Ok, so I just got a Storm yesterday and I've been searching and reading through this forum since the moment I got it (...and even before I got it when I did my research). Trust me, the search button IS my friend, but i did not find what i was looking for. Here's my issue:

I want to update my phone's OS to .132/5.0 but I can't

1.I have a Mac ( I love it, don't hate )
    2.I'm running Windows XP on Parallels
    3.My DM freezes up when I try to back the phone up, it won't even start Backing up data. <-----Real Issue
    4. It pretty much freezes up anytime I want to do anything over DM.

Please help me, I'm a complete noob when it comes to BBs...

Much thanks in advance.
    05-10-09 03:34 PM
    Welcome, we were all noob at one time.

In your searching, you may have missed the numerous post where members have been frustrated with the inability of Macintosh to work with BlackBerry Software.

There are workarounds for some things, others, like installing a new device OS are impossible. You will need to use a Windows computer.
    05-10-09 03:41 PM
    ****. I did see the serious amount of people that have troubles with mac and BB combined. It's truly unfortunate. I was just hoping at least one person may have been able to get it working on a mac.
    05-10-09 03:51 PM
    You can also just use a friends computer to do this. I have a macbook too and I just never bothered to even try on the macbook. I just use my work computer or my daughters netbook. k.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-10-09 05:05 PM
    Because parallels and the mac are sharing ram the computer doesn't have the horsepower to do backups and os changes. Since you already have a copy of windows xp (which is what i am running on my mac) you should try bootcamp which is in the utilities folder. If you print out the install instructions it is actually pretty easy to do. Just yesterday a was able to install .141/5.0.0.90 hybrid + shrink-A-os. Also you should download something called .net frameworks for the xp side of the computer because when i installed the leaked .141 it worked fine, but when i was trying to install the hybrid i was getting an error until i installed the .net frameworks
    05-10-09 06:23 PM
    I run VMWare and it works fine. Try going through apploader. I think its C>program files>common files>research in motion>loader>loader.exe or something like that. That should back it up and load the new os for you

05-10-09 08:02 PM
    I run VMWare and it works fine. Try going through apploader. I think its C>program files>common files>research in motion>loader>loader.exe or something like that. That should back it up and load the new os for you

Bingo! Definitely VMware and Apploader, rather than Desktop Manager.

Although, Desktop Manager works fine for me, too.

Don't forget that you have to run the new OS .exe file in Windows before DM or apploader will see it. Also, if you've downloaded PocketMac or MissingSync, you will have to disable their processes via Activity Monitor before you can have Windows recognise your BB.
    05-10-09 08:56 PM
    I am using vmware and desktop manager.. just finished an upgrade to .141 with this set-up when that leak came out... I would highly recommend VMWARE and your mac but like SKWIJ said... you have to disable pocketmac or missing sync processes so your BB will be recognized...Otherwise you will be beating your head against the wall.... Good luck.. I love my mac and my BB storm...
    05-10-09 09:11 PM
    Welcome, we were all noob at one time.

In your searching, you may have missed the numerous post where members have been frustrated with the inability of Macintosh to work with BlackBerry Software.

There are workarounds for some things, others, like installing a new device OS are impossible. You will need to use a Windows computer.
    boy what you talkin about I came out of the womb a BB expert

05-10-09 09:43 PM
    Wow guys thanks so much for the help, def gonna try apploader thru parallels, if that don't work, the i'll dl vmware and go from there, thanks again
    05-10-09 09:57 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD