica in about 3 weeks and it my Storm doesn't work while I travel I will sue them for the amount of work I miss!!!
    02-23-09 01:46 PM
    So what I read on Telus website before I left was that I didn't need a global plan. Just update the roaming list (which I did) and it should work.
    02-23-09 01:47 PM
    If you mean that they told you to Update the PRL and you will be able to use your Storm in other countries with other SIM cards, this is somewhat strange advice as a PRL is used only for CDMA - it has nothing to do with GSM.

Or maybe I'm getting the wrong end of the stick.

So to answer our questions from above, I take it you did not get your phone unlocked? If this is the case, it will not work with a different carriers SIM.

I would call Telus if I were you and explain your predicament.

So what I read on Telus website before I left was that I didn't need a global plan. Just update the roaming list (which I did) and it should work.
    02-23-09 02:03 PM
    That's not cool if they advertise it as a Quad Band 'World' phone and then give you the finger and tell you they won't unlock it!

I'd sue the buggers too!

If Telus is like Bell in Canada than our 9530 was designed to not be able to be unlocked to accept other providers Sim cards ( which is a total pane ). I contacted many levels at Bell and they told me that my 9350 would work on any GSM, or CDMA, network in over 200 countries but it would never be able to unlock it as per their requested design. I'm going to Jamaica in about 3 weeks and it my Storm doesn't work while I travel I will sue them for the amount of work I miss!!!
    02-23-09 02:13 PM
    I had the same problem as Sputnik. I traveled to Europe in January and had SOS and no voice/data on my VZW Storm with a VZW SIM card. I wasn't trying to use another SIM card in the BB, and my network was set to Global (also tryied GSM to no avail).
    I called VZW when I got back and they were not helpful at all (shocking!). They said I should've called when in Europe.

Does anyone have any idea what caused this?

tia,
    -gadgetaddict
    02-23-09 03:32 PM
    Sputnik - I would call Telus and ask. The website seems to indicate that there is some sort of international plan that needs to be added to your account. It's under the "International Roaming" section. There is also a guide for using the Storm internationally.

gadgetaddict - I have not used the Storm internationally but I did take my old 8830 to Scotland last summer and I assume the process is the same. Before leaving you have to go to the local VZW store (or call CS) and have them change your plan to global or activate international calling. When you return from your trip go back to the store (or call CS) and have them switch you back to the regular BB plan (that is if you switched; no trip or call required if you only activated int'l dialing). I ended up only paying for two weeks worth of global plan and had full BB functionality while in Scotland. If you don't do one of these two things (and your phone is not unlocked and using a SIM from a European company) then it's not going to work.
    Last edited by rjl2; 02-23-09 at 06:30 PM. Reason: clarified statements regarding int'l usage.
    02-23-09 03:57 PM
    I just got back from the UK and Switzerland and all I had to do was call up vzw and activate international dialing before I left and update the roaming programs. I did not add the global plan rather I just paid 2 cents per kilobyte and per minute rates. Do the math on whether u need the global, its not required!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-23-09 05:07 PM
    I did read on the website about an international plan but I think this is outdated. The storm guide about roaming only says what I've already done. Oh well I have wireless in the hotel and my Dell mini so I'm not SOL at least.
    02-23-09 06:17 PM
    I know most phone companies supply thier phones with overseas calls not connected

All you have to do before you go over sea's is to contact your provider, tell them you want the oversea's option enabled to allow for roaming and that should be it

They do put it in the price plan contract but hidden quite well
    02-23-09 06:56 PM
    Did you call VZW before you left to have them activate you on a Global plan?

Once again, if you didn't call VZW and have your Storm unlocked, you wouldnt have been able to use another carriers SIM.

I had the same problem as Sputnik. I traveled to Europe in January and had SOS and no voice/data on my VZW Storm with a VZW SIM card. I wasn't trying to use another SIM card in the BB, and my network was set to Global (also tryied GSM to no avail).
    I called VZW when I got back and they were not helpful at all (shocking!). They said I should've called when in Europe.

Does anyone have any idea what caused this?

tia,
    -gadgetaddict
    02-23-09 08:11 PM
    I am currently in the Netherlands and had this problem last time I was here too. The difference is THIS time I called in before hand to activate my international calling plan with VZW and updated roaming capabilities through option 2 when you dial *228. It still doesn't work.

I have tried switching to GSM network only, pulling the battery + sim, but nothing seems to work. I have not unlocked my phone and would prefer not to use a different sim card because I am traveling to multiple countries and don't want to deal with multiple SIM cards.

When I called in Verizon to activate they said I was all set to use my phone in the destinations I told them.

For Verizon, it seems to me like this problem arises from either 1) losing 1EX network connection within the US, in which case usage is not affected once you regain service, or 2) when unlucky people who travel internationally AND have activated their accounts for international use get it anyway.

It seems like number 2 is caused by a faulty SIM card- I am not entirely sure though. This is just my best guess from the troubleshooting I've done.
    05-20-11 10:13 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD