lol sorry i am paranoid after all the rips on me on my youtube video...
    No worries... You know, I still a Helio Ocean/contract in limbo with this phone. That has an awesome qwerty keyboard for typing. I've never used suretype before and I thought it was going to suck compared to what I might leave in limbo.

I think you should get acclimated to the sure type, I actually type faster and more accurately with the storm in portrait.

So for me, the typing problem is now officially resolved, what I don't like is the lag. It takes a good few seconds(8 is the longest) for the phone to react coming out of locked mode.

The accelerometer takes a good full two seconds to catch up with the rotation.

I hope the OS update resolves this or increases speed and decreases the lag. This will help me ditch my beloved Helio Ocean.
    11-25-08 02:54 PM
    No worries... You know, I still a Helio Ocean/contract in limbo with this phone. That has an awesome qwerty keyboard for typing. I've never used suretype before and I thought it was going to suck compared to what I might leave in limbo.

I think you should get acclimated to the sure type, I actually type faster and more accurately with the storm in portrait.

So for me, the typing problem is now officially resolved, what I don't like is the lag. It takes a good few seconds(8 is the longest) for the phone to react coming out of locked mode.

The accelerometer takes a good full two seconds to catch up with the rotation.

I hope the OS update resolves this or increases speed and decreases the lag. This will help me ditch my beloved Helio Ocean.

how ironic, my phone has zero lag. the accelerometer is pretty much instant.

but i am going to try to post a video to see if you guys think i have a bad screen.
    11-25-08 05:50 PM
    ok I just uploaded another video. its short, maybe 1 minute, please watch.

first part it shows the issue i have with option menus, this option was a save, discard, cancel menu and as you can see i have to tap many times to get something selected. then even though its selected/highlighted, clicking on it does nothing.

2nd part of the video shows that my phone with the .65 software is pretty much isntant on the accelerometer. maybe 1/2 a second. i am not seeing 2 to 10 second lag like many.

i will try to do a keyboard typing video issue tonight.

thanks for everyones help.
    11-25-08 06:01 PM
    ok I just uploaded another video. its short, maybe 1 minute, please watch.

first part it shows the issue i have with option menus, this option was a save, discard, cancel menu and as you can see i have to tap many times to get something selected. then even though its selected/highlighted, clicking on it does nothing.

2nd part of the video shows that my phone with the .65 software is pretty much isntant on the accelerometer. maybe 1/2 a second. i am not seeing 2 to 10 second lag like many.

i will try to do a keyboard typing video issue tonight.

thanks for everyones help.
    looks to me like you may have a screen issue.
    11-25-08 06:20 PM
    Is there a Verizon store near you? If so, go down and try out the demo phones to see if you are having the same problem.
    11-25-08 06:26 PM
    Is there a Verizon store near you? If so, go down and try out the demo phones to see if you are having the same problem.
    i did, i am having many of the same issues.

i dont know, i think a touchscreen phone just isnt the phone for me unfortunately. i find myself having so much trouble just dialing numbers.

like on my q, i want to call "mom" i just type mom, she comes up, i press left or right to pick m, w, h, and hit send. on this phone i gotta go to contacts, try to press my finger into the little lookup box, which takes time, then try to get it typed, then try to pick the name, etc. this is very hard while driving, it used to be quick (and safe) now its hard and def. unsafe.

again, i will not return it yet, but i will if the update and getting used to it doesnt help.
    11-25-08 11:57 PM
    Mine has the same exact issues that yours has, but a little less pronounced. I think it will get better, but you may need another phone, Yours is definitely worse than mine.
    11-26-08 12:52 AM
    thanks five, atleast i know i am not alone.

my friend was with me when i went to the verizon store and i handed him the phone in qwerty keyboard mode, typing a message and said here, try this. after a couple minutes he said "WHY DOES IT KEEP HITTING THE BUTTON NEXT TO WHERE I PRESS?!?!!" yes he yelled it

so it seems we arent the only ones.

another thing, the browser is next to IMPOSSIBLE to hit links cause your finger covers them and you have no idea where you are touching, esepcially when links are crowded.
    11-26-08 01:08 AM
    yes, true. If you zoom it like 5 times, it is easier to push it, though.
    11-26-08 01:36 AM
    Ok i love this phone, i want to keep it bad. i just finished installed BES and it was a pain and i want it to be worth it, but...................

I CANT TYPE AT ALL!

in any mode!

it picks up the side of my large thumb on the wrong key every time!

Am i supposed to be using my fingernail or something?

Is there a "learning mode" or something i am missing?

Suretype the keys are huge and it misses my hits all the time, i end up with the key to the right or left, even when i make sure i use 2 hands and keep them on their side of the keyboard!

qwerty is a little better but i have to type at like 5% speed i was typing on my moto q.

please help!
    I had the same problem, I eventually came around and am typing at 75% from my old Q. Just give it time.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-26-08 01:44 AM
    I had the same problem, I eventually came around and am typing at 75% from my old Q. Just give it time.

that is really exciting news to hear from an ex q user. are you using landscape or suretype? please tell me your not using multitap, it works most accurate for me for now, but without t9, itap or anything i refuse to use multitap, its soo inefficient.

did you change any settings for the keyboard/screen?

any tips?
    11-26-08 02:19 AM
    thanks five, atleast i know i am not alone.

my friend was with me when i went to the verizon store and i handed him the phone in qwerty keyboard mode, typing a message and said here, try this. after a couple minutes he said "WHY DOES IT KEEP HITTING THE BUTTON NEXT TO WHERE I PRESS?!?!!" yes he yelled it

so it seems we arent the only ones.

another thing, the browser is next to IMPOSSIBLE to hit links cause your finger covers them and you have no idea where you are touching, esepcially when links are crowded.
    Try using the mouse pointer in cursor mode to highlight links, then click. The pointer is tiny and accurate, and your fat finger (relative to the pointer) won't cover the target link.
    11-26-08 02:59 AM
    Try using the mouse pointer in cursor mode to highlight links, then click. The pointer is tiny and accurate, and your fat finger (relative to the pointer) won't cover the target link.

am i missing something? what pointer? lol
    11-26-08 03:25 AM
    have you tried putting some folded paper above your battery yet, or a cut up piece of an old credit card?
    11-26-08 05:28 AM
    Mike I'm having similar issues to you although it�s not quite as bad. I find the pop-up [cancel] [save] [abort] buttons especially difficult to hit. Also the letter [T] in portrait keyboard mode is a challenge.
    I think the middle part of my screen must be faulty as it does not seem as responsive as other areas.
    I posted this thread;
    forums.crackberry.com/f86/scrolling-emails-portrait-mode-103231/
    which describes a problem with scrolling which may be indicative of a troublesome screen. I would be interested to know if yours exhibits a similar fault.
    11-26-08 07:57 AM

that is really exciting news to hear from an ex q user. are you using landscape or suretype? please tell me your not using multitap, it works most accurate for me for now, but without t9, itap or anything i refuse to use multitap, its soo inefficient.

did you change any settings for the keyboard/screen?

any tips?
    I type in landscape I have added predictive text of my own. It works really well, for me if I make some certain mistakes it'll bring the word I'm looking for before I'm done. I have adapted, now Suretype I don't get at all.

11-26-08 09:53 AM
    I opted out of my order and headed to Verizon to try the thing out in person. I'm glad VZ ran out of phones. I'm sure that the Storm will appeal to a large group of persons; however, if your main focus is emails, documents, and more than just casual typing, this is NOT the phone for you.
    The floor model at my local Verizon froze, lagged, didn't click...but my Storm is a whole other beast. I'm glad you found something that works well for you. The Bold is HOT!
    11-26-08 11:14 AM
    another thing, i know that hitting space twice gives you a period, and a space in an email gives you an @. but what about question marks an commas in regular typing either with suretype or landscape qwerty? i find myself using a lot of questionmarks in my emails, so is there a shortcut i am missing for this stuff?
    11-27-08 05:45 AM
    Play the word mole game it helps you get used to the touch and click
    11-27-08 07:17 AM
    FYI- For all women/men with fingernails longer than the end of their finger....IT IS REALLLY HARD TO TYPE ON THE STORM. I really wanted the Storm (have the Curve now). Went to try it out at the local Verizon store, but after trying to type with fairly short fingerails, I could not do it. I type on a computer all day at work, so I was really disappointed.
    My question is this: Didn't anyone testing out this new device before it was released let women/men try it with nails?
    Obviously, I am not the only person with this issue. Trying to type with the sides of my thumbs, it was impossible to hit the correct keys. I wish the touch screens would be corrected so that fingernails would work on them....I know that A LOT more women/men would be trying and purchasing the Storm.
    I also tried the Iphone and had the exact same typing issues. This is a very frustrating issue that should be corrected ASAP..!!!!!
    12-03-08 11:34 PM
45 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD