My valuable messages are gone. Please help!

So here is the story. Looks a bit lengthy but I don't know which part can help you to help me. I was using a 4.7.0.132 unofficial image for months, and I recently decided to upgrade to the 4.7.0.148 official image. I am not familiar with the upgrade procedure (although I did once).

I first upgraded the Desktop manager to 5.0 hoping it will bring me the new OS. But after going through the "Update Software" process I found I was still having the 132 OS. During this process, I selected "back up device data automatically during the installation process" and hence got a backup. At the end of the update I was notified an error of restoring the data but I didn't pay attention. I didn't check but I believe my SMS messages were still there because I didn't select to erase any data.

I then went to verizon website and downloaded the new OS exe and executed. I was prompted to update the OS and I noticed the "Delete all application data" and "Erase all currently installed application" are automatically checked and can't be uncheck. I think I checked to backup device data but I am not sure as there was only one backup file on that day. I then updated to 148 OS and found all device data are gone. No contacts, no messages, no calling logs. I didn't panic as I knew I had a backup file. I restored the backup file without any error. Everything was back except that I had only 16 most recent SMS messages other than over a hundred messages that should be there.

Can anybody let me know whether there is any chance that I can get my SMS messages back?

Here is the basic question. where are the SMS messages stored? I find it extremely confusing about the storage on this pathetic phone. There is the SD card and the application memory, device memory or something like that. And you know when you are talking about memory on a computer, it refers to the RAM other than any permanent storage media. And what the **** is "device data" and what is "application data"? Are SMS messages part of "application data"?

Thanks for reading this!
    08-06-09 02:59 AM
    When u got that "error" it possibly lost some messages.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-06-09 03:31 AM
    Most likely those messages are gone. I would recommend reading the BB101 Lecture Series as it will answer many of the questions you are asking and then some. It is a wealth of information, containing proper OS upgrade/downgrade procedures.

PS The Storm is a great device, and not pathetic! Just take the time to learn it and you will love it!
    08-06-09 03:45 AM
    The SMS messages are stored in the application/system memory, just like all of the other messages. You can try clearing the SMS database on your phone using the Advanced Back/Restore option, then put the database back on from your backup. This may recover messages that didn't transfer the first time.

As a heads up though, you should ALWAYS backup your device properly before an OS install. Don't take the chance that the automatic backup will work correctly. And, if you have important messages, you should really be connecting to Desktop Manager more regularly to back up your device data. I try to remember to do mine at least once a week.

This will protect you in the event that something happens to your Storm (e.g. it gets dropped, or stolen, or other).
    08-06-09 04:52 AM
    Thanks for all the replies. Are SMS messages, contacts, application binaries and application data all stored in the same place?
    08-06-09 01:01 PM
    Yes they are... they're all in the LoaderBackup file.
    08-06-09 04:30 PM
    Why the heck do you have hundreds of SMS messages stored on your phone? For memories?
    08-06-09 05:20 PM
    When you upgrade (or downgrade) an OS version, it deletes all your saved SMS, MMS, and messages. What you should do before upgrading is back up the phone's data using the desktop manager. After upgrading you can restore the data and settings you wish to restore prior to installation. SMS, MMS, and other messages are stored in application memory. Device memory is primarily used for things like ringtones and other "system" files.
    08-06-09 05:29 PM
    OK, folks, I finally figured out why I ended up having only 16 messages left. It was because I set it to keep messages for only 15 days, and I didn't notice that it was deleting my messages until I checked it after the upgrade.

Thanks for all the replies! I should backup regularly but I really think this is an unnecessary burden to the end user...
    08-13-09 10:02 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD