I have had a 9530 since they were released and I am on Verizon. I was laid off by my company and the new company I work for only uses AT&T. How can I use the Storm on ATT?

Open to suggestions and Ideas, not looking forward to going to a curve or iPhone
    06-04-09 02:03 PM
    You would need to get it "unlocked" and then use an ATT sim card in the phone to get it to work. At least, that's my complete n00b understanding and I am probably about to get pwned for being totally wrong. Ah well, here is a thread that explains the conflict: http://forums.crackberry.com/f86/storm-t-93538/
    Last edited by jeffmeden; 06-04-09 at 02:09 PM.
    06-04-09 02:07 PM
    06-04-09 02:10 PM
    crackberryfan;

sweet, that is exactly what i was looking for
    06-04-09 02:33 PM
    so the instructions say i need to get an ATT SIM and then unlock the phone.

Where can I get the SIM card from? If I use the Uniquephone link does that take the place of getting the ATT SIM?
    06-04-09 02:44 PM
    I'm assuming you're planning to use your personal Storm as your company phone. If so, you'd have to make arrangements with them to give you an ATT SIM. The SIM is necessary to operate on the ATT network and the company's account. You have to hope, however, that your company is willing to provide a data plan for the BB. Some companies provide just phones for cell service, not a data capable phone (BB, etc.).
    06-04-09 02:48 PM
    I'm assuming you're planning to use your personal Storm as your company phone. If so, you'd have to make arrangements with them to give you an ATT SIM. The SIM is necessary to operate on the ATT network and the company's account. You have to hope, however, that your company is willing to provide a data plan for the BB. Some companies provide just phones for cell service, not a data capable phone (BB, etc.).
    Yeah, that is the case. The company I am going to work for is only 30 people so I am really unsure if they have them laying around.
    06-04-09 02:58 PM
    It's not about whether they have them laying around. If they're giving you an ATT phone, that phone includes a SIM. You just need to work with your employer to see if you're allowed to use it in your personal phone.
    06-04-09 03:06 PM
    I am a bit confused in this why do you need to switch to AT&T? I mean if your company is on BES does it matter what carrier is it running?
    06-04-09 03:07 PM
    thats the rub. they are not giving me a phone, i am responsible for the phone, they will pay the bills. the number has to be ported to their account with ATT. They only have an account with ATT and no other provider.
    06-04-09 03:08 PM
    I am a bit confused in this why do you need to switch to AT&T? I mean if your company is on BES does it matter what carrier is it running?
    they have an account with ATT that has thousands of minutes that eveybody draws from.
    06-04-09 03:11 PM
    thats the rub. they are not giving me a phone, i am responsible for the phone, they will pay the bills. the number has to be ported to their account with ATT. They only have an account with ATT and no other provider.
    If they have an ATT account, I'm sure they can arrange with ATT to get you a SIM, even if it costs you a few bucks. As a last resort, you can find a SIM at a number of online retailers, Ebay, etc.
    06-04-09 03:23 PM
    thanks for all the help.

I just called the company I am going to work for and she said she would try to get a sim card, I am not holding my breath though.

I jumped on ebay and saw "old sim cards" obviously this is not what I want. Is there a specific type/nomenclature of the card I need?
    can I just "borrow" one from my buddies ifone?
    06-04-09 03:41 PM
    Just visit an ATT store. More info. here:

AT&T now offering SIM-only option : Boy Genius Report

Also, like I mentioned above, there's online retailers that sell them. Seek and yee shall find. Work with me here!
    Last edited by crackberryfan; 06-04-09 at 07:03 PM.
    06-04-09 05:04 PM
    i was reading that earlier too. just was trying to figure which one was the right one to get. online retailers have a couple different kinds and did not want to deal with some crappy old one that only works in lousiana

I think i have what I need, I appreciate the help and the patience.
    06-04-09 06:02 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD