Using:

Blackberry Storm 9530 OS v 4.7.0.148
    Blackberry Desktop Manager 4.7
    Outlook 2003 SP3

Just updated BB OS this Sunday, but this problem has been occurring for over a month and I am ready to throw the computer and the storm through the wall.

Randomly, the storm wants to delete 40+ items from my Outlook calendar. It (me) accidentally deleted a TON of appointments once because I wasn't paying attention. Now I have my storm set to keep appointments forever. But it doesn't want to. I have cleared the calendar under Restore and synced fresh. That will last one to two syncs and then it tries to delete items again. Some of them are even in the current month.

I am at my wits end with this. I have done searches on google and am finding people with the same problem, but no solutions.

Please help.
    Thank you!
    Glenneth
    06-03-09 04:39 PM
    install google sync on your computer, and your bb.
    then, disable the sync with outlook.

oh, one thing. make sure to delete all your stuff from either outlook or your bb (contacts, calendar stuff, not emails) as it will make duplicates. btw this is google calendar, a great thing imo
    06-03-09 05:45 PM
    Thanks for the suggestion - but I really love Outlook - and this doesn't seem like an Outlook issue but more like a blackberry issue. I was really hoping there was some setting somewhere that I might just be missing.

Thanks!
    06-03-09 07:27 PM
    By any chance, do you mark appointments as Private? Or have any filters set up?

I sync with no problems, although I do use Outlook 2007 and not 2003, if that makes any difference.
    06-03-09 07:41 PM
    I don't mark anything as private. I sync my blackberry to my home computer - no one ever sees my calendar but me. I don't have filters set up but I do have categories (where I color code each type of appointment). I have always done that though - so I don't know why it would cause a problem now - especially for such a limited number of appointments. They are all different categories. Some recurring, some one time only. Some all day, some time specific. Just very strange.
    06-03-09 07:44 PM
    Using:

Blackberry Storm 9530 OS v 4.7.0.148
    Blackberry Desktop Manager 4.7
    Outlook 2003 SP3

Just updated BB OS this Sunday, but this problem has been occurring for over a month and I am ready to throw the computer and the storm through the wall.

Randomly, the storm wants to delete 40+ items from my Outlook calendar. It (me) accidentally deleted a TON of appointments once because I wasn't paying attention. Now I have my storm set to keep appointments forever. But it doesn't want to. I have cleared the calendar under Restore and synced fresh. That will last one to two syncs and then it tries to delete items again. Some of them are even in the current month.

I am at my wits end with this. I have done searches on google and am finding people with the same problem, but no solutions.

Please help.
    Thank you!
    Glenneth

I know you have set your storm to keep appointments forever...but give this a try. Hopefully it will work: (i think the key point is that you shouldn't have any entries on your device calendar when you do this)

During wired synchronization, BlackBerry Desktop Manager prompts for a high number of deletions of Calendar entries although you have not deleted any Calendar entries on the BlackBerry smartphone.

Cause

The Keep Appointments setting in the Calendar application is set to 60 days.

Resolution

Complete the following steps:

1. Verify that the Calendar entries are NOT present in the BlackBerry smartphone.
    2. Open the Calendar application.
    3. Display the menu, and select Options.
    4. Select General Options.
    5. Set the Keep Appointments option to Forever.

Now try syncing again.

It might be a bug that keeps defaulting your setting back to 60 days.

Give it a try and post back to let us know if it worked.
    06-03-09 07:45 PM
    I don't mark anything as private. I sync my blackberry to my home computer - no one ever sees my calendar but me. I don't have filters set up but I do have categories (where I color code each type of appointment). I have always done that though - so I don't know why it would cause a problem now - especially for such a limited number of appointments. They are all different categories. Some recurring, some one time only. Some all day, some time specific. Just very strange.
    Unfortunately, the BB calendar doesn't use categories, so that info in Outlook is ignored. I use them too.

The only other thing I can think of... When a BB is running out of memory it will start deleting various things on its own, including messages, appointments, tasks, etc. Not sure what priority it uses when doing this. Next time it does this, you may want to see how much memory you have at that time.
    06-03-09 07:56 PM
    You could also try clearing the BB calendar and then sync again.

You can clear the calendar using the backup and restore option in desktop manager OR go to calender on the bb, get into Agenda view, select a date past all your appointments, like May 2010.

Once on that date press menu key, option delete prior. You should have a completely blank calender.

Reset your sync options on the desktop manager, in calendar, make sure you check all appointments, this synchronizes the entire calendar.
    06-03-09 07:56 PM
    Resolution

Complete the following steps:

1. Verify that the Calendar entries are NOT present in the BlackBerry smartphone.
    2. Open the Calendar application.
    3. Display the menu, and select Options.
    4. Select General Options.
    5. Set the Keep Appointments option to Forever.

Now try syncing again.

It might be a bug that keeps defaulting your setting back to 60 days.

Give it a try and post back to let us know if it worked.
    Thanks. I have followed all the steps. After I synced all appointments back to the device I modified and added some to see what would happen. The next sync was good. We will see tomorrow how things go. Sometimes it does 4-5 good syncs before it has its meltdown.

Thanks for the advice!
    06-03-09 08:05 PM
    Unfortunately, the BB calendar doesn't use categories, so that info in Outlook is ignored. I use them too.

The only other thing I can think of... When a BB is running out of memory it will start deleting various things on its own, including messages, appointments, tasks, etc. Not sure what priority it uses when doing this. Next time it does this, you may want to see how much memory you have at that time.

Great suggestion - I will certainly check the memory status the next time it does this.

Thanks!
    06-03-09 08:06 PM
    You could also try clearing the BB calendar and then sync again.

You can clear the calendar using the backup and restore option in desktop manager OR go to calender on the bb, get into Agenda view, select a date past all your appointments, like May 2010.

Once on that date press menu key, option delete prior. You should have a completely blank calender.

Reset your sync options on the desktop manager, in calendar, make sure you check all appointments, this synchronizes the entire calendar.
    I have been clearing the calendar multiple times per week. Once it wants to delete everything, my only option has been to clear everything and start over since I don't want it to delete everything.
    06-03-09 08:08 PM
    Great suggestion - I will certainly check the memory status the next time it does this.

Thanks!
    A helpful tip... Make sure you close apps properly when finished with them. Many apps will close properly when you hold down the return button (next to the red End button), but there are many 3rd party apps that do not adhere to this and need to be closed by hitting the BB button then choosing Close or Exit. When apps are closed, it will free up the memory they were using.
    06-03-09 08:12 PM
    Well, the fix worked for 6 days, then it started wanting to delete. Hmm. Just checked application memory and it says 0. ZERO? What's up with that? Guess it is time for a battery pull. I may need to start consciously closing applications the correct way. And maybe a battery pull before syncing.....
    06-10-09 05:57 AM
    Well, the fix worked for 6 days, then it started wanting to delete. Hmm. Just checked application memory and it says 0. ZERO? What's up with that? Guess it is time for a battery pull. I may need to start consciously closing applications the correct way. And maybe a battery pull before syncing.....
    Sounds like ya got the issue almost resolved . If you don't already have it, download QuickPull. A handy app to have that you can schedule a reset on a daily basis at a time that's convenient, when you're sleeping.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-10-09 06:35 AM
    I have been having the same problem with Outlook 2003 and my Storm (after upgrading to v5.0.0.328.) I wiped out the calendar then did a re-synch to my work laptop. Question is-- will I be able to synch my home PC calendar (also Outlook 2003) with this calendar. In general, I have never gotten a clear answer on the proper way to do this. Any suggestions? This calendar thing is driving me nuts ever since I got my Storm. Other than that I love my first BB!
    11-10-09 04:01 PM
    I have been having the same problem with Outlook 2003 and my Storm (after upgrading to v5.0.0.328.) I wiped out the calendar then did a re-synch to my work laptop. Question is-- will I be able to synch my home PC calendar (also Outlook 2003) with this calendar. In general, I have never gotten a clear answer on the proper way to do this. Any suggestions? This calendar thing is driving me nuts ever since I got my Storm. Other than that I love my first BB!
    You should have no issues sync'ing to two computers. I sync to three with no problems, two using Outlook 2007 and one using lotus Notes (work laptop, hate Notes personally). Just make sure your sync settings are set the same, as well as Outlook configurations.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Last edited by Craterz; 11-10-09 at 05:46 PM.
    11-10-09 05:43 PM
    Perhaps it had something to do with the "remove after 60 days" setting that I never knew about until I read this thread. I haven't tried to synch with the home PC again yet, but I hope it works now.
    11-11-09 12:17 PM
    If you are getting an application memory reading of 0 that would concern me greatly. One of your apps must have a hugh memory leak. Are you running any themes? If so they are know for leaking mem. Try going to the default theme and that might fix the leak problem which will in turn fix the calendar deleting sync problem.
    11-11-09 01:35 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD