So that time has come. Where this economy has choked my income so much that we have to trim our Cell phone bill. Unfortunately that means suspending our blackberry service for our 9530 storms (My gf's and I) and re activating our old devices. For me that means going back to my LG voyager and its subpar touchscreen and capabilities and for my gf going back to her old chocolate 2. So bye for now everybody, ill miss trying leaked OS's and updating apps and mostly discussing and arguing about what's going on with RIM and CB . I wonder and hope we don't get the ETF for switching devices before both our 2 year extensions are done with ...... :-(

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Last edited by WhoolioPreludee; 11-13-09 at 11:37 AM.
    11-13-09 11:29 AM
    Hmmm...I've been in the same position as you...BUT you can still use your BB's... just use them as phones without the data plan ?
    I did for a year and it wasn't that bad....I could still add wallpapers and ringtones and theme's using desktop manager....still had use of my extensive address book...and text messaging became my mini-email....just giving you an alternative instead of going back to your old devices
    11-13-09 11:46 AM
    how did you do that. I tried and VZW rep said that BB's are "required" to have a Email/Data plan. I an very interested in going that route. let me know ASAP. Thanks

11-13-09 11:51 AM
    That sucks man
    As far as I know with VZW you can't (like you were saying) run your BBs without the data plan. Try the 800 number but I believe your out of luck for now.
    11-13-09 12:00 PM
    how did you do that. I tried and VZW rep said that BB's are "required" to have a Email/Data plan. I an very interested in going that route. let me know ASAP. Thanks

Probably because you got your BB from Verizon, most likely for free or for very little....therefore the email/data plan was part of that package deal and maybe your contract says that you can't drop the data plan without paying them something like $200 default and that's what the rep probably means.
    For me I didn't have a blackberry from them so I just put my Sim card into an unlocked blackberry and was able to use it just as a cell phone...without a data plan. Talk to another rep...they all tell different stories....tell them you simply want to drop the data plan for a while but still honor the contract with them....maybe they will work with you...hope so
    11-13-09 12:04 PM
    Probably because you got your BB from Verizon, most likely for free or for very little....therefore the email/data plan was part of that package deal and maybe your contract says that you can't drop the data plan without paying them something like $200 default and that's what the rep probably means.
    For me I didn't have a blackberry from them so I just put my Sim card into an unlocked blackberry and was able to use it just as a cell phone...without a data plan. Talk to another rep...they all tell different stories....tell them you simply want to drop the data plan for a while but still honor the contract with them....maybe they will work with you...hope so
    This is not true, you can drop the data plan at anytime as long as you switch to a non-smartphone. The data plan is not tied to your 2-year contract. I recently renewed my contract with two new blackberry storm 2 phones and canceled the data plans on them as soon as I received them and flipped them on eBay. Still using my old phones with no data plan.
    11-13-09 12:18 PM
    This is not true, you can drop the data plan at anytime as long as you switch to a non-smartphone. The data plan is not tied to your 2-year contract. I recently renewed my contract with two new blackberry storm 2 phones and canceled the data plans on them as soon as I received them and flipped them on eBay. Still using my old phones with no data plan.
    Here with Rogers/Fido you have to pay a default payment/penalty if you drop a data plan....its their way of getting back some of the money because they gave you the bb device for free. So basically for you they gave you 2 new storms and as soon as you got them you cancelled the data plans and sold the storms....Wow...that wouldn't happen here...that's over a thousand dollars in hardware they just gave you without any penalty......I always thought you guys in the US have it better than us
    11-13-09 12:25 PM
    i know with Verizon they make you get the data plan..kinda sucks especially financially. However, I also had a BB through Tmobile and I didn't have to have a data plan...at the time I paid $9.99 additional for email. So maybe once your contract is up you can see about going to another carrier(if this is an option) to use your BB without the data plan.
    11-13-09 12:36 PM
    No data no Berry at VZW
    11-13-09 01:10 PM
    so what would happen if I turn the data plan off the storm. Activate my voyager then after that's done I call *228 and press opt 3 to switch the device. I wonder if that way I could use my storm just as a phone without a data plan for the meantime

11-13-09 01:36 PM
    so what would happen if I turn the data plan off the storm. Activate my voyager then after that's done I call *228 and press opt 3 to switch the device. I wonder if that way I could use my storm just as a phone without a data plan for the meantime

I think you should try it because what's the worst that could happen

11-13-09 01:45 PM

I can tell you what will happen, *228 will transfer you to a CSR. They will be happy to add Blackberry Web and eMail to your account for $29.99 a month.

I tried that but no go. I have a full service Storm and was given two more Storms for free. I wanted to give one to a family member for calls and SMS only. I could not do it.
    11-13-09 01:48 PM
    Ok so is there absolutely any way of using the 9530 without a data plan with VZW? Wether fooling vzw or by the books? Anyone . I don't want to leave my 9530.......

11-13-09 08:27 PM
    dang dude. Between you and girl you both cant come up with $60 a month for data plans?

I think your GF is going to be saying Goodbye to WhoolioPreludee, pretty soon
    11-13-09 09:08 PM
    There is no way to have a BB on Verizon without a data plan, its pretty much law and no way to get around it.

11-13-09 09:48 PM
    Well our bill would go from 200 to about 80 bucks

11-13-09 09:52 PM
    And she's way more than just my gf. aside from being my friend, mate , and the mother of my child but were not married so therefore I refer to her as my gf .

11-13-09 09:59 PM
    it may not seem like a lot but going from 2200 a month plus 1400 she earned to me getting laid off 2 months after moving in a new apartment and her checks going to 800 a month . Yeah. Cuts gotta be made

11-13-09 10:03 PM
    yea i understand. im currently moving out my apt to stay with my gf... we both pay $800 a month rent utilities each , so we wised up.
    11-13-09 10:40 PM
    Well our bill would go from 200 to about 80 bucks

1 Verizon BB data plan = $30/month. In your case $60/month.

So your bill will go from $200 to $80 by getting rid 2 BlackBerry plans?

What else are you getting rid of?
    11-13-09 10:47 PM
    Vz navigator off both lines, unlimited SMS/mms both

11-14-09 12:18 AM
    1 Verizon BB data plan = $30/month. In your case $60/month.

So your bill will go from $200 to $80 by getting rid 2 BlackBerry plans?

What else are you getting rid of?
    What does it matter to you anyway? Give the guy a break! He is already down so why make such unecessary remarks!
    11-14-09 01:24 AM
    If anyone wants to really help I am seeking work in the Valley or LA area. Forklift certified, machine operator exp. And management experience. Thanks in advance to anyone with info

11-14-09 01:46 AM
    Dude, I hear ya...I haven't worked in over a year and things are getting pretty tight around here. Worst part is that my SO is now out of work too...let go less than a month after we bought a house. Only thing saving us was that we had some money in the bank, but that won't last forever. I also have no debt other than the house. Sucks because I'm between a rock and a hard place as far as finding a job. I feel like I've been black listed or something...nobody wants to even talk to me. And the longer I'm out the harder it is to get back. I also was lead on to thinking I had a job several times and it kept falling through. Hard to explain, but basically the job is mine when available, but "available" keeps getting pushed back. I can't wait any longer for it.

I wish you the best!
    11-14-09 02:23 AM
    Its bad out here too son .. you may have a job , but you arent gettin the hours you used too .. so its less hours . same pay . damn difficult to support ya fam ..

work together by all means where you can .. ppl gotta be ppl and start live "village like" .. or we F$#@!d
    11-14-09 02:31 AM
26 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD