Im going to verizon to get my fourth storm 1, I would really like to upgrade to the storm 2, for the simple fact of more app memory. Regardless I have a question, Why is that I have run out of app memory? I tried memory cleaners, I've tried to erase all the apps that I don't use on a regular basis, but still after I've re-booted many of times I still have under 5M of app memory. I currently have 7 third party apps including one theme, I also have ten add-on apps. I know it seems like I have a lot on my bb, but my GF has a lot more. I've had a lot of apps that I would download to try and a few hours later I would remove them. (I just did't erase the app icon) I went to Options, Applications, and deleted them. Can someone please help me, the only thing I have not done is totally wipe my bb and reload it, and truthfully I don't want to resort to that. My bb in my opinion should not just crap out because I want to try different apps.
    02-25-10 07:50 AM
    Themes can be known to be a cause of a leak. Also, some of your apps as well and if you don't close out of them totally, they can run in the background and draw memory. 17 total apps is a lot, and even if you download and remove them, they can sometimes stay in the system.
    02-25-10 07:52 AM
    list the apps please...also are you only booting up with 5 MBs?
    02-25-10 08:02 AM
    I got my theme from here. I know how to close out the apps, I learned that the day I got my bb from here as well. How can I remove them totally from the system then? I know 17 apps is a lot, but like I said my GF has at least eight more apps and she's still on her first bb storm.
    02-25-10 08:09 AM
    As howarmat said, list the apps please. People will be able to tell you if any of them are known memory hogs/if any of them don't play nice with one another.
    02-25-10 08:10 AM
    well as far as the add-ons, BB app world, BB app center, BB maps, BB messenger, Brickbreaker, Documents To Go (trial version), Facebook, Google Talk, Memo Pad, n BB Twitter, and for third party apps I have, com _plazmic_theme_Dave_Pro_5_0, Fios TV Remote DVR, Google Maps, Pandora, skySYNC, StormSlider Lite, and WeatherBug Elite.
    02-25-10 08:13 AM
    I know that google maps is a memory hog, but I do close it out without sharing my latitude location.
    02-25-10 08:15 AM
    get rid of app world, it is a terrible hog.
    02-25-10 08:16 AM
    Really, App world, thanks cdowner. I would have never thought that. Thanks
    02-25-10 08:21 AM
    Themes and app world are the two most listed as memory problems. There are a lot of other opinions as well with some of the others you have.
    02-25-10 08:22 AM
    Oh, and I'm booting with less then 5MB
    02-25-10 08:24 AM
    You should try this: wipe the entire storm so there is absolutely nothing on it, and reload the apps you find necessary one by one, to see which one could be causing a memory issue.
    02-25-10 08:29 AM
    You should try this: wipe the entire storm so there is absolutely nothing on it, and reload the apps you find necessary one by one, to see which one could be causing a memory issue.
    yeah sounds like this is needed....also get rid of BBMaps since you have google maps installed. BB app center too, its useless
    02-25-10 08:32 AM
    If I totally wipe it, will it remove all the other apps that I don't see they may be in my bb system memory?
    02-25-10 08:34 AM
    It will remove everything on the phone.
    02-25-10 08:38 AM
    I also have a question about my email contacts. This just started today without me making any changes in my options. When I go to write an email and I go to choose what contact to write to it's supposed to show the actual address, it doesn't, it says "Content Protection Enabled"... Why all of the sudden did this happen and how can I fix this?
    02-25-10 08:44 AM
    I agree with the wipe. I was booting at 17mb and dropping to 7 for a long time. Did my first wipe this week and with all the same apps I had before on my phone plus one new one I am now booting at 36mb and holding steady. Wiping was pretty easy. I used BBSAK to back up third party apps, backed up data with DM, wiped with BBSAK, and reloaded with DM. Was straight forward.
    02-25-10 08:50 AM
    I really appreciate the help, and I'm sorry for asking so many questions, but I have another one. I know that some apps or services use BB Maps, will those apps and services be able to load Google maps instead? Also, will the device automatically set Google Maps as the default or do I have to change that myself and How?
    02-25-10 08:51 AM
    yeah sounds like this is needed....also get rid of BBMaps since you have google maps installed. BB app center too, its useless
    i wouldnt say its useless. I couldnt figure out how to install the superpages app without BB app world

and superpages app is my favorite 411/yellowpages app.
    02-25-10 08:57 AM
    Google maps is a hog agree another thing is how many groups are you in on bbm because if your in a few and the chats are constantly going on that could be a big problem

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-25-10 09:12 AM
    I actually don't have any groups in my bbm, I have 15 contacts and usually one chat open all the time.
    02-25-10 09:14 AM
    i wouldnt say its useless. I couldnt figure out how to install the superpages app without BB app world

and superpages app is my favorite 411/yellowpages app.
    how is app center not useless? what do you use it for that you cant get from app world, crackberry/mobihand or off the web?
    02-25-10 09:39 AM
    how is app center not useless? what do you use it for that you cant get from app world, crackberry/mobihand or off the web?
    Plus a big ONE!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-25-10 10:56 AM
    If you're only booting up with 5MB then something is weird. I would wipe the phone and reinstall the OS with only the OS files you need/use. There is a LOT of information in the OS and tips sub forums to help you get the OS lightened up using Crackmeme, Shrnk-A-Os, or other utilities. You'll want to make sure sample photos/videos are removed from the OS, all languages you don't use, and whatever else. This will lighten the OS by 5 MB or more depending on what you do. Make sure you don't keep miles of messages on the phone that you don't need, etc.

Just for reference, I had 30 apps installed on my 9530 and booted up with 24 MB. And I didn't even delete VZ Navigator or Visual Voicemail when loading the OS. I DON'T use themes anymore...too much trouble with them and I never found one I liked better than OEM anyway.
    02-26-10 12:18 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD