Okay I've been coding for 5+ years now and in that time I've coded quite a few different languages. Java being one of those languages which is what a lot of blackberry apps are built in. I was just wondering if anyone else has experence in building an app? I've been looking into it and it really seems straight forward and easy to build. Also does anyone pay for apps? Also I know there is a lot of money to be made making apps for the iphone but what about blackberry users?

Also does anyone have any ideas for an app right now? I was trying to think of something but nothing came to mind right now. If you have something in mind I could start coding it up and see how it goes.
    11-20-08 12:43 AM
    if you make the right apps, people will buy them.

for instance. the blackberry is aimed at a corporate user, there are a decent amount of apps are deemed as corporate tools. if u can find something that wasn't made, or find something that was made ****ty and make it a **** of a lot better...you can definatly capitalize on it
    11-20-08 12:47 AM
    if you make the right apps, people will buy them.

for instance. the blackberry is aimed at a corporate user, there are a decent amount of apps are deemed as corporate tools. if u can find something that wasn't made, or find something that was made ****ty and make it a **** of a lot better...you can definatly capitalize on it
    Yeah that's what I was thinking too. Business apps seem like they would be a bigger hit then random useless apps like the iPhone. Like a magical 8 ball on your phone. Who would really pay for that?

I'm a huge college football, nfl fan so I was thinking about some kind of app that would pull scores, news and updates. The downside with that though is the season is almost over so I guess I could save that till summer.
    11-20-08 12:50 AM
    theres an app called Viigo that basically does a ****load of things, check that out. But if you could make an App like Shazam for the iphone, id buy it. if you could make half of the awesome apps that the iphone has id probably buy them.
    11-20-08 12:58 AM
    There is a lot of demand for app development on BlackBerries. I have a commercial app called Viira which has been doing quite well. I also get cold calls from people every week looking for someone with experience to help them with their BlackBerry projects.

It is a very new industry but definitely a happening place.
    11-20-08 01:04 AM
    theres an app called Viigo that basically does a ****load of things, check that out. But if you could make an App like Shazam for the iphone, id buy it. if you could make half of the awesome apps that the iphone has id probably buy them.
    That's good to know. I'm going to get started creating an app right now and see what comes of it. I'm not quite sure how to get it mainstream though through blackberry's app manager but I'm sure they will release info on how to do that.
    11-20-08 01:06 AM
    check out RIM's dev package on there website
    11-20-08 01:07 AM
    Yeah that's what I was thinking too. Business apps seem like they would be a bigger hit then random useless apps like the iPhone. Like a magical 8 ball on your phone. Who would really pay for that?

I'm a huge college football, nfl fan so I was thinking about some kind of app that would pull scores, news and updates. The downside with that though is the season is almost over so I guess I could save that till summer.
    Hey dmglakewood, I agree with you completely, I don't think BB users are so dumb they would pay for magic 8 ball app or something like that stupid iphone restaurant slot machine app that you shake like they show in the commercial.

The problem about the football related idea is that you are talking about being in the content delivery/aggregation business. This is already dominated by a variety of companies.
    11-20-08 01:24 AM
    I know one 'must have killer app' that I have not seen yet for the Storm is (on the Treo) called Diddlebug. It enables you to write directly onto the touch screen which is really handy for jotting down a quick handwritten note onto the screen.

On the Treo it is a must have for everyone, so I'm sure it will be the same for the Storm.
    11-20-08 01:27 AM
    I know one 'must have killer app' that I have not seen yet for the Storm is (on the Treo) called Diddlebug. It enables you to write directly onto the touch screen which is really handy for jotting down a quick handwritten note onto the screen.

On the Treo it is a must have for everyone, so I'm sure it will be the same for the Storm.
    i dont think you can use stylus' with the storm. =\
    11-20-08 01:31 AM
    Hey dmglakewood, I agree with you completely, I don't think BB users are so dumb they would pay for magic 8 ball app or something like that stupid iphone restaurant slot machine app that you shake like they show in the commercial.

The problem about the football related idea is that you are talking about being in the content delivery/aggregation business. This is already dominated by a variety of companies.
    I beg to differ, I am the CEO of a million dollar firm & I would LOVE to have such an app as the restaurant slot machine app. My point is that business users like & needs these types of apps too. We would enjoy using them IF they are available. I want that app that tracks your friends on a map like I saw on the behold commercial moments ago. Helio used to have one like that called Buddy Beacon (dayum I miss Helio!!)
    11-20-08 01:41 AM
    And what does the firm do?

My friend is CEO of a BB software engineering company and when he and his people poll existing and potential users they continually find that they would NEVER buy toy apps. What they do find over and over is that they people want to get info and tasks done ASAP. So they sound like people who aren't going to be letting a computer decide their lunch or diner because they know what they want.

If you are in the software eng business as well are you more on the entertainment side then business side?
    11-20-08 01:54 AM
    One more thing, kind of related to the thread in general. What really gets me frustrated with being a BB dev is when you have an amazing idea that you know would be a cash machine only to find out that it's technically impossible because RIM's APIs are too limited.
    11-20-08 01:58 AM

Well the good thing is these companies put out rss feeds for other sites to use. So I could pull the data from these rss feeds and display them in an organized app. I could also pull from a few different sites and sort it based on team, players etc.

The only downside with that is you would have to use your finger to draw or jot things down. A stylus won't work with the storm. Although an app like this wouldn't be too bad. A few other phones have the ability to jot something down or draw something then send it via sms. That's not a bad idea either.
    11-20-08 02:02 AM
    And what does the firm do?

My friend is CEO of a BB software engineering company and when he and his people poll existing and potential users they continually find that they would NEVER buy toy apps. What they do find over and over is that they people want to get info and tasks done ASAP. So they sound like people who aren't going to be letting a computer decide their lunch or diner because they know what they want.

If you are in the software eng business as well are you more on the entertainment side then business side?
    I have a 9 year old Healthcare Informatics Firm (some of my clients are healthcare's biggest giants like GE, Siemens, & McKesson). I am definitely interested the business side of things. HOWEVER, I think one of the things that has happened in the past year or so is that you have more & more multimedia focused BB users who would like the integration of business apps as WELL as those fun or entertaining apps. How many iPhone users are there? Are we ALL to assume that their are no business oriented professionals who own one? As Business oriented users who do NOT have sticks up our henies all the time, give us the OPTION to purchase those types of apps instead of limiting us to business as usual. Multimedia apps have been a boon for Apple & Apple Developers. There is something to be said for that experience(& the obvious profits it generates) & users are obviously craving it & buying into it in DROVES. Ka-CHING!!!
    11-20-08 02:18 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD