so now that we all know that this thing is going to have open gps, whats the best gps program out there. i really like the vz nav, but i dont want to pay per month for this program. the things i like about it are the ease of use, and big display. i am going to make a bracket and mount it on the triple tree of my gsxr and would like to be able to view my directions and speed at ease. so what programs would you all recommend for me. i have been using google maps on my old curve, but i dont belive it will work good on this device, for what i am trying to do. i dont mind paying for a program, i would just prefer not to pay a monthly fee.
    11-19-08 09:07 PM
    What makes you sure that the GPS is unlocked for sure?

Anyway, if it is, I highly recommend and swear by TeleNav, though that won't help you eliminate a $9.99 monthly fee, nor do they have a special version for the Storm at this time.... Other than that, I don't know of any other, good/free turn-by-turn navigation solutions.
    11-19-08 09:44 PM
    Garmin Mobile looks like a pretty good deal for $99.99.

Garmin | Garmin Mobile for BlackBerry - Turn your BlackBerry into a savvy navigator with Garmin Mobile

They don't have it listed for the Storm at the moment, but I just filled out the form that says "My phone isn't listed", hopefully I'll get an email back soon saying yea or nay.
    Last edited by Spotmark; 11-19-08 at 09:53 PM.
    11-19-08 09:48 PM
    Spotmark - Thanks much!

I'm thinking that - especially since it has "Navigate to entries in your Contact List" it's a pretty good replacement for VZnav if/when it becomes available for the Storm - assuming you keep it for more that like 10 months.

One downside to me - from what I've heard GPS will be unlocked - but aGPS will be locked to VZNAV. aGPS is one reason I'm getting rid of my Sprint q9c - it talke too long to lock.
    11-19-08 10:00 PM
    One thing about the Garmin GPS is that it's only good for the life of the phone. If you have to return the phone for any reason you get another one then you will have to fork over another 99.99. I'm not so sure I'd want to jump on the Garmin wagon until most of the bugs are fixed. And they're will be bugs, there almost always are in brand new releases.
    11-19-08 10:03 PM
    well I have a question regarding aGPS and GPS. Your standard GPS unit you buy, that's not using aGPS is it? How could it use a carriers towers if its not part of the carrier? Those seem to go just fine without aGPS if that is the case.
    11-19-08 10:04 PM
    No idea - all I know is that my Q9c is slow! I had a "V" with VZNav - and that was way faster.

Also - good points Berry!
    11-19-08 10:12 PM
    VZNav is pretty good honestly, i love the program, very easy to use especially if your considering dash mounting it. Not to mention VZNav is updated constantly
    11-19-08 10:16 PM
    VZnav is excellent, but $9.99/month is too expensive.
    11-19-08 10:21 PM
    Ditto. I think they'd more than double their users if the price was cut in half, which could earn them more money in the long run. Hey Verizon, ever heard of volume strategy? If you have 100,000 people using it now for $10/m you may get 250,000 using it at $5/m. I'd sign up for $60/year ($5/mo).
    11-19-08 10:31 PM
    Someone out there told me that MSN's map service would offer turn by turn? Right or wrong?
    11-19-08 10:31 PM
    VZNav is pretty good honestly, i love the program, very easy to use especially if your considering dash mounting it. Not to mention VZNav is updated constantly
    yup i love vz nav, but i dont want to spend the extra money on that feature ya know. but since i am going for mounting it and it seems like its the overall best choice for me i may have to consider adding it once again.

but i am still looking for other ideas tho
    11-19-08 10:40 PM
    When the Garmin map updates were $100, ten bucks a month seemed almost reasonable for a constantly updated product. Now that the updates are going for $50, Verizon will have to drop their price to attract me.
    11-19-08 10:40 PM
    id like a good mapping program with traffic thats what sells me on VZNAV its alot better then my garmin msn traffic
    11-19-08 10:44 PM
    when you think about it, 9.99 a month is a pretty decent price considering how a lot of GPS systems become outdated at one point, not in terms of map updates but features as well and lots of other things. a 2 year contract will run you around 250 every 2 years, where as a full out mountable GPS will run you more for the high end ones (i know they have cheap ones). also in car GPS system cost upwards of 1,000 dollars whether it be stock or aftermarket. I think its a rather good deal considering you get a lot of features that they add, you can carry it around with you, and if you decide you don't really need the GPS after a year you didn't dig urself in a big hole.
    11-19-08 10:49 PM
    You can get basic GPS systems for under 200 bucks with maps during this holiday season. As for extra feautures . . . if that was important you would go with a nuvi and not a phone anyway. I would expect a 250 GPS I get to last me more than 2 years for mapping which is why I struggle with paying for VZnav
    11-19-08 10:54 PM
    Nav4All is a great free option, but the GPS availability on the storm is not totally known right now. BB Maps should be able to access it but everything else is gray area i thought. I have never needed anything more than Google Maps, but I am very good with directions (partial photo memory)
    11-19-08 11:00 PM
    Hey Folks, did anyone read the review on BlackBerry Storm Review (Verdict: Not Quite a Perfect Storm) ???? Maybe I misunderstood what he said, but here is a quik snippet......."Okay, so you've got Verizon's Navigator as the main navigator app. It's okay and has some solid features, but not as easy to use as Google Maps. I haven't roadtested it, but it's more responsive than on other phones I've used it on, and benefits from the Storm's big screen."

My question is this...Since he didn't mention the use of google maps, is it possible that the GPS isn't unlocked or did he not just try adding it in?

DISREGARD. FOUND IT ON BGR'S REVIEW. YOU JUST HAVE TO DOWNLOAD DIRECT FROM GOOGLE MAPS. NOT IN THE APP LIST.
    Last edited by dhalushka; 11-20-08 at 11:51 AM. Reason: Found the answer
    11-20-08 11:24 AM
    Seems the Storm is coming with an upgraded version of VZN. Does anyone happen to know what the new features are or if those of us sticking with our Curves will be able to upgrade to the newer VZN?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-20-08 11:36 AM
    To follow up on my earlier post,

Apparently only the aGPS chip is locked to Verizon/Navgator, and the standard GPS chip is available to all programs. From what I understand, this means that instead of say a 3 meter accuracy rating, we get a 10 meter rating. So that would only affect turn-by-turn navigation (might not get notified quick enough) That would explain why people have been saying that turn-by-turn is only in Navigator....
    11-21-08 12:17 AM
    from an early post asking what the new feature is.... i believe its the traffic and weather feature that wasn't available before.

9.99 a month isnt that expensive if you think about it. i just got my mom a gps unit for chistmas and paid 300 bucks for that. i looked the updates and after 30 days i have to pay for map updates and thats 79.99 a year. so 379.99 for 1 year pretty much and 79.99 for each year after that. so its more expensive and you dont have some of the features you do with vznav like traffic....which is a service most gps companies charge for and vznav has that included. also the fact that i never have to worry about actually doing an update of maps is nice. I use mine all the time and the only thing i dislike about vznav is when you start to get into cities where they have HOV lanes like DC. Vznav doesnt take into account HOV lanes that might only be open in a certain direction for specific periods of the day. That kinda throws off your route a bit but you can always compensate for that.
    11-21-08 12:36 AM
    from an early post asking what the new feature is.... i believe its the traffic and weather feature that wasn't available before.

9.99 a month isnt that expensive if you think about it. i just got my mom a gps unit for chistmas and paid 300 bucks for that. i looked the updates and after 30 days i have to pay for map updates and thats 79.99 a year. so 379.99 for 1 year pretty much and 79.99 for each year after that. so its more expensive and you dont have some of the features you do with vznav like traffic....which is a service most gps companies charge for and vznav has that included. also the fact that i never have to worry about actually doing an update of maps is nice. I use mine all the time and the only thing i dislike about vznav is when you start to get into cities where they have HOV lanes like DC. Vznav doesnt take into account HOV lanes that might only be open in a certain direction for specific periods of the day. That kinda throws off your route a bit but you can always compensate for that.
    but when you are out of cell phone service areas (times you might REALLY need a map)

i am reminder of a "Far Side" by Gary Larson cartoon:

Attachment 6156

The GPS unit will work from its 2-4 gig memory, the Navigator wont.
    11-21-08 01:12 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD