A relative bought me a Storm while I was visiting family over the holidays, and while I love the device, mine does have some hardware issues that warrant a replacement. I called customer service and they agreed I should receive a new Storm, but said that since it was purchased in a corporate store they cannot mail me the replacement (it has to be returned to a store in order to keep inventory even, apparently). First I was told it had to be taken back to the original store, but then after checking with their supervisor my CS rep said it could be taken to any corporate store. This is to receive a brand new device, by the way, not a refurbished warranty replacement.

My problem is that the store nearest to me is 30 minutes away and I will not have time to make that trip before my 30 day worry free guarantee expires on the 23rd. Has anyone else run into a problem similar to this, or does anyone have any advice? Please do not troll this thread talking about the overuse of replacements. I agree, but some are legitimate and I have limited time. :-/

Thanks in advance for any help!
    01-21-09 05:33 PM
    uh that's not right... they should be able to do a replacement through any means as long as it was purchased through verizon directly (website, store, telesales). They only time they cannot do an exchange is if it was NOT purchased through verizon direct, ie agent, premium retailer
    01-21-09 05:37 PM
    A relative bought me a Storm while I was visiting family over the holidays, and while I love the device, mine does have some hardware issues that warrant a replacement. I called customer service and they agreed I should receive a new Storm, but said that since it was purchased in a corporate store they cannot mail me the replacement (it has to be returned to a store in order to keep inventory even, apparently). First I was told it had to be taken back to the original store, but then after checking with their supervisor my CS rep said it could be taken to any corporate store. This is to receive a brand new device, by the way, not a refurbished warranty replacement.

My problem is that the store nearest to me is 30 minutes away and I will not have time to make that trip before my 30 day worry free guarantee expires on the 23rd. Has anyone else run into a problem similar to this, or does anyone have any advice? Please do not troll this thread talking about the overuse of replacements. I agree, but some are legitimate and I have limited time. :-/

Thanks in advance for any help!
    You can tell them that the store closest to you is out of inventory. They will ship you a replacement. I bought my phone at a corporate store and they shipped me a replacement, just fyi.
    01-21-09 05:40 PM
    Call back and talk to someone else. Sometimes you just get someone unwilling to do their job. Ask for a supervisor if you get the same answer. What you are asking for us not at all unreasonable. Good luck.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-21-09 05:52 PM
    uh that's not right... they should be able to do a replacement through any means as long as it was purchased through verizon directly (website, store, telesales). They only time they cannot do an exchange is if it was NOT purchased through verizon direct, ie agent, premium retailer

This is not correct. Even if it was bought at an agent Verizon WILL exchange it over the phone or in a store. The ONLY time they will not is if it's within the first 30 days because you have to exchange it where you purchased it at that point. Even if it's from a corporate Verizon store.
    01-21-09 06:01 PM
    Yea, that is some bad info! I would request compensation for your anguish!
    01-21-09 06:03 PM
    This is not correct. Even if it was bought at an agent Verizon WILL exchange it over the phone or in a store. The ONLY time they will not is if it's within the first 30 days because you have to exchange it where you purchased it at that point. Even if it's from a corporate Verizon store.
    well yea, because after the first 30 days it becomes warranty and isn't handled at an agent.

And I've gone to plenty of different stores in my first 30 days to exchange various phones i've bought at corporate.
    01-21-09 06:15 PM
    I work at an agent and will handle any FRU exchange. I simply ask if the issue you're having is one you can live with while FRU overnights you the phone. If yes, then I ask you to wait while I call in and order it for you. If not then I direct you to the nearest Verizon corporate store.
    01-21-09 06:19 PM
    I work at an agent and will handle any FRU exchange. I simply ask if the issue you're having is one you can live with while FRU overnights you the phone. If yes, then I ask you to wait while I call in and order it for you. If not then I direct you to the nearest Verizon corporate store.
    same here, but technically its not really coming from the agent. we try to ddo it it for them, but more often than not people want their replacements now, especially when there's a corporate store down the street from us
    01-21-09 06:31 PM
    Mailing you a new phone and picking one up from CS is the same thing...sounds like you got a lazy operator
    01-21-09 06:34 PM
    O.K. You stated that someone bought you the phone and gave it to you correct? If so, did they purchase it for you under your telephone number or did they purchase it under their own account or full retail and then give it to you? The answer to that question could greatly effect the way your return is processed. Although the phone hasn't been out for long they still have to be able to trace where the original phone was purchased to verify the warranty. It has been out for two months and you are only guaranteed to get a new one if it is within the 30 days. The phone could've been purchased in November which even though you have had it for less than 30 days would put you over the 30 day WFG and you should get the refurbished unit. The best thing to do is to take the phone to any local store and if you have the original receipt it would make it easier to verify the warranty and replace the device. If you could make it to the original store location and you don't have the receipt they should be able to pull the information. I would suggest, if you want to be made whole, go into a store with the receipt and get it exchanged. If they don't have any then they will order you one. And remember "poor planning on your part doesn't constitute an emergency" on theirs.
    01-21-09 06:39 PM
    Thanks for all the quick responses!

I am still within the first 30 days. Are you saying that means the CS rep was correct in saying I had to take it to a store for a replacement?
    01-21-09 11:15 PM
    Sorry for the bump, just looking for some final clarification on that before I call back today.
    01-22-09 02:30 PM
    Sorry for the bump, just looking for some final clarification on that before I call back today.
    Did you read my post? Very clear cut information.
    01-22-09 03:53 PM
    Did you read my post? Very clear cut information.
    I did. If you had read my original post you'd know that my worry free guarantee expires tomorrow and that I cannot make it to a store before then, since I do not have a local one. I do not want a refurbished unit through the warranty, I want a new device. That was very clear cut information. Yours was clear cut as well, just irrelevant.

And yes, it was purchased under my telephone number with the use of my NE2.
    01-22-09 04:18 PM
    I did. If you had read my original post you'd know that my worry free guarantee expires tomorrow and that I cannot make it to a store before then, since I do not have a local one. I do not want a refurbished unit through the warranty, I want a new device. That was very clear cut information. Yours was clear cut as well, just irrelevant.

And yes, it was purchased under my telephone number with the use of my NE2.
    If the information you provided is correct then you shouldn't have a problem with getting the device replaced with a new one. It's not rocket science. It's making a call, telling someone the issue and requesting a replacement. If you have to speak with a supervisor then do so. Posting the same question over and over again and bumping your thread isn't going to fix your current problem. Are you going to blame the people who responded to your thread for the fact that you didn't do things within the time period that you were given or didn't get the answer you wanted? Simply put, call, tell them your issue, get the new device. If not, let it go.
    01-22-09 05:20 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD