when i go to use the camera it opens up and says " could not start camera. Close other applications and try opening the camera again"

there are so many threads about this problem, but i cant find a solution yet. is there actually a real solution for this other than asking for a replacement?
    01-20-09 08:58 PM
    Battery pull might provide you with a temporary fix.
    01-20-09 08:59 PM
    I would try what Sith mentioned. Sometimes a battery pull isnt enough, and may not seem like much of a help, but you would be surprised how many times this has actually done the trick for me.
    01-20-09 09:11 PM
    I was having the same problem and just now pulled the battery and it works!

I hope that works for you as well!
    01-20-09 09:13 PM
    i tried so many times.. even i remove the media card, still cant start the camera..
    01-20-09 09:19 PM
    have you upgraded to the latest OS?
    01-20-09 09:21 PM
    i am on .75 and installing .86 now.. will see if it helps
    01-20-09 09:24 PM
    Let us know how it works out for ya.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-20-09 09:26 PM
    after installation, i worked.. then i took a photo, then the phone froze.. pullout the battery twice, and then i am back to zero..

camera cant start.. damn... what should i do?
    01-20-09 09:49 PM
    Hmmm.... It could be a hardware issue. If you are a Verizon subscriber, I would try taking it back to them see what they can do for ya.
    01-20-09 09:58 PM
    Perhaps downgrade before going......(to XL)
    01-20-09 11:11 PM
    i dont live in US. i bought the phone there, and use it in my home country.. so no chance to get a replacement..

i dont think it is a hardware problem as sometimes the camera does start.. but then the phone freezes after a few minutes..

anyone has a solution? please help...
    01-21-09 12:23 AM
    anyone who can help?
    01-21-09 07:49 PM
    Try installing the latest os......
    01-22-09 11:28 AM
    Mine did the same and had to get a replacment.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-22-09 11:46 AM
    anyone can help please?
    01-26-09 11:49 PM
    no one got a solution?
    01-29-09 08:47 PM
    Okay, so after pulling my hair out over this problem for the past three days, here's what I've come up with. I got the camera working again, yay!

First of all, I got the camera cannot start error about 3 days ago. Tried battery pulls, nothing. Updated the OS from .75 to .99, nothing. Tried running the Storm with the SIM card/SD card in and out, nothing. No apps running in the background, 44mb of free RAM, nothing. You get the idea.

What got it working for me, was gently (not too hard, but not too soft either) pressing on the piece of plastic covering the camera lens. I gently pushed there, and the area on the front of the phone that is directly behind the camera lens. I did this with the phone off and the battery out, btw. Then, first try after I booted the phone, the camera worked fine. I dont know if the camera hardware got jarred out of place or what, and pressing on it re-seated it, but this is what worked for me. Give it a try, it can't hurt. Its the only thing that worked for me.
    02-06-09 04:52 AM
    Okay, so after pulling my hair out over this problem for the past three days, here's what I've come up with. I got the camera working again, yay!

First of all, I got the camera cannot start error about 3 days ago. Tried battery pulls, nothing. Updated the OS from .75 to .99, nothing. Tried running the Storm with the SIM card/SD card in and out, nothing. No apps running in the background, 44mb of free RAM, nothing. You get the idea.

What got it working for me, was gently (not too hard, but not too soft either) pressing on the piece of plastic covering the camera lens. I gently pushed there, and the area on the front of the phone that is directly behind the camera lens. I did this with the phone off and the battery out, btw. Then, first try after I booted the phone, the camera worked fine. I dont know if the camera hardware got jarred out of place or what, and pressing on it re-seated it, but this is what worked for me. Give it a try, it can't hurt. Its the only thing that worked for me.

thx a lot dude.. it works..

however, im afraid this is not a permanent solution. i believe it is the connector that got loose between the phone board and the camera.. please keep me updated if your camera keeps working.. i will do the same..
    02-06-09 07:51 PM
    Sure, will do. And yeah I don't see it as a permanent solution either, obviously it shouldn't be coming lose at all lol. But we'll see what happens I guess, glad it worked for you.
    02-06-09 10:39 PM
    yeah.. i was about to send my storm to my friend in US to claim to verizon. if this solution can be permanent, it helps a lot.. i was told that once we unlock the phone, then the verizon warranty becomes void.
    02-07-09 12:25 AM
    had the same problem i did a battery pull and it worked
    02-07-09 02:26 AM
    Interesting my replacement unit has that issue. I hope it's not toast.
    02-07-09 06:23 AM

This method works. Camera stopped working a couple of days ago when on 4.7.0.99. I updated to .103 and the camera still wasn't working. After trying numerous battery pulls and thinking two OS's in a row couldn't be causing this, I found this thread.

Pays to use the search function on here. Thanks Calvin
    02-12-09 01:00 AM
    yes, but this solution is not permanent.. once you move your phone around, the connector behind the camera lens can easily get loose. once it does, then you'll have the same problem again.

but, you can just repeat the above solution again..
    02-12-09 07:48 PM
31 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD