I'm a Verizon subscriber in the US. I'm occasionally out in the boondocks where I don't get CDMA service. If I wanted GSM back-up for voice calls only, could I use an AT&T or T-Mobile prepaid SIM card in my Storm? Would it be as easy as unlocking the Storm and activating a prepaid card? I wouldn't be interested in getting the "BlackBerry services" while I'm in GSM mode, so would have to update the service books or have a BlackBerry service plan on the GSM carrier? Thank you.
    02-20-09 09:14 PM
    Should work just fine. I popped my girlfriend's T-Mobile SIM in my 9530 after unlocking to verify and could both place a call and receive a call on her number.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-20-09 09:19 PM
    Thanks for the info. I bought a T-Mobile prepaid SIM card online (from T-Mobile) for $7, and I signed-up for their "Pay by the Day" plan. The plan has $1 access fee every day I use the plan (there is no access fee on the days I don't use it.) The plan has unlimited calling from 1900 to 0700 and to any other T-Mobile line all the time. It's 10� a minute otherwise. The account can be refilled in $10 increments, and the account funding expires every 90 days.

Thus far...everything seems to be working well on my Storm. I had to set my "Network Technology" setting from "Global" to "1XEV" because the phone would occasionally automatically switch from Verizon to T-Mobile in marginal Verizon service areas. But at least I have voice (and SMS) service when I need it in places like Elsberry, Missouri.
    02-28-09 02:21 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD