So I am going to europe in five days, and I was wondering something about my data. I was thinking of going through Verizon for international data only, but a rep told me both the calling and data need to be added. Before I left I forgot to ask if I have to pay for both, or just voice if I use it. So my question is if anyone has experience with this, can you tell me if I am paying for both? I only want the data... So if I will have to pay extra for both, what is an alternative service provider in the Italian region which offers data as well? I am looking for the best way to accomplish this.
    Thank you for the help.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-09-09 11:04 AM
    hey..i think first u have to call vzw to set up intl calling....then u can switch temporarily to the international data plan, which i believe is a64.99 a month but will be prorated for the time u are there...make sure u activate ur sim card through them and also hit *228 o update ur roaming capabilities before u leave otherwise it wont work there.....i dont believe there is a voice plan..it will be somewhrere btwn 99-1.99 a minute ..im not sure of any local companies u can use over there.
    07-09-09 11:17 AM
    Just call Verizon Global Support, they will explain all your options to you.

If you want to use local companies abroad, you will need to unlock your phone to use different SIM cards and then obtain a SIM card from the local carrier to use that service. Other option is to unlock your Verizon SIM card for use in other countries on the Verizon network. Both options require you to call Global Support.
    07-09-09 11:29 AM
    Will be calling them

07-09-09 09:10 PM
    The main reason I got the Storm was for my vacation to Rome just a couple of weeks ago. I chose to have just the phone and not data. What I didn't do was activate the sim card for international prior to leaving and had to use my sister's phone while over there to contact Verizon to get me set up. Took about 20 minutes at .99/minute. Worked great after that!
    07-10-09 01:16 AM
    So I called. Got it unlocked and set up the international data/voice for the day I leave. My original question was whether or not I will be charged additionally for adding either data or voice. Now I know that they both come in one package for 64.99. I need the data so I had to get it, and this price replaces my current data plan so it is not something additional. I will just use a local sim for voice. Good thing I got my winmo with me so skype should work especially with the unlimited data I just got. I will have to switch in between though for email, but I have my laptop with me so hopefully I can tether if I am not close to wifi or a hard connection. Anyways, I think I have almost everything set

07-10-09 02:25 PM
    i'm going to the UK and France in a couple months so I called Verizon this week to find out about rates. i was told if i add the int'l calling, it's 3.99/month and my voice is .26/minute. i was also told data is .02/kb. this sounds much different than what i'm seeing here...
    07-10-09 03:17 PM
    I called yesterday to get my Storm set up for a trip to London and Ireland in 3 weeks... I didn't realize the data would be prorated so I think I'll call back and add that.

When I was on the phone, the girl asked for my SIM card number and I guess they activated it or something? Someone mentioned getting a "local sim" for voice... could someone please explain that?
    07-10-09 03:38 PM
    Glad I visited this thread... did some research and called up Verizon and had my phone unlocked so I could use another SIM card... will certainly save me a lot of money. It also turns out the data will only cost me $15 for the week I'm there, not the $64.99. The girl I spoke to yesterday also failed to activate my Verizon SIM card, so I would have been screwed.

Thanks to everyone who helped me save a lot of money.
    07-10-09 04:48 PM

When I was on the phone, the girl asked for my SIM card number and I guess they activated it or something? Someone mentioned getting a "local sim" for voice... could someone please explain that?
    Most countries abroad have pre-paid systems with SIM cards (in England/Ireland there are Vodaphone, Orange, T-Mobile UK for example) and you can get one of their SIM cards to use the local rate to call for the time you are there instead of Verizon's International rates.
    07-10-09 08:04 PM
    my dad was just in scotland for a week and he took his storm. i don't think he had to call verizon or anything. i do know it worked well though. he called me while i was backcountrying in olympic national park and we had a very good connection. blackberry messenger also worked very well.
    07-11-09 01:18 AM
    When I was on the phone, the girl asked for my SIM card number and I guess they activated it or something?
    No one asked me for any SIM info.... weird. They did tell me international roaming is activated on my departure day though so I should be good.

i'm going to the UK and France in a couple months so I called Verizon this week to find out about rates. i was told if i add the int'l calling, it's 3.99/month and my voice is .26/minute. i was also told data is .02/kb. this sounds much different than what i'm seeing here...
    That is a bit strange. And your main line is on Verizon with the data plan for BlackBerry?

07-11-09 01:34 AM
    I believe those prices are for when you are in the US calling abroad. I just unlocked both my Tours (Mine and hubbys) and set up global usage as we are going overseas soon. I asked the rep about a value plan and she said it would have no impact on the calls I would make or receive while I'm overseas.
    07-26-09 07:56 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD