Hi,
    I am looking for help understanding data usage.
    I will be going to mainland Europe in September and I am trying to decide what is the best roaming data package.
    Vodafone offer a monthly tarriff which give 5MB for �12.50.
    They suggest that basic text emails average 1.2kb and typical web pages average 40kb.
    What I am wondering about is GPS. Thats what I would really like it for.
    Does anyone know how much GPS with google maps would use?
    I have downloaded minimoni and I know that within Google Maps you can look in help-about to see the usage.
    5MB does not seem much and each 1MB after that costs �6.

Thanks for any help.
    08-09-09 01:08 PM
    Ouch thats pretty expensive. Since Google Maps actually sends tiles of images, I can imagine you will go through 1 meg of data in less than a minute. Not good.
    08-09-09 01:48 PM
    Be forewarned, Vodafone say 1.2kb/per email and 40kb/web page, those numbers are REALLY quite modest, and are more average for a compressed WAP (standard mobile phone) page.

The CrackBerry.com front page (full version, not mobile version.) is 2.65MB according to Safari on my Mac.

The Vodafone front page is just under 1MB itself, so as I said, these numbers are quite modest, Google Apps will go through 5MB in under 2-3 minutes.

I'm not sure what a good option would be for your trip, I believe Vodafone charge �5 for their standard BIS option, and another �5 for an unlimited browsing tariff.

I'm not entirely sure where your located, so I can't be much help sadly, but feel free to get in touch if you require more assistance with this, I'd be happy to help.
    08-09-09 02:45 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD