I know there have been threads regarding this issue before (phone won't turn on, black screen, flashing red light) but the only solution that I've read so far on this forum is to completley wipe the memory somehow (you explain it very well but I'm not at all technologically savy, so I really don't follow how to do it, but it seems to work for other people)
    The only thing is I simply cannot loose the memory or files that are on my phone. It was my 3 month old nephews christening this weekend and I was in charge of filming EVERYTHING on my phone, there was hours of footage on there, my sister will be devestated if it's all deleted.

This is what happened to my phone:

I was about to transfer my video files from my blackberry to my laptop in order to put them on a DVD, I plugged in my phone via the USB as I usually do, when it said there was new software for my phone that needed to be downloaded. I clicked on it and began to download, it was downloading for maybe 5 minutes when my computer crashed (I don't think it had anything to do with the phone, I think I just had too many programmes on the go) I disconnected my phone before I rebooted my computer. I noticed that the red light at the top right hand corner was flashing constantly - which I've never seen it do before- and the screen had gone black. I then tried turning it on - no luck. I then took out the battery left it for 5 minutes and put it back in - again no luck. I've tried charging it with my wall charger and through the USB and it does nothing but blink red repeatedly, and it will not turn on.

I know the obvious answer would be to send it to the Vodafone shop and try and either get it repaired or get a new one, or try some really savvy way to reboot the memory somehow but I am absolutely terrified of losing my videos.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to get it working again without wiping the memory clean? PLEASE help me - any suggestions at all. Thank you so much
    10-07-09 11:48 PM
    I'm assuming you were saving everything to your SD card and not the internal memory??

With the phone updating and the process being interrupted, chances are that your phone is nuked.
    10-07-09 11:54 PM
    I hate feeling like an *****, but I have no idea what an SD card is nor do I know what nuked means (unless that's just code for your phone is f*cked lol)

I'm really not into technology at all, I've only had this phone a month.
    10-08-09 12:01 AM
    The SD card is the card in the back of the phone where you would normally store all your pics, vids, and music. Just so you the card we have in our phones is known as a micro SD card, because of its size, of course.

You got it with the nuked part , but it doesn't mean that the phone is done. It can be fixed relatively easily.
    Last edited by z06mike; 10-08-09 at 12:13 AM.
    10-08-09 12:11 AM
    No, I don't have an SD card (just checked out my phone - I can see the space for it) just a SIM card.

I just read the BlackBerry 101: How to Reload the Operating System on a Nuked BlackBerry, which basically means I can fix the phone but lose everything I have on it. I don't really care too much about saving the phone to be honest (I've never had so many problems with a phone in my entire life, and I used to have the Motorola Razr lol)

I'm screwed really aren't I? Thanks so much for your help though - that was a seriously quick reply
    10-08-09 12:28 AM
    As far as your pics and such go, more than likely yeah. What happens if you connect your phone to your computer??
    10-08-09 12:31 AM
    You also might want to try and boot in safe mode, just to see if it will let you.

1. Remove and reinsert the battery.

2. When the red LED light goes out, press and hold the Escape key as the device is loading.

3. When the dialog appears, click OK.

An indicator will appear in the Device Status section of the Home screen to signify that you are in Safe Mode.

To exit Safe Mode, remove and reinsert the battery again.
    10-08-09 01:09 AM
    Nothing happens when I connect it to the computer, all it says in my desktop manager is Device connected (PIN):None

I've tried to boot it in safe mode and nothing happens. The red light never goes out, it's just constantly flashing every few seconds.

Is there nothing at all I can do to save my files? Usually I woulnd't be worried at all, I'd just send it back to get fixed or be replaced but I really need those videos.

I really really appreciate your help by the way
    10-08-09 01:19 AM
    I really think your SOL. The only thing that might work is to install an OS on your phone, download a program like Recuva(download link) and hope it finds the deleted files from your phone. If you take it in and they can't do anything, they will just give you a new (refurb) phone, and your phone will be history.
    Last edited by z06mike; 10-08-09 at 10:16 AM.
    10-08-09 10:13 AM
    So I dowloaded a new OS and followed the intructions from BlackBerry 101: How to Reload the Operating System on a Nuked BlackBerry. It worked perfecty and best of all - None of my media files were deleted! They were all still there- music, pictures and videos! I didn't even have to re-set up my email!
    My contacts were erased from my phone (luckily I had those backed up on my SIM) as were all my applications (facebook etc) but apart from that it's perfect!!

I have no idea how to thank you guys on this board!! If it weren't for your help (z06mike) and whoever typed up those instructions for de-nuking your phone I would have just taken the phone in for repair and gotten a new one, which would have meant my nephew's christening videos being lost for good.

THANK YOU THANK YOU!!!
    Last edited by swarley90; 10-08-09 at 09:05 PM.
    10-08-09 09:03 PM
    Glad to hear that you were able to keep all of your files
    If I were you, I would make sure to back them up somewhere just to be safe.

Glad I could be of some help also.
    10-08-09 11:11 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD